The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Dressing down (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
What are advantages and disadvantages of dressing down? I can see the following as advantages:
The busker has an arrest warrant against him.
The busker has no residential area.
The busker is doing the 3 Card Monte illegally.
The busker is performing to his character.

Disadvantages:
The busker will attract less of a crowd.

What are your comments?

Start the flaming...
tom hughes
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of tom hughes
Sure....

why don't you stop trying to incite arguments and contribute something instead?

In fact... why don't you go out and do some busking?
http://www.ashevillemagic.com
http://www.themagictomshow.com
magician/magic show in asheville w.n.c.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
It's ok, you do not have to put anything if you can not think of an answer.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2720 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Sure, all those buskers out there with huge crowds around them are attracting less of a crowd.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
"Breaking in" a pitch is more important than what you wear. Once it's yours, clothing doesn't matter (as long as you're wearing something)
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I gotta, Dave. So you saying it all depends on how good the busker is and what he does, put the clothing a side.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Sort of... It's about establishing yourself first, interacting with the local authorities, knowing the local regs, not being seen as a nuisance, etc... After that it doesn't matter what you wear. You can't go storming in there like a circus sideshow and not draw some (negative) attention. My brief busking experience can be seen in my avatar. No bright clothes but definitely dressed differently than the rest. Low key, no amps, no big boxes, just me, a duffel bag and a table... And an envelope full of signed permits. Police stopped, watched, smiled and moved on.

But this is sounding too much like another thread where this was all said before.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Well said, Dave.

:applause: Smile Smile
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Dressing down can get you better tips.
If you look like you are extremely well off, who is going to tip?
Dress out of the ordinary, but not above the level of the crowd.
Never had a problem drawing a crowd.
Gwyd
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2009-04-08 11:50, Dave V wrote:
My brief busking experience can be seen in my avatar. No bright clothes but definitely dressed differently than the rest.

Wow, Dave, you called that dressing down? I like the colors of your vest.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I hardly think Gazzo is doing anything illegal or has any outstanding arrest warrants ... yet, the king of street performers works in a tee shirt and flip flops.

http://www.sunsetcelebration.org/performers/gazzo.JPG

It is not his clothing that draws a crowd and entertains people ... he does that part himself. Fancy suits easily turn into a crutch.

Clothing does not make one a street performer.

-JoeJoe

Posted: Apr 8, 2009 12:48pm
I could also point out that when Gazzo is doing a paid gig, he dresses up - he knows and understands the differences in the venues:

http://www.chefanton.com/scoundrelsstore......azzo.jpg

-JoeJoe
Watch the Pilot Episode of my new TV Show:As Seen on TV: The JoeJoe Magic Show
Learn JoeJoe's secrets at Magic Joint dot com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2009-04-08 12:43, Dynamike wrote:
Wow, Dave, you called that dressing down? I like the colors of your vest.

Hey, at least it's not red. Smile
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Dave, do you have any full photos of how you dress at a pitch?
ray raymond
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of ray raymond
Clothing will not draw a crowd. It may attract attention but does not draw a crowd for you. Kozmo is a good example of this. in his dvd. he is working a festival in a grey seatshirt and shorts. I would bet he will draw a bigger crowd in that out fit than dyna mike would in a flashy suit, but at the end of the day your hat is your only judge.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Of course Kozmo will do better than me in street busking. That man is a professional. He knows all the tricks of the trade. I like his humor a lot too. I am just a newbie compared to him.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Not that it matters, but here's one:
Black jeans and shirt, silver vest, and hat. Cellini pouch and table rig finishes off the ensemble.

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I see what you are wearing different from dressing down. No blue jeans. No leather brown vest. No gym shoes. Your outfit looks professional to me.

I would wear my black suits too. (With a little bling)

Thanks for the pic.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Professional but not gaudy. Although I had all the permits I needed, I didn't want to attract any undue attention, especially since this was a foreign country and I didn't speak the language.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Yea, I was wondering where you were because that red and white street sign looks unordinary.

I can understand if it was a foreign (depending which one) I would not want to attract too much attention.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Yeah, I did stand out a bit less than this guy:

I learned a lot watching other buskers up and down this particular street. One was that they had to "educate" their audience in the act of tipping, and how much. In his case he didn't use a "hat" but rather an open umbrella that he had from earlier in the show.

If you didn't specify an amount, they wouldn't know what to do and you got nothing. They stated their price, and they got it. Other areas might be different, so it's good to study your location before jumping into it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Dressing down (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL