The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Mid-Air Card Stab by John Kennedy (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
My definition of dignity in demos is "honest intent". Kennedy's demos show the magic clearly and you know what the effect is.

The magic should sell itself in the demo. I feel tired of watching 45 seconds of jittery "street" filming and faces of people screaming. I don't care about the fake "street" reactions and girls screaming "Oh my god!"
Just demo the trick with good lighting and a steady camera and I'll be able to make an informed decision.

Another reason I am glad he does not do those MTV demos is Mid air card stab can go into my arsenal and other Taiwan magicians will never know about it.
I'll do this on TV in a few months and they will all be bushwacked. All the popular tricks that come out are seen so often I pick material that is hidden in books or very old.

I am at a point where I don't watch other magician's shows for fear of stealing from them without knowing it.

Why do you two care if John makes more money. Worry about if YOU can make more money instead of this false benevolence that plagues the Café.
James

[quote]On 2009-05-18 20:19, johndraws wrote:
[quote]On 2009-05-18 04:50, Xiqual wrote:
We can all be grateful that John has dignity. Do you really think he is in magic for the money? With all the production costs and ripoffs he probably makes $4.00 per trick.
James
ps
I don't speak for John Kennedy, I have never met the man and only PM'ed him to say I like this trick. These posts are just my opinion.
Quote:

No, dignity doesn't stop someone from reaching another generation. What is the point of making something and just giving it away while other people financially benefit from it? Anyone who says they don't want to sell more is either plain lazy or just lying. It has nothing to do with dignity. Self denial perhaps but not dignity. Without intentionally trying to insult anyone let me just say this. For whatever reason John or anyone else got into SELLING magic. To do so strategically, and wise will only bring forth MORE of whatever the fruit was of their labor. Be it money, passing on good will or what have you....it reaches a broader group of people it will benefit....Oh, and the seller benefits financially. Who says they don't want that because they are to dignified?
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
johndraws
View Profile
Loyal user
Danville, Illinois
202 Posts

Profile of johndraws
[quote]On 2009-05-19 19:23, Xiqual wrote:
My definition of dignity in demos is "honest intent". Kennedy's demos show the magic clearly and you know what the effect is.

The magic should sell itself in the demo. I feel tired of watching 45 seconds of jittery "street" filming and faces of people screaming. I don't care about the fake "street" reactions and girls screaming "Oh my god!"
Just demo the trick with good lighting and a steady camera and I'll be able to make an informed decision.

Why do I care if John makes more money? You asked. You posed the question. I gave a reasonable view point that I have.

Another reason I am glad he does not do those MTV demos is Mid air card stab can go into my arsenal and other Taiwan magicians will never know about it.
I'll do this on TV in a few months and they will all be bushwacked. All the popular tricks that come out are seen so often I pick material that is hidden in books or very old.

I am at a point where I don't watch other magician's shows for fear of stealing from them without knowing it.

Why do you two care if John makes more money. Worry about if YOU can make more money instead of this false benevolence that plagues the Café.
James

[quote]On 2009-05-18 20:19, johndraws wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-05-18 04:50, Xiqual wrote:
We can all be grateful that John has dignity. Do you really think he is in magic for the money? With all the production costs and ripoffs he probably makes $4.00 per trick.
James
ps
I don't speak for John Kennedy, I have never met the man and only PM'ed him to say I like this trick. These posts are just my opinion.
Quote:

No, dignity doesn't stop someone from reaching another generation. What is the point of making something and just giving it away while other people financially benefit from it? Anyone who says they don't want to sell more is either plain lazy or just lying. It has nothing to do with dignity. Self denial perhaps but not dignity. Without intentionally trying to insult anyone let me just say this. For whatever reason John or anyone else got into SELLING magic. To do so strategically, and wise will only bring forth MORE of whatever the fruit was of their labor. Be it money, passing on good will or what have you....it reaches a broader group of people it will benefit....Oh, and the seller benefits financially. Who says they don't want that because they are to dignified?

There is a difference in the videos being "updated" and fraudulant. There are MANY MTV style videos that are excellently produced and show a clear and precise presentation of the trick. Yes, there are also bad videos...but I shall not negate an entire style of video production because of a few bad apples. Do you do that with everything else in life? However, I respect the fact that you like John's videos. I have no problem at all with that.
You actually spit a bone out in your confession. You stated that you would rather have the trick be demonstrated in an unpopular media. So you can have it mainly to yourself. As if the trick is more valid simply because it was viewed by less people. Anyone would take great satisfaction in discovering a new gem But that isn't the point of watching other magicians. It isn't to claim their ideas as your own. That would be undignified in itself. The idea is to entertain one another, inspire and propel yourself as well as others to come up with their own ideas.To build upon what already is.

As far as me...I am a paid entertainer. In addition to that I have some projects I would love to see the light of day and yes if that happens I would sell it for a price that would be worth my investment. Money is a tool that I welcome and utilize.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Hi John,
Actually I just like very plain demos with no unwanted crowd reaction shots.
It is a benefit that this type of demo flies under the radar by the unimaginative.

I agree about building on the trick itself and sending it forward, but using people's bits and jokes is tired. Much better to perform it live and build your own bits from crowd response. I'm lucky I have many test arenas where I can "be bad" and get away with it. I would venture to say the audience writes most of my material.
James

Quote:

There is a difference in the videos being "updated" and fraudulant. There are MANY MTV style videos that are excellently produced and show a clear and precise presentation of the trick. Yes, there are also bad videos...but I shall not negate an entire style of video production because of a few bad apples. Do you do that with everything else in life? However, I respect the fact that you like John's videos. I have no problem at all with that.
You actually spit a bone out in your confession. You stated that you would rather have the trick be demonstrated in an unpopular media. So you can have it mainly to yourself. As if the trick is more valid simply because it was viewed by less people. Anyone would take great satisfaction in discovering a new gem But that isn't the point of watching other magicians. It isn't to claim their ideas as your own. That would be undignified in itself. The idea is to entertain one another, inspire and propel yourself as well as others to come up with their own ideas.To build upon what already is.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Can the knife be used to perform prliminary "stabs" such as say the malini card stab- and then the Kennedy Stab as a climax?
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
Probably wouldn't work for the Malini card stab, as the knife is the size of a keychain Swiss Army Knife. I guess you could, but I think a tiny knife like that for the Malini trick would look a little silly.
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Thanks, the demo still looks impressive- although I wish the knife were bigger.
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The knife is a small pocket knife. I have indeed used it very close up for a Malini style table-top card stab then segued into the mid-air stab. The wow factor overrides the smallness of the knife. I would argue that the sequence would appear even more impossible using the small knife.

It is becoming difficult to carry pocket knives any more. They are less accepted as a gentleman’s accessory (my dad 50 years ago always said that a well dressed man carried a pocket handkerchief, cigarette lighter, and a pocket knife. He always did).

Any pocket knife will work for a Malini style card stab. I have used my Mogar color changing knives for years for card stabs.

The size of the knife is not an issue until you get distance from your audience (platform or stage distance for example).

Bottom line on this is does it fit your performing style and persona. If not...do something else.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Quote:
On 2009-05-20 00:14, johndraws wrote:
There are MANY MTV style videos that are excellently produced and show a clear and precise presentation of the trick.

Name three.
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Cine and Harry:

I had another take on this issue:

I have the original Kennedy knife from ~20 yrs ago but it's in a moving box somewhere. What I recall is that the blade is not a locking blade.

If that's true for either the older or current knives (same model still?), then doing a Malini table stab would be potentially dangerous since the blade could collapse against your fingers.

Harry, you could verify for us if the blade locks. If it doesn't, and you've never been injured, does it make sense that it's a potential accident waiting to happen?

And conversely, it shouldn't be a problem during the John Kennedy routine.

Best,

Steve H
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Quote:
On 2009-05-21 22:45, truthteller wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-05-20 00:14, johndraws wrote:
There are MANY MTV style videos that are excellently produced and show a clear and precise presentation of the trick.

Name three.

I'm curious to see examples also, I'm tired of "MTV style" videos that don't really show anything.I understand that these videos are meant to generate interest in a new product,but the lack of the actual effect being clear leads to pages of speculation & arguments about the effect & possible methods.

I understand the reason for trying to make it look cool, but I think the effect should be clear. I understand that these style of videos are meant to get the attention of the younger crowd & peak their curiosity.

May times it is so unclear as to what the effect is, you think your getting a cool new gadget or gaff, but it just may be a different handling of an old effect or some ridiculous method that won't work unless the circumstances are just right.

Sorry for the detour.

Mike
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I've the old version too. The blade doesn't lock. I guess that there is a potential for the blade to close when doing a table top type of card stab. Then that same potential is there for the Mogar knives I use too (and with many other non-locking blade pocket knives).

I have never had a blade close on me. I guess it is in the technique. I do a finger tip stab, opening for the blade away from my fingers. I've never needed or used much force when stabbing a card (why it's a silly little millimeter thick against a cardboard or cork table top?).

Still, for the aggressive, full fist stabbers out there I’d recommend against using any non-locking, folding blade knife.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Thanks Harry- as I should have suspected- if you have an idea in mind there is always a way of doing it- thanks for the reminder...

P.S. also agree about the MTV style editing- I have experience as a video editor- and still as far as magic demos are concerned I would prefer something straight forward that shows the entire effect from start to finish-

Cine

William Butler Yeats
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Well I just ordered this effect today and I will give my honest review when it arrives. I'm looking forward to it a lot.

As far as the videos on effects go. I have to admit I'm not a fan of the videos that make you ask the questions "Why is that person laughing?" and "Why is that person running with his hands over his mouth?" and "Wow is that person drunk?" I'm not looking to be entertained when I watch these videos I'm looking to see if in fact this is an effect that I will be willing to part with my money for. I love Out-law products but I don't understand a lot of their videos. Yet their product is great. Look at The Scorpion video. This is a great product but I would have purchased this 7 months sooner had I seen a quick video showing the effect.

Well that is my view on this and I feel qualified to give it. You see I'm one of those guys that, after letting my beautiful wife Amy know that I just ordered a magic effect, actually gets the "Honey another one?" response. But that my dear friends is a whole other story!

Good magic to all,

Eric
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Got it today. I'm pretty impressed with it. I will use it. However I will use my own method of introducing the pocket knife. In the video the part at the beginning seemed a little odd to me. So now that I know what is needed I will adjust my opening slightly. Overall I think this will be fun to use and I look forward to it. BTW the blade on this does not lock however it is firmly in place when opened.

Good magic to all,

Eric
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Although the knife is not gimmicked it has to LOOK a certain way. This knife certainly works great. I have a cleaner ending too if owners are interested PM me.

Good magic to all,

Eric
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Just chiming in to say that Kennedy's Mid-Air Card Stab is a lovely close-up version of the plot. It is visually perfect and will fool ANYONE. Like many methods, the miracle one sees when the trick is performed is produced by a method - not a miracle! I'm not John's buddy or anything like that - I just feel compelled to speak. I remember when he came up with this - he'd perform it over and over (different cards every time) and magicians' jaws would drop. I bought one. Kennedy is a great thinker.
echico
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of echico
Quote:
On 2009-05-18 03:07, johndraws wrote:
So the version Reza uses can be purchased where?

Did this question get answered??
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Nicely put David.

Good magic to all,

Eric
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
After watching the demo- I was wandering does this effect has to be done where there is a surface to place the cut packet of cards on temporarily- is this correct?

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
immr1drfl
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of immr1drfl
RNK Yes
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Mid-Air Card Stab by John Kennedy (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL