The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Infinity Mirror (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magictvlv1
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of magictvlv1
Has anyone else used an infinity mirror set up in a deceptive base?
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
I've seen it done years ago, but because it is so well known by the general public I don't see it being very deceptive. Also, even though it is an interesting optical illusion, the viewer is still quite aware that he isn't seeing through anything, so ultimately he realizes his view is being blocked. Consequently it is easy for the viewer to understand that there is something behind the infinity mirror that the magician doesn't want him to see.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
What is an Infinity Mirror?
-Matt
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
You've seen them many times I'm sure. They're sold to the general public as novelties. It's a mirror (often with lights around the edges) that appears to keep going into infinity. See here for some examples:

http://www.lightenergystudio.com/infinitymain.html

I agree that people generally know this is an optical illusion that's only a few inches thick and that would tip that there was something behind it.

Just brainstorming here... probably not possible, but perhaps it could be modified so that, instead of going on to infinity, it looked like it was a few feet deep and then you could seemingly see what was behind the base?
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2009-04-11 20:16, magicbob116 wrote:
[...]

Just brainstorming here... probably not possible, but perhaps it could be modified so that, instead of going on to infinity, it looked like it was a few feet deep and then you could seemingly see what was behind the base?

The "depth" you are looking at after the first row of lights is a reflection of the backside of the glass cover sheet. Anything on that backside would show up just past the first row of lights, and that would end the "infinity" illusion.

Even though you know this on an intellectual level, the infinity mirror illusion is SO compelling that your gut tells you there ought to be someway to accomplish what you're suggesting. There isn't.

TW
(Actually, there MAY be a way to do it... kind of, but it's so complicated and expensive to produce that it fails the practicality test - plus, a major part of that solution is patented by Jim Steinmeyer.)
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Thanks for sharing. I had never seen one of those (but they don't let me out very often...) It's a great effect!

Seriously, just because some folks might have seen one of those in their local Bed, Bath, and Beyond, do you think that the principle is off-limits to illusionists? I mean, do they really understand (or care) HOW it works to the point where it wouldn't be useable?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Wouldn't one of these create TOO much depth?
-Matt
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
There is at least one illusion in the market using a version of infinity mirror (sort of), with the exception that one mirror is angled on 45 degrees making a very effectice unit.
Sent from my Typewriter
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
It is cool to have as conversation piece.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Infinity Mirror (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL