The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Beginner Question: Card Routines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

leftysparade
View Profile
New user
Syracuse, NY
1 Post

Profile of leftysparade
Hey everyone. This is my second post here. For those of you who missed my long introduction... I will again point out – nothing I write is ever short. So I apologize for the length in advance. But I do feel that the more details I give when asking a question the easier it will be for people to answer it... and also make it easier for the experienced magician to read something and slap me on the head via text and say “what the hell are you thinking?” in the event that I'm thinking about all the wrong things or am focusing in places I shouldn't. Etc.

Anyway... I'm at the point in my magic where I'm growing slightly more comfortable and confident with my card sleights. Sleight of hand involving anything else – not so much – so I'm kind of focusing on cards for a while. What I'm attempting to do is just get a core of say 4 or 5 card routines I can really master and eventually perform. At this point I've been practicing a lot of moves without context... just the moves... I don't know why – but I failed to learn a single routine. And I really would love to start performing in some casual situations... with friends, at parties, or with family... sort of 'less pressure' situations. Because – if you can't tell – I'm a bit neurotic and horribly self-critical. Hopefully performing a bit will build my confidence. Practicing helps – but it's a bit of a double-edged sword – the more comfortable/familiar I get with a move – the more obvious it seems to me – and I project that into “everyone will know what you're doing.”

But back to my question... lol. I warned you I have a tendency to ramble. I'm looking for a 4 or 5 routines with cards. As far as my style goes – I really don't know – I haven't performed. However – I know I'll be performing in very casual situations and intend on acting pretty much like myself... this may be a mistake – but I'm sure I'll find out. I will say that I like routines with multiple-phases, spectator involvement and a bit of 'play-around' room for me to add thing or change things a little bit. The ten card poker deal, for a example is a routine I love. As far as difficulty – I'm more than willing to put the time in for a routine I really love. And I'm self-critical enough to not perform something I'm not comfortable with.

So if anyone can point me in the right direction for some routines that I can learn and practice and play around with and the perform, it would be great. Of course knowing where to find these routines is helpful too – so if you suggest something – please let me know where to find it – be it book or dvd or what have you. And also – if you think I might be going about this the wrong way – let me know that too. I'm very open to any advice. But I really would like to get 4 or 5 things that I can use and continue to use...

Nothing is out of play here... suggest away... and hopefully I'll actually be able to perform something soon.

Thanks!
(Again sorry about my long-windedness)

--Dan
AlienSpaceBat
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of AlienSpaceBat
A short ACR, not too many phases, end with something like card-to mouth or my favourite braue pop-up. There are loads of DVDs on ambitious card - I haven't looked at it in some time, but I remember Oz Pearlman's Born To Perform was pretty easy to start with.

If you're on a table, and don't mind gaffs, McDonalds Aces or similar is fantastic (L&L worlds greatest magic DVD gives you 6 routines and includes the gaffs). I find this is best as a finishing effect for me though (its so strong, and if you've demonstrated a regular deck for your ACR then rung in the gaffs to the same deck the spectators are 100% BAFFLED).

Some packet tricks play great. I'm doing Royal Scam by John Bannon at the moment, which is a real winner. I love Color Monte and Ultimate 3 Card Monte as well.
wingz
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of wingz
ACR is good since you have tons of ways to perform it. Depends on which sleight you feel more confortable with.

Since you mentioned you practice many sleight of hands. Card College series is a good since it got lot of routines list with the assocication sleight sections. You can choose the slieghts you like most and use the routine there.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
"Out of this Universe" - 'Close Up Card Magic' by Harry Lorayne.
"Homing Card" - 'Stars of Magic' by Francis Carlysle.
"Las Vegas Leaper" by Paul Harris.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I've written over twenty books just for you! The suggestion re: my Out Of This Universe is fine, but get it in LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, Volume 1, because - there are FIVE of my books re-written and updated there. You'll have MUCH to choose from. The book is available directly from me. Good Luck - HARRY L.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Did anyone else see this coming? Smile
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
If you're going to do routines with multiple phases, then you might want to start with a smaller number than 4 or 5. Assuming you put in the time and dedication to make each one as good as possible, you're basically talking about designing and building a professional's set right from the get-go.

That said, there are many ways to build a set, and they're going to depend upon questions that only you can answer.

What does magic mean to you? Who are your favourite magicians? What are your favourite effects to see performed by others? Why are you focusing in on cards? What specifically do you like about the 10 card poker deal? What venue do you think you're going to be performing in most frequently? If you had to describe your "magic power" to your audience, what would it be?

There aren't necessarily any right or wrong answers to any of the above, but knowing this will help people from just suggesting a bunch of random effects. That last question is a bit advanced, but in the long run it's worth considering. It'll keep your chosen effects from feeling like they're randomly-thrown together, and it'll help give an audience an idea of how they're supposed to appreciate what you're doing.

It'll also help to know exactly what your skill-set currently is with cards. Can you list what you're currently capable of doing?
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Beginner Question: Card Routines (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL