We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » New Version of Audience Dismember (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
744 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
The one that Scott and Muriel have doesn't look like Bill Smith's work...
But I'll take your word on it...
Maybe he changed the way he builds them... The top door is very thin sheet metal and looks a lot different that mine...
Thanks...
Taylor

Posted: Dec 21, 2009 7:14pm
-------------------------------
Just like if someone wanted to do the things that I've done with my Audience Dismemberment they would need to contact me.

Taylor
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
Taylor,

Sometimes you have to read between the lines Smile
You are right that The top door is not the one Bill Smith build! (they build a new top door amongst other things.... )
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
744 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
Good point Rafael... A lot of people have thought the same thing about some of the stuff that I've rebuilt...

Thanks..
Taylor
www.taylorreed.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
wizzzzard
View Profile
New user
Poland
71 Posts

Profile of wizzzzard
Did you saw this one which Mr Taylor Reed done ?? !! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj6p5uEE8eg

Outstanding and innovative!!! Great job !! Good and new look on illusion... Smile
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Yes, very interesting how Taylor has modified the illusion .. nice work my friend.

I enjoyed watching you perform a full routine .. I like your style, very polished.

Steve
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
744 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
Thank you for all the kind words. I have been performing this illusion for around 11yrs and it took me a long time to decide how I wanted to perform it.
I like to do thing different than others any time that I get that chance.

I originally wanted to be the only one doing my version or changes to the illusion. I've had such success with this illusion that it has become a staple in my show. The crazy music ideas came from working with my buddy Carrot Top and my best friend Joe Trammel which is also a prop comic.

I was the first person to use the allsaw. My wife said why don't you use the electric saw the way Blackstone use to do it.. I just so happen to have a friend who had one that I think was a Mak magic version with the long blade on the jig saw. We bought it from him and then my wife said that it looked stupid with a jig saw and a 8" blade.. She said jig saws have small blades. She said why don't you go find a saw that uses a long blade.. I went to Home Depot and came home with an Allsaw... I think that's what they call them... I reworked the saw and it's also cordless which is even a better plus... Then I had the drop off----pick up deal built into the prop for a very clean look and workings..One more nice option on this sort of saw that I'll tell you if we do a deal..

A few yrs later I saw Lance doing an Allsaw with a square tube frame that snaps around it... It just goes to show that good minds think alike..
I never was a fan of the chop blade that comes with it..
I still like the way my blade works because it doesn't require a square tube frame..

The thing that magicians like the most about the changes that I've made is the fact that the leg box splits up higher than the orignal... and the see thru table below.. I had to loose my favorite part thought... The little light up sign had to go... You loose some to gain some.. And I also like the way my sign is because the audience sees the sign first and then the illusion next.... seems to flow well...

After many years of doing this effect I have decided that if others would like to do it the way I do. Well now you can.. This is why I've put it on Youtube after all these years. So if any magician has an Audinece Dismemberment from Bill Smith and would like the changes that I've made, then I'll do this for you if you would like... If anyone would like to do this you can PM me and I'll tell you how this would take place.

It took me a lot of R and D to figure out how to make these changes and quite a bit of money in materials and all to change it up.

I'm working on a lot of origianls at this time and look foward to making these avaliable though only the top builders..

We can't forget to give credit where credit is deserved.... Jim Steinmeyer for this wonderful illusion and Bill Smith for the great craftmanship to this great Illusion.. Without these guys I wouldn't have been able to do what I did. These two men are top notch and I'm not trying to take credit for this illusion.
Although I have made changes that many people have noticed and seem to love.

I will only do this for people that have the real deal..If it's not a Bill Smith Illusion, then I'm not interstead in helping.

The turn around time to make the changes would be one month from the time I recieve the illusion..

I've had magicians for years ask me to let them do these changes to there prop and have always said NO.... But now that I've done it for around 10 or so yrs I'm ready to help others with it if they would like..

Thanks again for the kind words on my changes and hope to hear from you soon.

Your Friend In Magic,

Taylor Reed
www.taylorreed.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
HowardT
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of HowardT
Although I can appreciate the esthetic modifications by Topas, Niles, Scott and Muriel. For the life of me I can't understand the changes made by Taylor Reed. If I was being totally honest...you have taken the illusion back in time by eliminating the most masterful and clever convincer that Jim Steinmyer gave this illusion. The sliding sign feature that you removed gave the audience the visual perspective and impression of "seeing through" the space? Now It's like performing a Zig-Zag against a brick wall.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
"Zig-Zag against a brick wall" .. I like that quote, too funny.

Howard of course does have a point. With each modification something else is lost, there is a delicate balance between improvement and destruction. From what I can tell, the sight-lines have been improved but, at what cost. The base is gone too ... I guess it's just a matter of opinion.

I have some simple modifications if and when I ever get my hands on one of these props. Oh yes, it will be mine ...

Steve
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Chezaday, you're right and even Jim Steinmeyer quoted in his book "Device & Illusion" that "somebody shouldn't try to make it perfect. Sometimes you'll end up with a miracle or at least something that's very near.
In the normal case nothing is perfect and magic tricks never....
Because if there's nothing "wrong" in your trick, than you came up with a new physical principle, but not a trick."

Maybe we should find out why Jim Steinmeyer took the decision to keep the big pannel under the table instead of make it a look through table and make the sign with the lights behind the box move.

Oliver.
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
744 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
Let me just tell everyone what I really think..
When I spend close to 10,000 for an Illusions I expect it to rock.
Lets just say that I bought the illusion because it was cute and kinda of a fair ground looking prop or carnival.

I got the prop because it could be used with an audience member. I'm not a big fan of having plants in the audience, so I just go out cold and take risk.
When I performed the illusion the way it comes in it's origianl form I had people during the intermission saying to the audience member that you must work for Mr Reed and the girl said no not at all, I've never met the guy and then they would say stuff like well I know you do because you have another dancer in the table playing the legs.... Well although that would be hard to pull off because you would have to switch some long legs sticking out and all.

My point is this. If your going to use a person in the audience then they should believe that you have never met her..
Now that's the case. Everyday that I perform the illusion they talk to the girl and her family about how could he have done that with your daughter without going thru it before the show... The girl swears that she's never met me and it has really become a reputaion maker for me... Because no audience member has a clue of how it works now..Not even the girl in the box.

They no longer could possible think that someone else is playing the legs..
Because they are not and never have been..

So don't think that I just change this stuff without really thinking things thru..
It's now worth keeping in my show because of these changes.

So to each his own... Some magicians may prefer to have the cute little light up slidding sign... But I prefer to have a see thru table and fool them every time.

SO unitll you've either had one or tested the things that I've tested, then you may be talking without prior knowledge of the illusion and it's workings..

Even Lance has made changes to this and other props... No one gets mad or says anything negative about this sort of thing...

The main reason inventors don't like people like me changing there work is because it kinda makes it a new illusion to a point. And this can mess up copy rights and this sort of thing. I know this for sure because I have talked with them about it in lenght... I'd rather not mention names

For a guy like me that is ethical it's not really a problem. If I were to reinvent an Illusion and then mass produce them in my shop, then that would be way uncool.... That's why I said that if anyone wants to do my version that they must have the Bill Smith prop..

The only beef I have on any of this kind of stuff is once you buy an illusion it's yours. You should be able to do what ever you want to with the prop since you spent the big bucks for it... If magicians don't like it... "Oh Well" they have never paid my bills and never will... It's the lay public that has to be fooled not the magicians getting upset over some cool device that you got rid of to be more deceptive.

The most we can hope for is for the audience to love us and with a little luck maybe a few magicians will get us or GET IT>>>>
Magicians are normally the ones who want the comps tickets and then run you down during your show. They should atleast wait untill they get in the parking lot.

I've seen this happen my entire life with lots of magicians running others down..
Like they could do better.... Normally they couldn't or they would..

Thank you ..

Taylor
www.taylorreed.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
Illusion77
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Illusion77
Hi Taylor,

I think your additions to Audience Dismember are very interesting.

As an owner of the original Bill Smith version, which is an excellent illusion achieved by a very well built piece of equipment, I can see the benefit to your modifications. The thin table definitely adds to the deceptiveness of the illusion and the ability to spin the prop shows that there is nothing hidden behind the sign.

Creative ideas are a lot like comedy - they are very subjective and personal - everything does not please everyone. I think the true test of any idea is the response and feedback it receives from the audience, and it sounds like your audience is very pleased and most certainly entertained.

I think new ideas and new directions always need to be explored. I'm reminded of how Robert Harbin went through several versions before he finalized his Zig Zag. Creative endeavors, coloring outside the lines, is what will keep the art moving forward.

This is just my belief and its ok if not everyone agrees with it. I respect all of your opinions.

Keep up the creative thinking Taylor.
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
744 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
Howard T....
The above post that I did was so maybe you would understand more where this stuff comes from....

I just got five e-mails from over seas in reguards to the Aud Dis illusion...

Here is one.... This is the way that the guy typed...

Hello-Mr. Taylor--- I see your video on YOUTUBE " Great Improvement"
First version have very thick base, so spectators have question? Why ---
maybe lady hide inside base.................................................

Now this is just another example of why the sign slide is worth the loss...
A thin table takes away the wonder of why or what is in that table thing...

You don't have to like my changes, but don't insult my point of view. I think that it's rather rude.

Taylor
www.taylorreed.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1305 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Taylor, I think its brilliant! I have never liked the illusion, it just never looked deceptive to me. But now...WOW. Now I want the prop. Great work!
Sent from my Typewriter
HowardT
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of HowardT
Taylor, I'm sorry you think I'm insulting your point of view I'm just stating the obvious . You don't need to agree with me. It's interesting that shortly after your accolades to the designer and builder you offer your "Fix". You don't see that as being insensitive to those individuals? We should consider being a little more respectful to the very people in the trenches trying to bring us new material.
All I was saying is that the changes Topas and Scott made, kept the integrity of Jim's design intact ,, yours does not. That's pretty easy to understand. I'm not criticizing what you did to yours and I think it looks fine.
I would suggest going the extra mile and keeping the intended feature on the Illusion. Would you remove the slide on a Z-Z and call it an improvement? That may be a bad analogy since I know some people on this forum have actually done that.
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
744 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
We can agree to disagree.. People buy cars every day and make hundreds of changes to the car, but at the end of the day it's still a Chevy or what ever brand it was to start with. Chevy doesn't get mad or care.

If anything these guys would like it if someone wanted to have me redo a prop..
That means that they would get another sale and make more money.

The zig zag against a brick wall deal.... Well you can't do a Zig Zag with an audience member so that's not valid... Even the original Audience Dismemeberment has a wall or a sign in the background or maybe what you would call a moving brick wall. Please understand that I do understand your point.

NOTE: I have even come up with a way to remove the sign once you get started. But why change something and make it more complicated if it's working..

Thanks for you opinion...

we don't have to agree and I'm cool with that..
These guys are not the only people trying to bring new illusions to the fore front. I'm doing that also...

Taylor
www.taylorreed.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Taylor,

I really understand your point. I've once read a magician, can't remember which one, who said that we should first "play" a little bit with the props after a purchase, before reading the instructions in a way to find out what else can be done with the prop, what could be improved without altering the effect.
That's what you've done. Of course it takes a lot of time and money.

When you come up with something new and interesting it's time to decide. In your case, and this is my honest opinion, you've taken the right choice.

I always thought that this illusion is something really entertaining, since so many people relate a magician to the illusion of cutting a lady in half (and pulling a rabbit out of a hat). Using an innocent audience member to present this effect was a breakthrough in illusions (like Walter Blaney's Stepladder Suspension).

I think you've followed all the steps somebody should follow by trying to make look and effect better and more convincing. And you win !

It would really be interesting to find out how Jim Steinmeyer himself went to the creating process of this particular illusion and why he made his choices and didn't went on in the process of creation to find something better as he taught to the readers in his book "Device & Illusion", before releasing it to the world.

Anyway I think I will never really find out, until I buy this illusion. But I think I will have to wait until you, Bill Smith and Lance Burton put all the ideas and improvements together in a whole new Audience Dis-Member Illusion".

Oliver.
James FX
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
178 Posts

Profile of James FX
Taylor's twist is pure INNOVATION. <- New ideas are *welcome* Smile
Falconer
View Profile
Special user
PORTUGAL
576 Posts

Profile of Falconer
Hi all,

especially to Taylor Reed

In fact, the version is much better than the original version. In my honest opinion the improvement was spectacular, the illusion became more deceptive indeed.

I completely agree with him that the creators do not like to modify his original concepts, but it is acceptable that we pay their rights by adding our ideas.

Taylor Redd is a great thinker indeed.

I should be most grateful if you can answer me one question:

I saw the version of Lance Burton, it is possible to add to your version an opening for to exit the arm of the audinece member invited like the version of Lance Burton ?

Please, accept my warmest congratulations for your modifications.

Falconer
FALCONER
IMAGICIANS.DE facebook falcobook
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
744 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
Thanks guys for the nice comments. It's really nice when a magician can see the time and effort that a person puts into something like this..

Oliver was right when he said making a choice to do this sort of thing. Each time I do something like this I know it will never be back to the way that it once was, so this better work or I'll be pretty much doomed with the money that I spent on the prop.. It's kinda of scary at times, but I work well under pressure.

Thank you again for the nice words.
I'm working on a new twist to an old illusion at this time and will share it with everyone when it's done..

Thank you,
Taylor
www.taylorreed.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
John Taylor Magic
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of John Taylor Magic
I think it's good Taylor, well done!
Have you talked to Bill about offering customers your modification as another option and you making a commission? As it's better being done under the one roof.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » New Version of Audience Dismember (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL