The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Susan Boyle - Britains Got Talent 2009 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I was puzzling over that one, too!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
I was absolutely gob-smacked by her performance.

The sheer guts she showed to come out, push all her chips into the middle of the table and go for broke, knocked me out. She was terrified and scared shi*less--but she came out and gave it everything she had.

What a perfect song for her to sing. IMHO, the song literally oozed her pain and hurt that she has been carrying since a little girl. The bullying, the "never been on a date", the "never been kissed". She has watched life pass her by and she transferred all or her repressed hurt, sadness and honest emotion into that song. She could not have picked a better song to sing. That song was tailor made for her. She literally owned that song.

And, despite all of that, she kept her sense of humor and even THAT showed through. And what a beguiling cheeky smile. No phoniness here.

What a beautiful innocent spirit. Frankly, I found her charming and one of the most beautiful people I have ever seen.

By the time she finished her song, I was emotionally drained and weak as a wet dishrag. That said, I came away with a sense of spiritual renewal and a deep respect for the wonder of mankind in general and for the unquenchable human spirit she possesses in particular.

Way to go, Susan. You ROCK!!

Mike

P.S. Oh! And the voice? I thought it was perfect and the song was delivered with perfect phrasing, vocal inflection and pitch. That song is not an easy song to sing. Lots of chord changes and minute changes in tempo.

Look at the judges’ faces!! Before the very first line of the song was sung, the judges instantly knew that they were witnessing something truly special, beautiful and extraordinary.

Later, I took the time to read the many comments by the famous stars that have sung that song and the comments of many professed professional singers and musicians. Comments like: "Perfect pitch", "Beautiful phrasing and delivery", "Full of emotion", etc.

P.P.S. Just, IMHO; your mileage may vary.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
The papers in the UK have found a charity recording she did 10 years ago....shows real versatility and if she doesn't sing this on the next show I'll be surprised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI2DxkrgpgQ
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2304 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I think everything about this was completely genuine, hence the reaction of both the judges and the audience. I first heard this on the radio, so I didn’t have the opportunity to prejudge her. I don’t know why we are so surprised. Many great opera singers are overweight.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
I was just reading another Café thead and came across a post by Juhn Scot. In his profile John had a quote by Jamy Ian Swiss:

‘Audiences seek out performers - be they musicians or magicians or any type of performing artist - to discover interesting characters who reveal themselves, sincerely and believably, to their audiences.’ - Jamy Ian Swiss

How serendipitous it was to find that quote. Helps to explain Susan Boyle's amazing success. People are thirsting for authenticity and honesty.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2009-04-13 12:15, landmark wrote:
Don't know who Paul Potts is..

I didn't know who he is as well. Found him on the all mighty Youtube -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k08yxu57NA

Both Susan and Paul are very talented singers. I wish them both success!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2009-04-18 02:11, Turk wrote:
I was absolutely gob-smacked by her performance.

The sheer guts she showed to come out, push all her chips into the middle of the table and go for broke, knocked me out. She was terrified and scared shi*less--but she came out and gave it everything she had.

What a perfect song for her to sing. IMHO, the song literally oozed her pain and hurt that she has been carrying since a little girl. The bullying, the "never been on a date", the "never been kissed". She has watched life pass her by and she transferred all or her repressed hurt, sadness and honest emotion into that song. She could not have picked a better song to sing. That song was tailor made for her. She literally owned that song.

Man, that is exactly what I was sensing, but couldn't really pinpoint or verbalize. Thank-you for saying that! The song was a PERFECT choice for her. Here is a sweet woman, homely on the outside, beautiful on the inside, who has been the ugly duckling all her life. Ignored, or if not ignored, picked on and verbally abused. ( I know for a fact how cruel kids can be..they did the same thing to me when was a kid)

Anyway, she grew up that way. Never had a chance, never had anyone to really believe in her or give her a half a** chance, then suddenly, she gets this fabulous opportunity to sing on BGT, and brother, doncha' know she was going to let it all loose!! One of the judges said "You're a little tigress aren't you?"

She disagreed, but the fact is the tigress had been caged up all her life, and this was the night she was to be set free from that cage! Brother, all the floodgates of hell could not have stopped her from rocking the house!

Can you imagine all that bottled up inside you for forty seven years???

Eventually some guy will get her..wait and see. "Never been kissed" will surely be history. And again, it's staggering to think of all the pent up passion he is going to run into on that special night...

Beauty is ONLY skin deep!!!
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I really enjoyed watching Paul Potts win Britain's Got Talent and I'm happy for his success. IMO, however, I think Susan Boyle is the better singer. When she starts to sing, there's something about her demeanor that changes. It's very inspiring.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Here's Paul today with his wife being interviewed while in New Zealand -

http://tvnz.co.nz/entertainment-news/sin......81/video
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
At the moment I read this, her video on youtube has gone beyond 29 Million views!

Incredible...

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Indeed she has become an international phenomenon LITERALLY overnight! Her star rose with an incredible swiftness that I have not seen in an entire lifetime!

As I mentioned to another poster, this beautiful woman brings moisture to my dry eyes. She actually makes me weep! But I'm apparently not the only one, because she is a phenomenon ..a National phenomenon now, and I think it is precisely because she is a mystery that everyone would love to to unravel!

I think that is true because I have been Googleing her name and it seems the majority of folks have have their personal analysis/conclusions as to why/how she does what she does! We all want to know the secret of Susan Boyle! We all want to distill that intangible element that she possesses down into a few short, neat words.

Indeed, this humble woman has caused millions of people to wax philosophical!

(As well as emotional!)
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Goes to show that the talent of a singer should be that which comes out of their mouth !!

Not the fact that they expose their flesh, are covered in make up or sleep with Cowel (What talent has that pratt got anyway,,,a big mouth but no bottle and a bunch of fans who keep him rich !!.

So yep she has landed a recording contract, and I hope she makes a bundel. Then gets out of the scene to enjoy her gains in an early retirement.

Quality comes in many forms but from a singer it should be the sound.

Ken.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Whatever contract she receives from the show wont be a great one.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
The premise that the entertainment industry and pop in particular is only interested in the physically beautiful is easily disproved. While I can think of many examples one name will suffice - Celine Dion.

Destiny
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Simon was impressed. It was fun watching the bemused smirk get wiped off his face and replaced with admiration within two bars. I think he'll make sure she at least gets something out of this deal.

Truly great singers not only sing powerfully, but convey the emotions of the song as well. Susan does that fantastically. She is a great singer.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4142 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2009-04-13 04:37, stoneunhinged wrote:
....and 2., she isn't Paul Potts. Not even in the same ball park.

Oh, yes, she is. Most definitely - in fact, I think she is a little better in her genre than Potts is in his (I sing opera, and like it better than show tunes).

I heard a song she sang on a charity cd released in 1999, I think. Only 1,000 were made, and she only sang one song on it. It is on Youtube. She was great.

Make no mistake, though - I am *not* saying Potts is bad.

Quote:
On 2009-04-13 20:26, landmark wrote:
Nice idea about doing voice overs Doug. Maybe that's how they'll allow this to play out.

I don't think so. Part of the whole 'electricity' around this performance and situation is the how everyone thought she would do based on her looks. I hope very much that she is not limited to voice-only work.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Doruk Ülgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ülgen
It was a magica moment when she started singing...you can see from the audiences expressions on their face....
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2009-04-19 15:02, plasticdestiny wrote:
The premise that the entertainment industry and pop in particular is only interested in the physically beautiful is easily disproved. While I can think of many examples one name will suffice - Celine Dion.

Destiny

Or Ethel Merman, perhaps? Smile

Posted: Apr 19, 2009 11:01pm
--------------------------------
I'm gobsmacked again!! Someone here just sent me this link to her singing "Cry me A river"

Here voice is even more incredible that I thought!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI2DxkrgpgQ

Seriously folks, she has some amazing pipes! Sultry and sweet at the same time! She could have had a recording contract years ago!
john scot
View Profile
Special user
brighton, uk
585 Posts

Profile of john scot
Quote:
On 2009-04-18 10:18, Turk wrote:
I was just reading another Café thead and came across a post by Juhn Scot. In his profile John had a quote by Jamy Ian Swiss:

‘Audiences seek out performers - be they musicians or magicians or any type of performing artist - to discover interesting characters who reveal themselves, sincerely and believably, to their audiences.’ - Jamy Ian Swiss

How serendipitous it was to find that quote. Helps to explain Susan Boyle's amazing success. People are thirsting for authenticity and honesty.

I borrowed this from an article on Jamy's website.

http://www.jamyianswiss.com/fm/works/ll-scripts.html
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Reaching 33 Million views on youtube at this moment! Smile

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Susan Boyle - Britains Got Talent 2009 (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL