The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » I phone (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Well, since the thing plays video, the old revelation of a forced card (say Paul Harris' version) by having it appear in the show being watched...
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
I want an iPhone. :-(

Holding out for next years release. There had better be one, I tell you that!
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
Stratford, CT should have more than
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
Quote:
If you want to be really clever you would work it so when the restored iPhone was returned you would have the spectator find that it had been modified in some way -- the Magician's phone number added to the address book, or the Magician's headshot added to the photos. Similar to setting the time on the watch.

Thanks...

That modifying idea might actually work... I mean taking a photo is only a few clicks away. Misdirection is beautiful eh?

I bet some iphone gaff shells could be made to emulate a broken iphone. They could be attached under a napkin and then later secretly detached. As for the smashing well... any other bright ideas are welcome.
"There's something that gets in your soul when you study magic,it's in your heart, and when you perform it comes across the footlights and into everybody else's heart..."
-Denny Haney
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
The old camera breaking gag would work fine. Find some electronic bits and pieces, wire them in a juxtaposed mess and palm them under the phone.
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
For those that work with an assistant, the real iPhone could secretly go offstage early in the routine while "smashing the fake one" bit was going on. Offstage the photo could be applied, then it would be brought back on somehow for the reveal. I've seen a few watch smashing routines that I am pretty sure the watch was offstage for awhile.

For a less elaborate setup, I'd switch out a fake while putting it in a bag. Smash it in the bag (by accident?), pull out a few pieces (junk electronics parts), hand them back to the audience member for laughs, etc. Then switch back to the real iPhone -- maybe dump the parts into a change bag or some other device that could be loaded on the fly for the switch. Not sure how you could load a photo w/out getting the phone offstage.
Carl Andrews
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
749 Posts

Profile of Carl Andrews
IPhone Magic News!

Amazing Magic iPhone/iPod Touch Apps and more

Check out the website for more info:
http://www.mojosoftwareonline.com
John Tudor
View Profile
Loyal user
Columbia, SC
209 Posts

Profile of John Tudor
I've been working quite a lot with new apps to be debuted shortly - and have found that it seems to help to suggest that it's more of a "new tech toy" than something magical in itself. This puts the expectation in a better context.
Then when you show them something really skillful/magical in connection with it - it sets you apart from the device as being the point of fascination.
"Ars longa, vita brevis." (Life is short, the art so long to learn) -Hippocrates
Carl Andrews
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
749 Posts

Profile of Carl Andrews
I have been killing people with iPhone magic. Even though it is a computer, when it looks like you do nothing, they are left amazed! See http://www.mojosoftwareonline.com for videos of my apps. All the best to you John, I look forward to seeing your apps. iSensor is another really great iPhone magic app. On my website "Any Card Magic" and "Sixth Cents" are my personal favorites.
sdmagic
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of sdmagic
These New Iphone-based Playing Cards might prove interesting:

http://gizmodo.com/5335088/iphone-playin......e-you-25

sdmagic
weapon
View Profile
Inner circle
I am Emran. I have,
1328 Posts

Profile of weapon
Here is something I did with the iphone, I hope you enjoy ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nPuj7cwAzQ
Eternity by Emran Riaz (Gimmicks + Download) An IMPOSSIBLE prediction of ANY number, ANY word, literally ENGRAVED in a medallion they've been holding THE ENTIRE TIME.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/12181
Carl Andrews
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
749 Posts

Profile of Carl Andrews
New iPhone App just released this week:
http://www.mojosoftwareonline.com/sixthcents.htm
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
If I get it right, the effects are so far basically of three kinds:

1) Something coming on the screen (which could somehow be programmed) matches a reality that cannot be controlled.

2) Something happens with objects over which there is control which no programming could have envisioned (borrowed phone, too complex to program...)

3) ... and more rare but ideal both sides are seemingly out of any possible control.

Could it be that the impact of such effects over the spectators increases with the order in which they were listed?
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
We went through already three types of props

Cards (predictions, coming out of the phone, synchronicity)
Coins (prediction of the money in the pocket, coin materializing from the phone)
Photos (photo on a borrowed phone which breaks and vanishes)
The phone itself (broken and restored -can be combined with some of the effects above)
Mentalism (prediction of many kinds)

Can we imagine other effects with these props and can we already imagine effects with other props?

What about rubber bands? paper clips? keys? matches? cigarettes? sponge balls (there is already one)? business cards? lighters or penknives? mini dvds? ...

How could we use it as credible magic wand? radiographic representation of an invisible movement or transfer?

I disagree, for once, with my friend David Pepka: it seems to me that there is a similar room for Iphone apps as there initially was for self working card tricks (and I consider Out Of This World as basically a self working card trick). No one ever imagined, grounding their judgment on the existing MUTUS NOMEN DEDIT COCIS, that self working card tricks had any noble aspect in them, but history demonstrated otherwise: they are pretty clever these god *** young magicians...
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Does anyone know if the all the apps will work on an ITouch?
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
John Tudor
View Profile
Loyal user
Columbia, SC
209 Posts

Profile of John Tudor
Slyhand,
They should all work on an iPod Touch, unless someone who knows more about it can say...?
"Ars longa, vita brevis." (Life is short, the art so long to learn) -Hippocrates
Alan M
View Profile
Elite user
California
433 Posts

Profile of Alan M
Can anyone offer justification for using a cellphone for any of these effects? Why would you use a computer, which everyone suspects as a method, instead of the myriad of other ways? Just because we can use an iPhone doesn't mean we should. It seems highly illogical to me in the framework of a magical performance. But I am totally open to the idea that I may be missing something, and I welcome discussion as I always welcome the opportunity to broaden my perspective.

Respect,
Alan
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Just because I can pay my bills, find a map, make dinning reservations, and do so many other things on my phone doesn't mean I "should". It would be a greater world with more personal interaction. That simply isn't reality today.

The phone is a common device. Most things which people ask me about can be answered with or through the technology on my iPhone. To smart phone users this is an everyday object.

The real trick is to still be engaging while using them. THAT is a blend of intelligent programing, and intelligent routining.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
The reality that some call for isn't as "real" as what makes the everyday life of others. Over the centuries, the word materiality has been chiseled for people who do not understand the "reality" of certain non material things.

A credit card is a virtual representation of money. Yet we can pay with it. Actually a currency note is not a reality either (in this sense) since it was created to represent the right to an certain amount in gold (and later silver). Yet we can pay with it.

Thus reality cannot be separated from its perception. We as magicians know better than any other person (even politicans) how fragile the perception is for we spend a lot of time to twist it.

Thus allow me to say that "pay my bills, find a map, make dinning reservations, and do so many other things on my phone" makes my phone very real.

Sorry if I upset materialists, I'm just an intellectual (which by the way is the trademark of progress an civilisation as opposed to primitivism)
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I was just thinking that these computers that we use are like people in a way and was wondering if any one has cut one two, like cutting a lady in half. Or cut a phone in two perhaps.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Alex Palombo
View Profile
Regular user
Abington, Pennislyvania
105 Posts

Profile of Alex Palombo
Just got the iphone how do I get those trick
Philadelphia SYM Assembly 96 Member
Magicians' Alliance of Eastern States Member
Smile MAGICIAN DIRECTORY member
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » I phone (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL