The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Best Childrens levitation in the living room parties? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1853 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2009-04-29 13:31, Potty the Pirate wrote:
Of course, there is the fancy version where both chairs can be removed, but I'm not aware of such a version that could be performed surrounded. One such version allows the floatee to float all the way around the performer, a full 360 degrees. I wonder if it would be possible to routine that version, so that you could be surrounded? I'm thinking a prop/accessory of some kind to cover the workings initially, and then ones own costume to take over the "cover up". Any thoughts?
Potty

This post starting to get some good ideas Potty!!!

Which one are you talking about in the above quote?

Quote:
On 2009-04-29 16:09, todd75 wrote:
Brian: thanks!

As far as changing the gimmick, I guess I should have said "making it to break down!"

I took the gimmick to a machine shop and had them make me an all new gimmick which is 3 times as strong as the original one that came with the illusion. The while thing can be put together in literally seconds with no bolts to screw into place, etc. It simply snaps together!

I have plans to start having these made from scratch with much better materials than what is currently being offered by magic dealers. Currently you can get a MAK magic one for about $399.00 or so and the Daytona magic one goes for around $599.00 or so I think.

The materials are not expensive at all. The time it takes to machine it is not all that labor intensive either. I am hoping to be able to sell these complete with my routine, performance rights and music for around $450.00 or so!

Interesting.. Let us know... hey team up with Wolf Magic and come up with an insane look to it!
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
I'll post some pictures of the newest flying carpet that I just got finished making. It's a thing of beauty!
bhappie
View Profile
Regular user
B. Happie Entertainment, LLC
124 Posts

Profile of bhappie
For the life of me I can not remember who gave me this idea, but a NJ magician uses the flying carpet and they have a tux jacket sitting on the table and the kid puts it on as they sit on the table. This makes a nice picture. The tails are sewn around the gimmick and hang down so the screen can be completely removed. Makes a great pic and looks very cool. You can not spin it if you do this though.
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
My version kills.....very funny and even a tear kerking moment for some.

I am in the planning stages of having some flying carpets made which will break down and fit into a suitcase on wheels. Will come complete with my audience tested routine and music.

PM if you are interested. I've got a waiting list going!
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1853 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2009-04-29 22:23, bhappie wrote:
For the life of me I can not remember who gave me this idea, but a NJ magician uses the flying carpet and they have a tux jacket sitting on the table and the kid puts it on as they sit on the table. This makes a nice picture. The tails are sewn around the gimmick and hang down so the screen can be completely removed. Makes a great pic and looks very cool. You can not spin it if you do this though.

I like the idea of getting rid of the screen.. Nice way to make it seem logical to do that!
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4619 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
You can also use a backdrop to hide the gimmick, again removing the need for the screen. I simply remove the screen a few minutes BEFORE the illusion is presented, and remove my puppet from the screen. To the audience, the screen is the "box" that my puppet lives in, and they don't associate the screen with the table illusion.
I can't remember where I saw the Chair Suspension where both chairs are removed, but I think it was sold by Douglas Tilford, who has recently retired, so this particular model may no longer be available. However, it's evidently a modified version of the flying carpet - the gimmick is much larger and a different shape, but essentially the same.
If I can find a link to this version, I'll put it up on this thread.
Potty Smile
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
I orginially tried to make the appearance that the screen was removed all the way by adding another 6 inches to the back of the gimmick. This created a huge "sag" when a child sit on it.

Again, the flying carpet has the possibilities to be a huge deal in any show IF it is performed correctly and has a STRONG presentation to it. I've seen many performers do the trick with very little or no reaction at all from the audience. There are MANY things wrong with the flying carpet if you get one "as is" and stick it in your show.

I am trying to address all of these issues and come up with a great look. Combined with a killer presentation that is both funny and moving at the same time, I think I've got a real winner. The music that I use in my show also makes it go over great. This is a solid 5-6 minutes in my show and gets a awesome review everytime I do it.....even for older kids.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1853 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2009-04-30 15:14, todd75 wrote:
I orginially tried to make the appearance that the screen was removed all the way by adding another 6 inches to the back of the gimmick. This created a huge "sag" when a child sit on it.

Again, the flying carpet has the possibilities to be a huge deal in any show IF it is performed correctly and has a STRONG presentation to it. I've seen many performers do the trick with very little or no reaction at all from the audience. There are MANY things wrong with the flying carpet if you get one "as is" and stick it in your show.

I am trying to address all of these issues and come up with a great look. Combined with a killer presentation that is both funny and moving at the same time, I think I've got a real winner. The music that I use in my show also makes it go over great. This is a solid 5-6 minutes in my show and gets a awesome review everytime I do it.....even for older kids.

any pictures?
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
I am working on getting some pictures in the next day or so.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1853 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2009-04-30 15:12, Potty the Pirate wrote:
saw the Chair Suspension where both chairs are removed, but I think it was sold by Douglas Tilford, who has recently retired, so this particular model may no longer be available. However, it's evidently a modified version of the flying carpet - the gimmick is much larger and a different shape, but essentially the same.
If I can find a link to this version, I'll put it up on this thread.
Potty Smile

Would love to see this! Would take away where kids say take the other chair away too!
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Here is a link to Nicholas Einhorn's In Flight, which beats the hell out of the chair suspension and the flying carpet in my opinion. http://www.einhorn.co.uk/?q=node/32
The first time I saw it I was stunned. Paul Daniels uses this, as does top children's entertainer Dave Allen.
I don't have it myself. I use the chair suspension.
shpf100
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of shpf100
I do not use In Flight but have seen a demo video and it looks nice, but I think the chair suspension and flying carpet beat it for children's shows for a couple reasons-photo op and the audience participation. How cool is it to be able to say I can cause your child to float at their b-day party-that also makes them great up-sells
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1853 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2009-04-30 17:28, TonyB2009 wrote:
Here is a link to Nicholas Einhorn's In Flight, which beats the hell out of the chair suspension and the flying carpet in my opinion. http://www.einhorn.co.uk/?q=node/32
The first time I saw it I was stunned. Paul Daniels uses this, as does top children's entertainer Dave Allen.
I don't have it myself. I use the chair suspension.

I have not heard good reviews on this one...

Would love to see the chair suspension with both chairs being moved..
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
The problem I see with IN FLIGHT is that it is a self-levitation....not a child / audience member levitation.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1853 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
This is a GREAT link full of FREE information on the chair suspension WOW check it out!!

http://magicmystery.co.uk/Scripts/Chair.......deas.pdf

This one looks liek the best one on the market!

http://illusionartistry.com/chair.html
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
I've seen this vidoe many times before and Al did it as a joke! You have to know his personality.....he is super funny!

I have nothing against other levitations like Jolly Roger's COI, In Flight, etc. I just like being able to include a child in my presentation...that's all.

The Chair Suspension is used by 100's maybe even 1000's of magicians worldwide. Very few people use a flying carpet which means your chances of hearing someone say, "I've seen this one before" are pretty limited. I've never had anyone say that to me. I did however have several people tell me they knew what was going to happen with the chair suspension. And then there is the "remove the other chair" saying that seems to becoming pretty popular.

I had a discussion today with a dear friend of mine who has been in magic for longer than I've been alive. He told me that he could never understand why anyone would take the chance of performing a chair suspension. He was always afraid that a child will fall and he would be sued. I explained that I performed a c.s. many times and always wondered "what if"
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Hi all,

Great discussion here and I thank everyone for their thoughts. there is great information and thought being shared and that is what makes the Café a great place indeed.

Todd is right in that we must all remember that one over the other is simply a matter of personal preference. One is not always better then the other. It simply is more of which illusion works better for you, the way you work and the venues you perform in.

Each illusion has its strengths and weaknesses and you must decide from these which will work for the show you perform and designed. However there are a few items I want to mention just for people to be clear about and to think about as we go on with this discussion.

- Please keep in mind that the flying carpet is more thought of as a levitation. That being nothing supporting someone in thin air. The Chair Suspension is not a levitation but a suspension. Both are vastly different concepts and should be remebered as so. One is a levitation and the other a suspension.

- Either illusion you must consider safety at all times. You can not just assume that if you are doing the flying carpet that you can forget safety issues. Safety must be thought of at all times ANY TIME you are using a child on any prop or illusion. That is just a given.

- Any child at any time can get scared. A child getting scared can happen on the Flying carpet just as easily as on the chairs or any illusion you may do with a child. The key is to learn to see the warning signs of a child. if you take either illusion slowly and build trust in the child and yourself, you can usually see and feel how a child will react long before you place them. If at any time you feel or sense a child may not work, DO NOT MOVE FORWARD. You thank the child for being brave and helping you and you get another older child to help you. You can then use the child who was afraid and empower them by having them become the magician that makes the other child float or suspend.

- If you do the Chair suspension and routine it correctly you should never have a child shouting out "remove the other chair." in over hundreds and hundreds of performances of the illusion I have mnever had even one child say that. This is simply due to both how I perform it and my routining of it. Just something to keep in mind.

Just some things to think about. in all, both are great illusions. Both can and will serve you very well and both need YOU to study them and do your homework before venturing out performing them. The choice of which to get is up to you the performer.

Hope this helps.

kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
Right on Kyle!

Each are great effects....it just depends upon what the performer is comfortable with. I've tried both and the flying carpet is what works for me. As you mentioned, no-one will ever ask any questions or make comments IF YOU PERFORM IT THE RIGHT WAY.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Thanks Todd. =) Exacttly correct. Both illusions are wonderful and if you do them the right way, and you work with them, either can be a wonderful addition to your show. =)

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
feivel
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of feivel
Quote:
On 2009-04-11 19:19, Matthew W wrote:
The Chair Suspension made by Jim Sommers is going to be brought up a lot here, I think.

It is well made and can be done surrounded. Can't beat that.

I am the proud new owner of a Sommers chair set. What a great effect! I've read the instructions and watched numerous videos online, but I can't figure out what holds the dummy board (the wooden board that you remove) up. As soon as I remove the chair, the board falls out from beneath the cloth. Is there some place to attach it, or some groove to catch, so it stays up until you pull on it?

Please help!
Thanks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Best Childrens levitation in the living room parties? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL