The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » The Lean (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Just to add one more piece of information about the effect. This video shows the guy who I first saw do it. But his "Method" isn't intended for magic. You can see clearly how it's done. But it's for comedy (Funny too).
http://en.video.canoe.tv/video/comedy/ju......15438230

I've also seen street dancers do it (Like dance crews). One person would lie on their back and hold the ankles of the person who leans against their shoulders.

If any of you are looking for a rather unusual and low cost method to perform the lean type effect. Contact me. I've played around with a method. No charge or anything. I'll just share the basic concept with you. It's not complete and you'd have to work out more details. I just tried this idea out and it can work but I didn't fallow through on it because it's unlikely I'd perform it because it doesn't fit my style. Like I said it's pretty unusual but maybe it'll get your wheels turning. Smile

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
igam
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of igam
Here is some additional history that seems to have been missed by most: I saw this done, I believe it was in the 60's, by Bev Bergeron in a comedy golfing skit and it brought the house down. It was performed flawlessly without a hint as to the method.

If Bev were on here, he could give the exact details of how Red Skelton's writers tried to find out how Bev was doing this, even to the point of searching Bev's dressing room, uninvited! Funny thing is, they overlooked checking out the shoes!

See you in Nashville!

Igam
PaxMentis
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, CA
239 Posts

Profile of PaxMentis
Just some trivia....
Years ago when Doug first introduced the effect, we were looking for something different for a show we were producing. We met with Doug at his home. He knew we were there to discuss the effect and how it would work in the show. As I was sitting in his front room drinking a coke, Doug walked into the center of the living room and began to "fall forward". I immediately jumped up to grab him and at that moment realized I had just been "taken" by a highly skilled magician. I guess that's the price you pay when you mess with the pros. We bought the effect!
END of STORY.
Do not go where the path may lead, but go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
With Michael Jackson's death, the stunt takes a different turn.

It is one of those stunts that I think all solo dancers hope to do for an unsuspecting audience.

It does get attention.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
CanadianMagicguy
View Profile
New user
British Columbia, Canada
90 Posts

Profile of CanadianMagicguy
You can look up on-line the patent that Michael Jackson filed (in collaberation with two other people) on June 29, 1992 for a "Method and Means for Creating Anti-Gravity Illusion". This is the patent for his original lean shoes that were incorporated into his dance routine. The patent number is No.5,255,452 with the actual patent date being October 26,1993
There are several on-line patent directories where you can look it up.

Bruce
"Using words to describe magic is like using a screwdriver to cut roast beef"
ferrissteve
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of ferrissteve
Having bought the Lean from Malloy some years ago I can say that its a great effect. It does have some drawbacks (the large heavy plate being the biggest) and its not an "impromptu" effect, however for a creative performer it can work wonders. if you have access to the site where you plan to perform the day before...well you can have lot of fun. Just imagine burying your base plate below a layer of mulch and freaking out the lawn care guys the next morning with a cup of coffee in hand!!
in terms of physical shape/condition. one doesn't have to be in "Spartan" shape however it does help a great deal to be physically strong, both in the core and legs. Its not quite as simple as getting the prop and your ready to go, but pretty close. anyone contemplating this illusion will have a lot of fun with it provided they have the correct venue. (wouldn't recommend hauling this from birthday party to birthday party, as it does get heavy) but if you do platform work or are behind a counter (bar magician) you can have fun with this. Smile
PaxMentis
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, CA
239 Posts

Profile of PaxMentis
Just watched Jay Mattioli do "The Lean" on AGT. Great presentation. Check it out.
Do not go where the path may lead, but go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I saw Lacombe do it live and loved it... But is is NOT the same as the "lean" using the special shoes and floor plate.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
It was performed at the IBM Convention in Nashville last week.

The heavy steel plate is one of many methods available. Frankly, I learned it from professional dancers with the cleats built into the stage.

Even today, I secure props (like the metamorphosis trunk) with cleats and/or holes in the stage itself. (You are very unlikely to pull the building over!)

I have seen the steel plate lift before. Certainly, the audience did too.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
208 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
An earlier post mentioned Bev Bergeron's golf act where he leans. The story appears in a recent Linking Ring article if you want to read more about his experience.
Lynn Fox
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
Bill Irwin did a nice version in his show Regard of Flight.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2259 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Bill is amazing and a true artist in every sense. I would also imagine that he can make something as simple as this effect look more magical than most any magician.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
igam
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of igam
I just got a call from a friend that works at the 2009 Nashville IBM Convention hotel (Opryland) who said that smeone tried to contact me because they knew I was looking to buy a used "Lean" but they did not find me registered at the Convention Hotel. I live in Nashville and was not staying at the Convention Hotel. I worked the door to the Dealeres Room every day and talked to many great people, so I do not have a clue as to who was trying to reach me. Please PM me here.

Many thanks!
Igam
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
How about the illusion where you lean backwards, bending your knees?
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2259 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
That is Danny Cole's creation and not available at the time.
Ray Pierce
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thanks. Did Chris Angel perform that one?
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2259 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I believe he gave the rights to Criss and to Cyril Takayama as well. To my knowledge they are the only ones authorized to do it besides Danny.
Ray Pierce
daz222
View Profile
Elite user
Wales
439 Posts

Profile of daz222
I perform the backwards in a shop I work in, but I cheat lol.

I have a chair behind my counter and I stand on the bottom bar and put the backs of my knees against the seat part and lean backwards. From the front it looks great!

I have seen a few videos on youtube of people leaning backwards like in the matrix, I was wondering of the method for this too....

Daz
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Quote:
On 2009-07-08 16:18, Ray Pierce wrote:
I believe he gave the rights to Criss and to Cyril Takayama as well. To my knowledge they are the only ones authorized to do it besides Danny.

There's a french magician performing both the lean and the backwards, 'matrix' thing. His Youtube account is 'illusionsmadeinfrance' or something alike.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
Fabio,

It's 'illusionsmadeinparis'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJjY4KcnitI
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » The Lean (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL