The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Do Most any Nailwriter effect Without a nailwriter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
This type of pad has been done before, and it's a good addition to the mentalist's tool kit.

The statement about making the nail writer obsolete is just a tad hyperbolic, in my opinion. You need a special pad, which must be refilled when it runs out, in order to do the writing with your product.

A nail writer can write on unprepared pads, business cards, beer mats, envelopes and any number of other things, so the claim that with your prepared pad you could do almost any effect that can be done with a nail writer seems untrue.

I think that the nail writer will be around for a while longer.

Good luck with the pads, though. Your products are always well-made.

- entity
Bertrand Thornley
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
278 Posts

Profile of Bertrand Thornley
Quote:
On 2009-04-08 22:24, Joaquin wrote:

The reason they created NW with a pen or sharpie is to make the writting look different than a pencil.

Another point to consider is that some paper if you fold it the crisp leaves a mark, like a shadow, similar to a pencil writting.

I hope your concept solve these issues.

Ask Bob Cassidy his opinion about such worries. They are unnecessary. I say that because he just addressed them in some notes he sent out. Or....control your spectators!
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business." Tom Robbins

Personal Revelation: I'm not a hippopotamus
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2365 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I agree, the nail writer is perfect under the right conditions , and you are not limited to the pad, like using your business cards or borrowing someone bill, etc.
It sound like a nice addition , but will not replace it.
OTTOEMEZZO
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of OTTOEMEZZO
Devin,
One question. Can the spectator keep the piece of paper after the effect or will they be able to figure out how it's done if they do?
-Vlad
"The Swan Song" is my last release to the mentalism community. Only a few copies remain!

"Unholy Grail" is now available! Features Perfected Day for Any Date, Ultimate PK Touches, Triple Drawing Duplication, and The Presence (my ghost effect)! Everything is 100% prop-less!

"Tres" LIMITED EDITION e-Book contains my signature "No Touches" PK Touches! Now SOLD OUT!

"Reverie" is for sale! Features extremely strong, 100% prop-less mentalism effects!

"Secret Files" is NOW AVAILABLE directly through me. Contains the EASIEST DAY FOR ANY DATE version!!!
daghank
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of daghank
Quote:
On 2009-04-09 11:49, OTTOEMEZZO wrote:
Devin,
One question. Can the spectator keep the piece of paper after the effect or will they be able to figure out how it's done if they do?
-Vlad

I think he answered this one in another thread,they can keep it.
Nosretep
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Nosretep
So, have people explored "unleaded" now? I work in a college venue, do mostly mentalism, and do not think this would pass by too easily. I appreciate Devon's um, enthusiasm and effort to advertise the possibilities of unleaded. I also feel he has some fun and useful routine ideas that might fit various performing styles. As regards to the potential for mentalism: I don't think it will replace a nail writer for ease of use and ability to appear as actually written by a pen or pencil. Cutting and shaping your nail can help however in using Unleaded. It doesn't handle (as instructions note) curved numbers or letters well. Close inspection to the average layperson should not be a problem, but would in some college classes where I perform. If you use your nail as a writer, the writing may appear as calligraphy rather than as pen or pencil. I would suggest people look to some treated papers where you can write a message and have it appear seconds or moments AFTER folded or covered. This would be useful in spiritualist effects. Such paper offers possibilities, but is not going to replace the NW for mentalism--you could just use the toothpick in your nailwriter tho and save on lead ;-)
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
The problem I have with most nail writers - and it applies to this effect as well - is that in the real world no one outside of primary school (elementary school) uses a pencil. Once our penmanship is up to scratch we start writing with biros. To me pencil writing screams fake. If you produce a pad which writes biro, then I would be interested.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18479 Posts

Profile of IAIN
That's a bit of a blanket statement surely? each to their own, but I completely disagree...

"pencil writing screams fake"? I've never had a pencil bleed in my pocket, nor run out of lead without me knowing it...

its a shame, you're missing out on a vast range of excellent presentations...
malkav
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of malkav
Quote:
On 2009-04-19 16:30, TonyB2009 wrote:
The problem I have with most nail writers - and it applies to this effect as well - is that in the real world no one outside of primary school (elementary school) uses a pencil. Once our penmanship is up to scratch we start writing with biros. To me pencil writing screams fake. If you produce a pad which writes biro, then I would be interested.

TonyB2009,

I can definitely relate to feeling like this. I think it is very common. Fortunately I have found that, in my experiences, it is not a valid concern. These are my experiences though, perhaps you have others.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
In The Nail Writer Anthology, Mark Salem has very interesting things to say about the "nobody uses a pencil" notion. His point was that it's the information that's being read that counts, not the color or utensil used to write it.

If one person reads what you've pencil-written for the audience, all the audience cares about is the information. They can't tell from the person's voice whether it was written in pencil, pen or magic marker. It's the fact that you got the information correct that people will care about.

In close-up use, I've found the same holds true.

- entity
malkav
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of malkav
Quote:
On 2009-04-19 17:37, entity wrote:

If one person reads what you've pencil-written for the audience, all the audience cares about is the information. They can't tell from the person's voice whether it was written in pencil, pen or magic marker. It's the fact that you got the information correct that people will care about.

In close-up use, I've found the same holds true.

- entity

I never thought of it that way. That is such a great point.
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Impromptu Spirit writing that appears visibly is the best use of our pads in my opinion. That is how I use it the most and it plays very well in the venues I use it in.

Devin

PS: I like the idea of using a toothpick in your nail-writer to save on lead, but the cost of my pads would soon negate any savings that way.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3993 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Quote:

Magician statement Smile
I like this way of thinking, because I can do some miracle with my pencil than magicians can't because it's pencil Smile
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18479 Posts

Profile of IAIN
"i'm sorry, but I simply refuse to write with that...that.....THING!"

"you mean this? a pencil?"

"eurgh! get it out of my sight!"

never had anyone say that to me so far...

"keep yer pencil mate, that's for kids..."
charlesgmorgan
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of charlesgmorgan
Quote:

Well, this statement certainly does not apply in Canada, nor in places in the US I have visited recently. There are no doubt many reasons why pencils continue to be widely used.

One reason is the omnipresence of crossword puzzles and the new sodoku craze. Perhaps the Swiss are more ingenious than the rest of us ... but I sort of doubt it! Everyone I know who does such puzzles uses a pencil ... ink is just too hard to erase.

Perhaps another reason is that click pencils and their leads are available everywhere. Just check out any corner grocery or dollar store. And these pencils do not blob or leak, like biros (ball point pens for those in North America) ... and when your click pencil "runs out", it is easy and cheap to insert another lead.

Yet another reason is the golf craze. I do not play golf myself, but apparently many, many folks do. And apparently, they use pencils to record their score.

Anyway, I have NEVER had anyone question the use of a pencil in a walk around situation.

Cheers ...... Charles
Aaron Little
View Profile
Loyal user
Lexington KY
263 Posts

Profile of Aaron Little
I own a mixed martial arts gym and students use pencils to fill out their workout log in the weight room. None of them would ever question seeing something written in pencil.
kyle_freemason
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of kyle_freemason
If they did question it...time for a smackdown.
MM
Butler # 254
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Do Most any Nailwriter effect Without a nailwriter (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL