The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Best Mentalism Tricks with Tamariz Deck (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Yes, I agree. Very well said all of it!
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
991 Posts

Profile of helder
I love this routine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocxXHmp2Zzk&feature=related I'm already studying it. What's the best resource for the classic force in a fan?
My version of Eddie fetcher "Be Honest What's it?" it's available at Penguin Magic
Email: heldermagico@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/heldermagico
David Rhodes
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of David Rhodes
As far as mentalism using a stacked deck goes I cannot think of many tricks that are stack dependant. I am meaning pure mentalism rather than mental magic.

A few things I have played with and like a lot are;
Simple divination type effects
Diapola by paul vigil (I know his effect is impromptu but it is even better when mixed with a stacked deck.)
Memory Jumble
Total memory (the 31 card version in mnemonica.)
David Rhodes
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of David Rhodes
As far as mentalism using a stacked deck goes I cannot think of many tricks that are stack dependant. I am meaning pure mentalism rather than mental magic.

A few things I have played with and like a lot are;
Simple divination type effects
Diapola by paul vigil (I know his effect is impromptu but it is even better when mixed with a stacked deck.)
Memory Jumble
Total memory (the 31 card version in mnemonica.)
magician102
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of magician102
I must concur with the advice previously given that the revelation of any one card.

But from a mentalism perspective - the Aaronson "invisible deck" routine that can be done with Tamariz's stack is also phenomenal.

-Raahul
teetacat
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of teetacat
On the bottom of page 82 of Mnemonica for the classic acaan, it says to subtract 8 from 53. Shouldn't it be 8 from 52? When I subtract from 53, I'm always 1 card off.

Take care,

William Bragg
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1091 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2016, teetacat wrote:
On the bottom of page 82 of Mnemonica for the classic acaan, it says to subtract 8 from 53. Shouldn't it be 8 from 52? When I subtract from 53, I'm always 1 card off.

Take care,

William Bragg

I think you are correct, as I've wondered that myself.

In Asi Wind's AACAAN (highly recommended), he teaches to subtract from 52. Must be a misprint.
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
H2Odesign
View Profile
Regular user
the Armpit of the Panhandle
191 Posts

Profile of H2Odesign
Quote:
On Nov 14, 2016, Tim Hannig wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2016, teetacat wrote:
William Bragg

I think you are correct, as I've wondered that myself.

In Asi Wind's AACAAN (highly recommended), he teaches to subtract from 52. Must be a misprint.

PLEASE do the math
As Michael Close quotes many times in his Workers books: YOU MUST SUBTRACT FROM 53

THE WISHING TRICK Workers Number 5 page 594 digital (print 126)
(When you do any calculations like this from the bottom of the deck you must subtract from 53 rather than 52.)

The Invisible Deck 607: "We subtract 17 from 27 (this is another example of having to add one to the stack number of the card on the face of the deck) and we get 10."
The Smiling Mule 612
The Card Stab page 625
JAZZIN page 633

math is magic!
Larry
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
840 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
Larry,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the confusion on the math here stems from whether you are cutting a card to the top of the deck or the bottom of the deck. Subtracting from 52 will tell you what card needs to go to the bottom of the deck (e.g. In a simple ACAAN, if the card is position 12 and needs to go to position 25, we have 25-12=13, and then 52-13=39, which means you need to cut the 39th card to the bottom, as that cuts the necessary 13 cards to the top. Likewise, if subtracting from 53, you know which card to cut to the top, which is 40. The result is the same.) the reason for 53 in the Wishing trick is because the effect is a named card coming to the top of the deck. I find for many other effects I prefer using 52 as I can glimpse I cut the appropriate card to the bottom (also, I often simplify the math by subtracting from 50 and then adding 2 to the result, as I find this more intuitive to work with, and adding 2 is easier than 3).
H2Odesign
View Profile
Regular user
the Armpit of the Panhandle
191 Posts

Profile of H2Odesign
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2016, sgtgrey wrote:
Larry,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the confusion on the math here stems from whether you are cutting a card to the top of the deck or the bottom of the deck. Subtracting from 52 will tell you what card needs to go to the bottom of the deck (e.g. In a simple ACAAN, if the card is position 12 and needs to go to position 25, we have 25-12=13, and then 52-13=39, which means you need to cut the 39th card to the bottom, as that cuts the necessary 13 cards to the top. Likewise, if subtracting from 53, you know which card to cut to the top, which is 40. The result is the same.) the reason for 53 in the Wishing trick is because the effect is a named card coming to the top of the deck. I find for many other effects I prefer using 52 as I can glimpse I cut the appropriate card to the bottom (also, I often simplify the math by subtracting from 50 and then adding 2 to the result, as I find this more intuitive to work with, and adding 2 is easier than 3).

Yes you're right sgtgrey,
I was incomplete in my statement and I needed to be more precise in my point.
Choose the need for the formula and calculate your math based on the direction from either the top or the bottom of the deck.
BUT
-keep it simple-
I use 53 most often in the Invisible Card as my deck is split at 26. I have to calculate for the sum to equal 53 to find the chosen face-down card.
It is a matter of perspective and I was looking at it from my "glass half empty" point of view.
Sincere apologies
Larry
avasatu
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of avasatu
You are doing yourself a disservice if you have not carefully read every single on of Simon Aronson's books twice through. His memorized and stacked deck work in particular is genius.
Forty Six & 2
View Profile
New user
Three cheers and some toasts for my
97 Posts

Profile of Forty Six & 2
Forget memdeck tricks for a while and focus purely on a single card divination. Coupled with some convincing !@#$e sh****es and c*ts this is easily the most powerful effect I have performed.
Seek and you will find
Ahlichs
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Ahlichs
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2009, The Amazing Noobini wrote:
It's kind of odd to me that a book like Mnemonica would inspire the need to make a video at all. It kind of cheapens it. It's not exactly hipster street magic territory anyway. You have to be a pretty big nerd to read all of that book. As I said... I am reading it now. Smile

Am huge nerd. can confirm.

WRT best mentalism tricks in Mnemonica, I'm going to throw another vote into the "Card Divination" bucket. I do a 5-card divination (basically the exact same thing as a single card divination, but with 5 cards) and it's probably the strongest thing that I do. I love doing Mnemonicosis, but people seem to remember the 5 card divination more. Mnemonicosis is a lot of fun for me creatively, but I regularly have friends say something like "show her the thing with the 5 cards!". I've done All of a Kind (another super fun one for me), Carbuquillo, and thought-of-card Triumph for people and the one that everyone remembers is the card divination. I'm starting to think more and more that Juan was right when he said throw out the book and just work on that Smile
shakuni
View Profile
Special user
977 Posts

Profile of shakuni
So, basically you let them take 5 cards and divine them? Thanks.
Ahlichs
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Ahlichs
Yep. Exactly that.
shakuni
View Profile
Special user
977 Posts

Profile of shakuni
Thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Best Mentalism Tricks with Tamariz Deck (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL