The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Eventective Sales Lead (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Anyone heard or used this service.

I have gotten to unsolicited emails saying that I signed up for the lead service.

Did a google search and came up with avoid this as a scam?

Any others have words on this.

The leads came one for my childrens parties and one for comedy work.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I got a few emails from them too, Harris. So you heard it's a scam? Thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Just suspicious at this time....I didn't take the bites.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
I just started getting them too... The company itself has plenty of irate people who thought they would be working for them, but I haven't found any definitive evidence of scam...but all the same... I'm not biting.

I recently was almost scammed by a a guy who 'hired' me by email....after going back and forth a few times. I received a check from the guy, by Express Mail....for an amount $250 greater than my fee. The guy sends me an email that I need to pay for another item for this party. I should deposit the check and send the difference to his 'client.' I was, of course, suspicious...and finally asked the guy to call me. I never heard from him again and destroyed the check, which was a fraud. Beware!!!
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
903 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Looks like Eventective has collected entertainer and party planner info from around the web. Then they charge the vendor (DJ, magician, caterer, etc.) to have a better listing on their service, and to follow up on a lead. You don't get the info on the lead without paying $2.50. And that's just for the opportunity to contact the buyer.

It seems to be started by people who understand how to put together a centralized website for event planners and get it listed in Google.

I think it might work well if you have a location like a hotel or conference center. Then you pay for a better listing, put up your info and more people will find you.

We're getting these emails because I'd guess the company has been around a few years, has got all the banquet facilities and other basic stuff listed, and now they're adding local entertainers to the mix, to expand their business.

For the average person on the Café, I'm not sure this is worth the cost, given the many other ways clients can find you and the cost associated with getting those leads. But if you run a banquet facility, their service may be cheap.
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
903 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
The other thing about this site is that it's very focused on setting people up with the right location first, and then helping them fill up that location with the other stuff (caterer, band, entertainers, etc.) This is the way you usually approach planning a big event.

But the site is FILLED with Google ads that list all kinds of competing services. Lots of distraction for potential clients.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1749 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
I JUST got 3 leads from them in two days and I did not and will not respond to them. I am going to books shows without responding and paying $2.50/lead anyway.
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
dsholes
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of dsholes
Folks:

I work in a marketing capacity at Eventective and would like to respond the concerns you raise. I regret that this forum only recently came to my attention, as some of your posts are already a few weeks old. But I hope the following information is useful:

--Please be advised that Eventective is most definitely *NOT* a scam. We have been in business for 5 years and are dedicated to aggregating content so individuals planning events of all types can find the venues and vendors they need under one "roof" online. We are but one of a number of companies providing this service, but we have more site traffic than our competitors.
--There is no charge to be on our site, unless you choose to upgrade your listing to have more visibility to the 1.2 million people who use our site every month.
--We do charge a nominal fee ($2.50) for leads generated by users of our site. But if you purchase a lead from us that turns out to be invalid, we *AUTOMATICALLY REFUND* the lead fee as a credit that can be used for future lead purchases. Where else do you have an opportunity to pursue new business for as little as $2.50 with no risk?
--There is no charge to you for consumers who come to our site and want to contact you directly, and you can also buy bundles of leads at a discount.

We'd welcome an opportunity to try our service, and would be willing to extend $25 in free lead credit to members of this forum. Please email me directly on dsholes@eventective.com if you are interested.

Thanks for this opportunity to respond
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Sorry, but you make it sound like the $2.50 per lead is no risk. It is. Getting a "credit that can be used for future purchases" is a great way for you to keep the money in your system, but it doesn't come back to me! Don't say it's "no risk," if it really isn't!

When I Google eventective, I have a hard time finding vendors who paid your fee and were satisfied. I did however find lots of forums where people express frustration that they paid the fee and got only an email address and that was the end of it! One forum wondered why you're not rated anywhere or accredited with the BBB.

Sorry, but with such a shortage of positive vendor testimonial, but a slew of frustrated vendor feedback in forums around the web, it's hard to want to invest even $2.50 in this "service."

I have nothing against your company, I've never tried you, but I did get unsolicted emails from Eventective.com trying to get me to buy leads, and that didn't start things on the right foot.

Maybe you can clear up some of these concerns, as well as others that are under a different topic here on the Café. Thanks much!
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I tried one lead a few weeks back. I got a phone number and an email. The proposed client never returned either of my two calls. That was that. I don't have time to chase a $2.50 refund.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
903 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
I've gotten a lot of emails with possible leads from Eventective. The main thing is that not a single one of them says, "We're looking for a magician." Instead, they're from people who are starting to plan a big event, such as a wedding or company party, and they're looking for a location, caterers, flowers, etc. They're just getting started and they don't put much info into the form. They're interested in "entertainers" but that could easily be a band or a DJ. Following up on these vague leads for $2.50 a pop doesn't seem worthwhile.

I'm also registered with some of the other services like this one, and it's very similar there. Magic is somewhat specialized and grouping it in with all the basics of event planning (food, location, etc.) seems to give poor results.
Magicalpro
View Profile
Regular user
Denver, CO
156 Posts

Profile of Magicalpro
I have gotten dozens of them also, but this morning, something occured to me, someone contacted me thru Eventective website, they wanted a magician for a childs birthday party, whether they wanted in particular ME, or just tire kicking, I don't know, but the prospective client provided thier phone number for me to contact them directly. BUT I cannot see thier # unless I spend the $2.50.

So the problem is, the prospective client feels they have reached out to me, to do a show, maybe their child saw me before, and I am what they want. But I am not going to spend the $2.50 to get thier contact info, so I will never call the prospective client back. However the prospective client is unaware that they have reached out to me in this manner, and will be left with the assumption that I am rude, and do not return email inquiries, they are unaware that I had to spend money to get thier message.

Of course if I knew it was not just someone price checking and they were really looking for me, then I would have spent the $2.50, to respond.

But to avoid any other potential customers trying to reach me, I wanted to make sure they did not do it thru Eventective, I had my listing removed from thier website this morning. Hopefully then if someone is looking for me, they will keep looking and find me elsewhere, heck I am listed on every free listing site that I know of, not to mention my own website, so it should not be that hard, just don't want them to think they have reached me, when they respond to Eventective website.
Kurt "Lee Curtis the Magical Wizard" Flickner
Magic Estate Sale
http://www.MagicEstateSale.com
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
My son is a juggler and magician and he works with a company exactly like Eventective. I think it's the same fee and everything. Anyway, he has booked several shows through them. So, you might consider taking the plunge and paying the $2.50.
BScott8870
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
231 Posts

Profile of BScott8870
#1 rule of sales.

The best way to get more business is through word of mouth.

Do a great job and business will follow.

If I was to invest any money in promoting myself I would invest in Google pay per-click adds. They are much more effective.

The time you waste following up on worthless leads is worth a lot more than $2.50!

I would never go to a company like this.
DTyler
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of DTyler
Honestly, Eventective is charging for fake leads.

I found this forum via a Google search after becoming suspicious of some leads I purchased - all of the people I spoke to were potential wedding clients and all were shocked that I had gotten their telephone numbers.

None of them had firm dates picked out or budgets, yet that information was on the lead information.

It seems that Eventective is obtaining these leads from wedding expos through some duplicitous process - probably something like a fake sweepstakes or contest and selling these unsuspecting folks' contact information without their permission or knowledge.

I'm out $25, which isn't the end of the world by any means, but it was a gigantic embarrassment and tarnish on my company's reputation that we ended up cold calling folks and looking like spammers ourselves because of Eventective.

Eventective's email only leads are even more interesting, as they all seem to be free yahoo, hotmail and gmail accounts that *never* respond, or the mail gets returned.

Worse still, when I tried to call Eventective, I only got a lady's voice mail and never got a call back. Companies that never answer their phones are usually scammers.

Thank God for credit chargebacks and BBB complaints - it's not the piddly $25 I'm out, it's the principle of everything.

Dsholes, while it's wonderful that you respond to random message boards, it would be even more wonderful if you instead used the time to answer your business phone.

Quote:
On 2009-05-20 15:21, dsholes wrote:
Folks:

I work in a marketing capacity at Eventective and would like to respond the concerns you raise. I regret that this forum only recently came to my attention, as some of your posts are already a few weeks old. But I hope the following information is useful:

--Please be advised that Eventective is most definitely *NOT* a scam. We have been in business for 5 years and are dedicated to aggregating content so individuals planning events of all types can find the venues and vendors they need under one "roof" online. We are but one of a number of companies providing this service, but we have more site traffic than our competitors.
--There is no charge to be on our site, unless you choose to upgrade your listing to have more visibility to the 1.2 million people who use our site every month.
--We do charge a nominal fee ($2.50) for leads generated by users of our site. But if you purchase a lead from us that turns out to be invalid, we *AUTOMATICALLY REFUND* the lead fee as a credit that can be used for future lead purchases. Where else do you have an opportunity to pursue new business for as little as $2.50 with no risk?
--There is no charge to you for consumers who come to our site and want to contact you directly, and you can also buy bundles of leads at a discount.

We'd welcome an opportunity to try our service, and would be willing to extend $25 in free lead credit to members of this forum. Please email me directly on dsholes@eventective.com if you are interested.

Thanks for this opportunity to respond
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24096 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Today is my first time receiving an email from that scam company. I received about three within an hour. Do not fall for it. All they want is your credit card number.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Simply demand your listing be taken down. It will take a while though. It took over a week for mine.

If you are listed on their website without permission, and you actually got emailed for gigs, you should demand the information from them. The are trying to represent you without permission, and could be damaging your name if you choose not to pay for the lead.
-Matt
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
I got them too, just delete them
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Eventective Sales Lead (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL