We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » John Breed's book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Hi kids. I'll be doing a review when I'm off the road but be on the look out for a book just released by an UKster named John Breed. I do not know the man, never heard of him before the book, which is based around childrens performers tripling their income. Where Seriously Silly was the bible on how to routine this new book goes into the areas David Kaye missed in areas of marketing, equipment, selling the show, routines, games, audience control (by stuff David missed I mean other than routining and working for the kids, mostly marketing stuff). It is an amazing book and hits between the eyes, in fact I think it will outrage many of you, then again I think that is needed. Look for my review toward the end of next week in the review section (duh) but if you see it snatch it up. Very impressive and the man clearly knows what he is talking about.

I think if you have Seriously Silly and this new book you have pretty much the basis of a career in performing for kids.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7456 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi MagicSanta -

Previous thread on this book & reviews (from right here in The Little Darlings section):

--> Magic Café thread titled... (Part......r Income

BTW, John Breeds is the inventor of the visible colour painting trick, many years ago. And he's also a member of the Magic Café.

- Donald

P.S. I'm hoping that he'll send me a copy to review for the KIDabra Journal.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
John Breeds
View Profile
Veteran user
England
336 Posts

Profile of John Breeds
Hi Donald and Magic Santa

Thank you for the kind intro to my American friends.

I have already PMd Donald about his Review copy.
Next week, I'll have ready some PDF links (direct from the book) for Stateside Dealers.

I know, to my cost, it's always a bit of a gamble when buying books or DVDs without first seeing them. I am presently in the process of constructing lots of PDFs extracts, directly from the book itself, so that Café members may download, completely free of charge and without conditions, and see for themselves whether or not its contents will help them with their show, try out new some original tricks, get involved with Non-Elimination Games, improve their Staging, additional Advertising tips and how to Sell You!

This service is completely free of charge. I'm just doing it because I have been caught so many times before by all the sales hype and bull**** about a so-called book or home-produced DVD: only to find it's a cheap production with poor content, hardly any diagrams and therefore completely useless for my needs.

If the moderator will let me, I will include a some PDF links here (direct from the book) for all readers, obviously without blatant advertising but just as helpful service to Café readers.

with good Cheers from little old England

John
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Great...now I'll be under pressure, but I don't care! I'll be writing the dang review tonight! So go to the review section under, get ready, books, and see what I, a non biased person, has to say.

I will give you a hint....John Breed knows and tells, that and he is one hell of a lot smarter than I am.
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1001 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
I know I've said it a few times in different threads already, but I'll say it again, "If you don't have this book, you are missing out"!!!!! That's it really, nothing more to say. I've got it, I'm reading it over and over again, and my magic show is getting better because of that. My phone skills are improving, my understanding of the BIGGER picture of entertaining kids is greatly improving.

JoJo
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Agree. Just got the book and it is great. Very well thought out and written.

Great job!
Ken
John Breeds
View Profile
Veteran user
England
336 Posts

Profile of John Breeds
PeepInside01!
PeepInside02!
PeepInside03!
PeepInside04A!
PeepInside04B!
PeepInside05!
PeepInside06!

Thanks Guys. Please feel free to take a peep inside!

John

Polite note to Moderators: I have provided the above links as an information service to Magic Café Readers. They are NOT meant as blatant advertising. Thankyou.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I got the book a week ago. 100 percent agree it is great and a must have. I've been doing games as an add on for years.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1422 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
It is quite a text, sort of a three-in-one:

1) savvy business side text (with similar stuff to the other business guides out there, but comprehensive)
2) a very practical section on equipment, staging, and other technical issues - the stuff often left "uncovered" in most books
3) my favorite section - full of excellent routine ideas using "build it yourself" items - very original

And I forgot the appendix of party games, which I still haven't gotten to.

While not very adept at the psychological side (here Seriously Silly excels), this book may be the best "one stop shopping" text on the issues addressed. A few gripes have been posted on this thread and others that some of the equipment advice may be out of date. Ditto, there is little mention of Internet advertising beyond some very basic stuff on web sites. But despite these quibbles, it is definitely a 9 out of 10. The illustrations are fun, the production strong, and the content relevant, useful, creative, and well presented. Thanks John.
John Breeds
View Profile
Veteran user
England
336 Posts

Profile of John Breeds
Quote:
Mumblemore wrote:
A few gripes have been posted on this thread and others that some of the equipment advice may be out of date. Ditto, there is little mention of Internet advertising beyond some very basic stuff on web sites.

Thanks Mumblemore for the great review. You are quite right, of course, about it being a little lightweight on modern website advertising (only a couple of pages in fact). But where do I stop? There’s already a ton of stuff on the web about the pros and cons of say, the clever use of a gatekeeper page versus meta tags keys that search engines now use; the use of sound jingles versus movie snippets of your show; streaming techniques, and so on. Nevertheless, I accept your point.

Also, for magical entertainers, I tried to keep the sound equipment part tailored as simple as possible, without getting bogged down in technicalities (I used to be into sound engineering myself as part of my Telecommunications Engineering), so I know how easy it is to run away with a million and one features of modern PA systems!

Thanks again Mumblemore, not only for your kind words, but for your constructive comments about the book’s content.

With good Cheers to you and yours.

John
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
As far as the web issue goes the book gives information on getting people to your site. There are standard methods to get people to your site using searches and the look is up to the individual. John makes a great point, where does he stop?

I'll be honest with you, I think the website issue is a no win situation. The guys who put together a solid site w/out the nonsense so many love then the nonsense lovers, and you don't know who you are, will complain. The information in selling yourself can apply to any website which is just an ad that glows if you get down to it. I think John does give info on how to make a good site! One just needs to understand it.

Oh, I was bummed he didn't mention performer insurance.
magicone
View Profile
Veteran user
Doylestown, PA
352 Posts

Profile of magicone
Just ordered my copy a few days ago, can't wait to get it. I was happy to see it's sold by dealers in the USA!
John Breeds
View Profile
Veteran user
England
336 Posts

Profile of John Breeds
DAH! Now why didn't I think of the subject of Insurance : )

Actually, joking aside, all these bits and pieces would make a great booklet as a kind of start-up for would-be entertainers. There are other subjects to think about, for example, Agents; Assistants; methods of collecting your fee; Unions; best Disco speakers; Dress code in a swimming pool: pros and cons of working out of a pencil case; best type of glue for wigs, etc.

btw, I have had a couple of PMs asking if this is an eBook. For the record, No it's not! It's a proper bound book, printed on top quality paper. Moreover, it's freely available in all good American Magical Dealer shops, distributed via Murphy's Magic. If you're in Britain or another European country then it makes sense to order it from Practical Magic in England.

btw, I am on vacation for 15 days, starting this Saturday - so, no answerbacks from me during this period.

John
(Qualified Prof of Fizziofoolery)
John Breeds
View Profile
Veteran user
England
336 Posts

Profile of John Breeds
I've just noticed that Magic Santa has done a comprehensive review of the book: How to Creat kids' Magic and Triple Your Income!

link
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=110
John Breeds
View Profile
Veteran user
England
336 Posts

Profile of John Breeds
Quote:
On 2009-04-15 09:59, John Breeds wrote:
I've just noticed that Magic Santa has done a comprehensive review of the book: How to Creat kids' Magic and Triple Your Income!

link
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=110

Oh, and here's another one:

rann_review01

I think it pays to acquire as much information about a product before parting with your hard earned cash!

John
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2222 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
I am devouring this GREAT book now. Nothing short of brilliant. My question,if your still here John is will this be available in hard back anytime soon,as I know I'm going to wear this paperback version out.

Mike
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
John Breeds
View Profile
Veteran user
England
336 Posts

Profile of John Breeds
Quote:
On 2009-05-25 23:36, shomemagic wrote:
I am devouring this GREAT book now. Nothing short of brilliant. My question,if your still here John is will this be available in hard back anytime soon,as I know I'm going to wear this paperback version out.
Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for the compliments, and I'm so pleased that you are enjoying the book.

For the first print run, I did seriously consider going the hardback route so that it would sit nicely with David Kaye's really brilliant casebound book*. (btw David gave me some great help with my book - thanks again David).
But being an unknown name in the States, I chickened out of launching a casebound version since the total costs, were so much more.

Now that the 'reviews' are appearing, and word about the book is getting about, sales are suddenly soaring. When the time comes for another print-run edition I'll certainly reconsider the situation.
Thanks again Mike.

John

*Seriously Silly by David Kaye (aka Silly Billy)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » John Breed's book (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL