The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Floating table, creepy seance music? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
kevin carmean
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of kevin carmean
Thank you so much Princehal. I never heard a recording of Houdini before. This is great!

Kevin
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
I live inside your computer.
1243 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
The Nearer My God to Thee track is truly haunting. I could see that being used in many situations in bizzare magick, not just seances.

Some seem to be focusing on Brown's seance table presentation, but what about Copperfield's version from Unexplained Forces? Much better in my opinion, bigger table, cloth comes off, no contact by DC. Presentations are similar. No one has accused DB of ripping off DC because quite simply, as Brown even states, the floating table has been performed for over a hundred years.
Jeff Travilla - Author of "The Extractor." I work in advertising and marketing now. If you are a professional worker and need marketing help, feel free to contact my company. JCM Media Group.
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2186 Posts

Profile of dmoses
I'm going to suggest another tack altogether.
in the 70's there was a school choir that recorded all these hard rock songs... very creepy.

d
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2186 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Here's a link to a sample of the work I'm talking about
http://technorati.com/videos/youtube.com......lxNy3wdk

but be warned... it's scaaaaaaaary

d
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
DR STEVE HOSKINS
View Profile
Special user
North Wales, UK.
831 Posts

Profile of DR STEVE HOSKINS
Princehal,

Those are fabulous resources, - I shall use "Nearer My God To We", for a
floating table during my Seance.

well done and a big thank you.

Steve
princehal
View Profile
Loyal user
Pennsylvania
214 Posts

Profile of princehal
All,

Glad to finally be able to post something of help to others! In my sound design work for theatre, I have been playing with surround sound to control placement in more than just stereo. I am luckey to have my own little-theatre to work in http://www.littletheater.com. The theatre is actually an old church in front of a cemetery.

The church was built in 1876 -- and part of the reason I began working on mentalism is with the idea to use the space to do a theatre presentation during our winter off season. We only seat 76 people, so it can be intimate and still have all the trappings of a theatre.

I have only been working for a few years on mentalism, and will not do something before I am ready. (I have been performing in front of groups to work on the craft, but if I use our stage for something more formal, I want to have something terrific -- so will take my time)

And as much as I might come off as a sniper sometimes, (Hey I like Randi, sue me) I do want it known that I respect and admire everyone here, their commitment to what they are doing, and their Art. I am always willing to agree to disagree, because what keeps us together is not our philosophy but our art.

dmoses -- that is a haunting version of an old David Bowie tune! I may use that sometime in a dream sequence or something. Thanks!

Steve, I wish I lived in the UK, I would love to see that!

In case anyone does not know, a fantastic free audio program is audacity.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

If you download the lame mp3 encoder you can convert wav files to mp3, and a bunch of other formats.
Blackwood
View Profile
Special user
Mind-Play
528 Posts

Profile of Blackwood
Thank you again princehal, you've opened new possibilities for many of us (I think the smart use of audio can be one of the most compelling aspects of mentalism.)

Think of a soft, tinny rendition of "Nearer My God..." enchoeing in the background as you present White Star.
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
I live inside your computer.
1243 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
Quote:
On 2009-04-12 11:59, Blackwood wrote:
Thank you again princehal, you've opened new possibilities for many of us (I think the smart use of audio can be one of the most compelling aspects of mentalism.)

Think of a soft, tinny rendition of "Nearer My God..." enchoeing in the background as you present White Star.

To get a "tinny" sound just load the mp3 into a simple audio editor and change the EQ. Bring the mids up and the highs and lows down. Play around and it should give you the sound you are looking for.
Jeff Travilla - Author of "The Extractor." I work in advertising and marketing now. If you are a professional worker and need marketing help, feel free to contact my company. JCM Media Group.
Blackwood
View Profile
Special user
Mind-Play
528 Posts

Profile of Blackwood
Thanks pearljamjeff!

And princehal, your taste is excellent. The Marice Marchal Largo that intrigued you surely has mentalism chops – at least for me. It's both charming and rather eerie at the same time.
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1480 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
Great post from princehal, some brilliant tracks there! While I was helping Roth create the latest Outlaw Effects site I was looking for creepy music for the home page. I asked a friend of mine what the creepiest song he could think of was. He came up with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeZULzyVPbc

I really don't see it. Interesting to see what is creepy to some and not to others.

Luke
gh256
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of gh256
I would have to agree with you there Luke, not creepy at all lol
Gary Shelton
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Gary Shelton
This is a GREAT thread I am trying to find a way to use these recordings without owning a floating table lol
lejon
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of lejon
Unfortunately "tubular bells" it far too known otherwise it would be perfect.

does anybody know of thin gs similar style?
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
This might sound silly, but if you're looking for 'creepy' there's no better place to start - in my humble opinion - than horror movies. Lots of great background music spawned from the very epicenter of the macabre.
Best of luck to you!
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Floating table, creepy seance music? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL