We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Looking for Review on Mind, Myth, and Magick » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1280 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
I am thinking about buying this book, what do people think about it?
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
This book has been reviewed before on The Café--you might check the archives.

In short, it is a HUGE, awesome compilation chock full of powerful material, and IMO is worth many times the price.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2969 Posts

Profile of niva
What types of effects are in the book? Bizarre? Off the Wall?

Ivan
Yours,

Ivan
mindgames
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of mindgames
if 13 steps of mentalism is the bible of mentalist, then this book is the quran (muslims bible)
its *** good! Smile
I READ MINDS.... YOURS TOO.
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1280 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Thanks Scott, I'll search around! But from the little you and mindgames have said it sounds like something I might like.

Thanks
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
MisterE21
View Profile
Elite user
Salt Lake City, UT
426 Posts

Profile of MisterE21
There is so much information in this book...I've read through it 4 times now, each time marking effects I want to learn with those little colored post-it place-marking thingies...(lol..that was clear...lol). Anyway, at this point, I'd say EASILY 1/2 of the book is marked. I just learn more and more and pick up on more and more everytime I read through it...

E
Your EFFECT is only as good as its AFFECT.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6275 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
This is one of the books that I reread every year and still get something new ouf of it. You'll find just about everything in it and many things that will spark new ideas. If you are into mentalism then it's a must have.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Dr. K
View Profile
New user
Honolulu, Hawaii
66 Posts

Profile of Dr. K
Hey, MisterE21! Sounds like we have done the same thing! I have little post-it notes stuck throughout the book after having gone through it from cover to cover! It would be fun to know if we marked the same stuff! I'll take a look, but as you said, when you have marked like HALF of the book, it would be hard to make a list!

The opening mental routine I use comes right from the beginning of the book, and involves a spectator choosing one of ten different "amulets" from a box. Do you know the effect? I made it myself, and it is a stunner every time!

This is a fabulous book: tricks, routines, history, philosophy. It is massive, so reading it from cover to cover as a few of us apparently have done is a staggering undertaking and probably beyond what many people will ever want to do. It is like an encyclopedia in its completeness, and will serve as a wonderful reference.
Dr. K
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
It's brilliant,but you've probably found out for yourself by now.
Andre
ajcombri@telkomsa.net
martin56
View Profile
New user
Italy
20 Posts

Profile of martin56
Buy it! The best book of mentalism, but not for beginners!
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2003-12-20 12:43, martin56 wrote:
Buy it! The best book of mentalism, but not for beginners!

Don't mean to quibble, but I don't think it can rightly be considered the "best book of mentalism." I'd characterize it as one of the best books for a thinking performer, though. Virtually no presentations, but more raw matter from which one hundred lifetimes of mentalism performances may be crafted.

I'd go further to say this is definitely a book to own and refer to often. As in many really good books on magic, something always comes to the fore that didn't before. And sometimes what we need are germs of ideas, not full-blown performance pieces.

John LeBlanc
Houston, TX
Escamoteurettes, my blog.

"One thought fills immensity." -- William Blake
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1903 Posts

Profile of chmara
Big - not easily digestable - brainy - and not for the timid or uneducated who will not rehearse and tweek.

GC Smile
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Looking for Review on Mind, Myth, and Magick » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL