The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Do you smoke? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I started smoking at age 12 and am 57 now.

Two weeks ago I went cold turkey and had some very strong withdrawels.
Like the idiot I am, I lit up on day five, bought a pack on day 7 and .....
Anyway. Big mistake.
No more buying. I still enjoy an occasional smoke and am quitting not so much for health reasons as for money reasons.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I quit a two pack a day habit 12 years ago next month (hang in there quiters). I was in the bay area (San Francisco) and smokers are rare. I can only think of one smoker that I know to be honest with you, wait, two if you include my brother in Iowa. In Nevada where I live now there are far too many smokers. Until last year in restaurants if they had a 'non smoking' table it literally meant there was no ashtray, all the tables around could smoke just you couldn't at that table. They made the restaurants non smoking and now they are changing the law because it is to strict. Heck, in California I'm not sure where it is legal to smoke anymore.

(side note: my old HR person was so anti smoking she wrote me up twice for smoking in the building. Unfortunately for her once she pushed it to the big managers I informed her I had not smoked for years and the smoker was actually her pal)
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Here in Eugene you can't smoke in any public place, even in a bar or a nightclub. The Bars were given the option of building an outside room in which patrons can smoke in. Also you can not smoke within 500 feet of a public building. A pack of cigarettes are about $7.00 a pack and there's a good chance that a new tax will be put on the soon to raise them even higher. sure glad I don't smoke.
Bob.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Never smoked as a child (that's how they get you for LIFE), so when I actually started smoking in college (health somehow isn't as big a concern as being able to stay awake till 4 in the morning on a regular basis with coffee and cigarettes) I found it pretty easy to quit.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Actually, I fooled around with cigarettes when I was 10 or so, but I never liked it and when we moved to California in '65? '66? I was in a position where I couldn't get them myself and wasn't the sort of person who would have friends who COULD get them so I just never formed the habit.

(Which is surprising, because I believe I have a very addictive personality... which is why I don't drink or gamble!)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I quit several years ago. Lost a big chunk of my magic act because of that, had to reinvent myself in that regard, but gained so much more in health. Now I'm older and fatter and climbing the 35 steps to my front door still sucks.

I am sadly amused by smokers who tell me that one day they will quit. I just say, "Yup." I watched my father-in-law quit in the very room I'm sitting in right now. He died here, but lo and behold, he did quit smoking.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I never started. I had a praying grandma who loved me very much, and all I can say, if you have one of them praying grandmas,You might as well give up, you don't stand a chance. Anyway, she had all us kids promise we would never smoke, and I did, and I have HONORED that promise for all these years.

Plus, when I was real small, my dad made me take a puff on one, and I gagged and choked...you know. About killed me. So between my dad and his mom, smoking was never my fate.

And I have never been sorry I didn't start. Zero regrets.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Cory Chapin
View Profile
Loyal user
Of God!
270 Posts

Profile of Cory Chapin
I quit two years ago (with the Lord's help)
Followers can be leaders if they just turn around.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-04-11 23:16, daffydoug wrote:
I never started. I had a praying grandma who loved me very much, and all I can say, if you have one of them praying grandmas,You might as well give up, you don't stand a chance. Anyway, she had all us kids promise we would never smoke, and I did, and I have HONORED that promise for all these years.

Plus, when I was real small, my dad made me take a puff on one, and I gagged and choked...you know. About killed me. So between my dad and his mom, smoking was never my fate.

... and there are fools out there who doubt the power of prayer! HA!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Well, all I can say is that them little gray haired old women seem to have a hot-line to heaven...
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2009-04-11 23:16, daffydoug wrote:

I can't imagine anyone on their deathbed thinking; "Gee, I regret never having started smoking."

Quote:
On 2009-04-11 23:44, Cory Chapin wrote:
I quit two years ago (with the Lord's help)

And I'm glad Cory because it looks like it did something to your eye! Smile
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
BudTCB
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of BudTCB
I have never even tried a cigarette.. everyone in my family smokes but me. I Hate it so much. Smile
asithlord
View Profile
New user
johnathan townsends daily hobbie is
98 Posts

Profile of asithlord
Smoke around 7-8 pd,
cant see what all the fuss is about
ok it stinks, its disgusting, unhealthy and antisocial
ill just nip down the pub, grab several calorific beers,
spill most of it down my shirt, fall about the street, spewing up my kebab,
pish in the doorway and shout slurred abuse at passers by while I fall into a taxi.
hmmm antisocial I hear,
I smoke at home not around others or in doorways.
and I am sure there are many like me who like a quiet smoke in peace,
without any trouble from the "lets-kill-all-the-filthy-smoker-scum-brigade"
not a personal attack on any in here just get fed up of all the do-gooders.
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
In another year or two I will be smoke free for 1 full year!
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Another year or two for 1 year?
-Matt
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Lol I meant in a another weeks or two I'll be free for 1 year.

lol
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
Eric Woods
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
115 Posts

Profile of Eric Woods
Non-smoker for the third and final time. Anyone see that doctor Phil episode? I hope not.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Acapnotic.
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
Cancer cures smoking.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
...and it's a heck of a diet aide, but I don't recommend it!

To those of you who have quit and continue to be smoke-free, my hat's off to you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Do you smoke? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL