The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » The Lean (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
thorin_10
View Profile
New user
Bilbao, Basque Country
56 Posts

Profile of thorin_10
Yogano has a version of leaning backwards called "La Superinclinaison" in his book.
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
So,

I have myself doing a backwards lean "matrix" style back in 1999, on video and to a room full of about 300 people. So can I sue Danny Cole for performance rights?

G0THIKE
MagicErik
View Profile
Loyal user
Sneek, Netherlands
284 Posts

Profile of MagicErik
Playing advocate of the devil...
Hmmmm. I really don't think that anyone can have the rights for a certain movement. Moving backwards just like in the movie The Matrix. You can have the rights for the apparatus, the gimmick, but not for that movement. If we do that we start to go in the wrong way in my opinion. Because if that were the case I could claim rights for the use of the colour orange in illusions or the use of 5 wheels under an illusion. I really think that mister Kole can't claim all the rights of moving a bit too far to the left, right, front or back with you body.... Just like Cutting Edge is not the same as a Zig-Zag, although they both cut a lady in half and you can't have the rights for cutting a lady in half. So if you come up with a different way to do a lean backwards than why in the world should you give Kole all the credits?
Look at this one for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25yFD55Lrls
It's Russian Ilya performing the lean just like in The Matrix. By no means it looks like the gimmick Kole uses. I don't see any reason why he should be paying rights to Kole for this effect?
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
By no means it looks like the gimmick Kole uses.

Gimmicks aren't supposed to be seen Smile

Posted: Sep 29, 2009 8:06am
By the way, the Russian guy is awesome! Loved the performance and the contextualized video.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
daz222
View Profile
Elite user
Wales
439 Posts

Profile of daz222
Fábio, what do you mean you arnt supposed to see the gimmick, I think the thing on his leg that looks like the support is meant to be a gun holster for 'Neo'?

Daz
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
I was too busy with my feeling of wonder and seriously admiring a well delivered performance that I din't stop it to pay attention and look for details or alleged 'flaws' or 'hey, waht is that on his leg?' sort of things.

I'm not on the mood, neither on the budget to build such thing (Not feeling like breaking my spine on the first tryout too), so I won't look for the secret. Yeah, I do indeed have my suspiscions, but I rather enjoy the performance.
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
Bert Easley was known for doing the lean back in the forties and fifties. He was "The Tipsy Trickster". Bert would walk out on stage dragging a Detour sign, and he would let it drop face down on the stage. Later in his act he would stand on the sign and do the lean. By that time most of the audience forgot about the sign.

I have also seen pictures of him standing on top of a small table doing the farthest lean imaginable.

If your ever in Phoenix go to Easley's Fun Shop. It's still owned and operated by Bert's family. (The shop opened in 1947)Ask to see the pictures of Bert doing the lean, they are in the stairwell and they are awesome.

Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
JimmyH
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of JimmyH
Danny's version is a real crowd pleaser and always gets a great reaction
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I just posted Bert Easley's photo, showing him doing "the lean," on his brief biography as a magic inventor on my site.

http://magicnook.com/forum/bioCDE.htm

Scroll down to Easley.

The article describing his method can be found in Genii, Vol. 45, September 1981. In it, Bert states that he did not invent the trick, but that it was in the repertoire of many famous circus clowns and was already old and well used when he started performing it in a stage production of "Pinnochio.". Bert made the effect portable with the addition of his "Detour Sign." He recalls giving the "Lean" rights to Bev Bergeron, who was able to perform it successfully in his comedy golf act. However Harry Blackstone, Jr. was too tall and heavy-set to use it. There are height and weight requirements, as well as athletic requirements, so it is not for everyone no matter how much they may wish to perform it.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
ALLEN TIPTON
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of ALLEN TIPTON
I first came across The Lean on an old black and white film. It was of 'Little Tich', a famous music hall artist in British Music Halls in the 19th. Century.
He was a tiny man who did an eccentric dance wearing very long, wooden bottom shoes. Because of their length he could lean forward easily at an acute angle to the ground. There are still pics of him. Type 'Little Tich Music Hall Artist, Images into Google and you will see The Lean.
Of course if you used his method, youd have to wear those long narrow shoes which were about, 17/18 inches long!
A few years back, when choreographing,an amateur Kiss Me Kate, the chorus boys came on in the dress rehearsal with hired costumes which included the costumier's idea of Medieval boots.
They were, narrow, covered with leatherette and were about 17 inches long. The guys came on like penguins wearing narrow flippers.Flip flop, flip flop. The MD, collapsed with laughter in the auditorium, nearly having a 'heart attack. My wife exclaimed ' Heavens, it's a gang of Little Tiches'.
Luckily the Theatre had done Camelot with their own wardrobe and had a supply of boots.
Allen Tipton..UK
Allen Tipton began magic at 9.Joined Staffs. Magic Soc at 14. President 8 times Guild Of Magicians Nottingham UK IBM member.1980 reproduced Dante's Show & made Magician Of Month by IBM Intern.President.Currently writing Dear Magician series in Abra magazi
Fabricem
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Fabricem
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Remember that a patent number mostly establishes a date and describes in detail the technique. It is not a historically correct document in terms of origin. It is just an ownership claim of knowledge and use. As an old marketing professor, I'm not sure most patents have any true economic value if push came to shove. The costs of defending can eat any ultimate benefit in many cases. Any improvement can usually get a subsequent patent. Knowing exactly how a product works increases the likelihood it can be improved. Therefore, gaining patents are often purposely avoided! Why tip off the competition?

It's a tough life protecting ideas in the real world. The real reason some patents are sought are to prevent someone else from getting the patent and trying to stop you from doing what you were doing before the new patent holder existed.

Some magicians only compete in contests to document a date when they were performing certain effects and acts. It can also put a date on the patter being used if the act is recorded. Again, it still does not "prove" they were historically first.

Bob Sanders
Magic by Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Thom Bliss
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern California
269 Posts

Profile of Thom Bliss
The Michael Jackson patent No. 5,255,452 has expired:

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/com/sol......expi.htm

Thom
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
I should pull my LEan out and start doing it again. It's been a while. I wear a size 13 and had to have Doug make me my own custom b**e plate. It's a fun little thing to do. I like the Criss Angel / Matrix lean (where you lean backwards) Any commercially available methods of this to date? I don't want to buy one, just am curious.

Robert Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1800 Posts

Profile of Anatole
This website:
http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Magician-H......239_.htm
offers a poster of Bert Easley doing the lean. Interestingly, the title of the page says: "Magician Herbert Easley's Angle on the Art of Cigarette Smoking That He Learned from an Old Clown."

I'm wondering if the $229,99 list price is a typo... The same site lists a bunch of magic posters at
http://www.allposters.com/gallery.asp?st......78F3CDF4
for prices ranging from about $24.99

There's a levitation photo poster shown here:
http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Magician-P......670_.htm
Does anyone recognize the magician?

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » The Lean (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL