The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Canadian Association of Magicians! » » Magic in Iqaluit? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2249 Posts

Profile of todsky
I've been hired to perform two children's magic shows in Iqaluit later this week, for their Spring Festival. Anyone have any experience performing for the Inuit? Theirs is a culture I'm not familiar with, and I'm wondering how they react to entertainers in general and magicians in particular.
Thanks in advance,
Todd
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Hi Todd,

I performed in Iqaluit in September 01 or 02. The shows went fine and I wouldn't worry too much about it. I know that a lot of my comedian friends get flown in to perform through Yuk Yuks and other agents there too.

Something you will want to be aware of is the locals that will want to sell you their carvings and paintings. I came home with a ton at what I think is a pretty good price. They will show up at your hotel (more like a motel) and ask for you once they know a southerner is visiting.

The town itself is quite small, maybe 3000 people. There are no roads into it and one road out, the Road to Nowhere! The roads have no names (ala U2), but every building has a number designated to it. The taxi service is a flat rate and they pick as many fares as can fit, similar to a bus service with cars.

The stores are not as visible as southern stores. You will probably have to ask. Also, expect to pay higher prices for anything you buy (expect the carvings and paintings).

Overall, I really enjoyed the weekend I spent there and you can see a picture of me standing on the outskirts of town on our web site http://www.evansandevans.ca

Have a great trip!
Mike Segal
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
126 Posts

Profile of Mike Segal
Hey Guys
I did this gig too. 2 years.
Was fun for a bit. Rob has given you some great advice.
If you have any specific questions, Todd, let me know by direct email, as I don't check on the Café too regularly.
Have fun,
Mike
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2249 Posts

Profile of todsky
Very much appreciate the info, Rob. I am hoping to bring back a carving, so I'm glad they're not too much. You have a great website, by the way.

And thanks for the support, Mike.

Todd
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
chrisweeks
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
80 Posts

Profile of chrisweeks
I have had experience performing in yellow knife (a bit different), but be aware of the streets at night as it can get scary with some heavy drinkers and be aware of your suroundings and all of your stuff as when I was in yellow knife a lot of people would try to go after you lougage, but all and all its a great culture and I wouldnt be worried about they are nice people and they know a tourist when the see one so try to barter with them on their paintings and what not..
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Chris... did you do color-changing knives in Yellow-Knife?

Seriously, great suggestions for Todd (Chris, Mike and RJE), and for anyone else who travels "up" there.

Enjoy your experience and the people/culture Todd. Perhaps you could bring a carving or two up there yourself, so that you might make an even "exchange".

Don't forget t learn a few key words of the "locals" language... They will appreciate your efforts. You know, words, like --"Where's the toilet?", "did you enjoy the show?" and ... "nice carving, but too expensive for my pocketbook!" .

Bon voyage!

Let us know how it goes.

Jonahtan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2249 Posts

Profile of todsky
Thanks for the suggestions, Chris.
And Jonathan, I'll fill you in on the details when I get back.
All the best!
Todd
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Hey Todd,

Glad you liked the web site.

I've not been to Yellowknife, but Iqaluit was nothing the way chrisweeks was describing his visit to the north. I felt quite at ease in Iqaluit for my entire visit, day and night.

One other thing about the art offered for sale, remember you can haggle over the price.

If you have time, there is a nice waterfall you can hike to. Buy some sandwiches and a drink to go. Then arrange for a taxi to take you as close as possible by road and give them a time for them to come back and get you. The hike is through a bit of muskeg and then over some beach sized rocks. You are above the treeline and the views during the hike often include caribou.

Have a great trip and get back to us when you return.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
RJE... why bring sandwiches when you can feast on Caribou??

Just kidding for all you members that see caribou as cuddly non-edible creatures.

Todd... you'll bring Caribou sandwiches , right? Smile

JL
Jonathan
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Funny you should mention that..... I had "Surf and Turf" at a restaurant there one night and it was Caribou and Arctic Char. Mmmmmm
chrisweeks
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
80 Posts

Profile of chrisweeks
WHen I was there I had Caribou which was amazing in a peppercorn sauce (one of my favourite meats) and I had muskox which was quite gamy. I didn't do the colour changing knives.. I kept it simple with invisible deck and card to wallet
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Quote:
On 2009-04-16 16:18, chrisweeks wrote:
WHen I was there I had Caribou which was amazing in a peppercorn sauce (one of my favourite meats) and I had muskox which was quite gamy. I didn't do the colour changing knives.. I kept it simple with invisible deck and card to wallet

Chris, ...Are you sure you were in Yellow-Knife, not Wallet-town?

Jonathan
Jonathan
chrisweeks
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
80 Posts

Profile of chrisweeks
In yellow knife, I was at a fishing lodge south of great slave... it was pricey but worth it.
c_guenther
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of c_guenther
Hee hee... It is totally inappropriate, but the first thing I thought of when I read "Magic in Iqaluit?" was....

"And now, watch as I make the polar ice cap disappear!"
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2249 Posts

Profile of todsky
Okay, that was interesting. I did two shows, with a juggler and acrobat, and both were very well received. The kids reacted like kids I perform for here in Montreal, so there wasn't much if any cultural issue as an audience. They have entertainers there every year for their spring festival, so I wasn't such an unusual sight. About 150 kids at one show, and 75 at another.
As for the 'city' of Iqaluit, if you walk in any direction for more than 30 minutes, you're out on frozen tundra, and they warn you about the possibility of coming across a hungry polar bear walking from its winter hibernation, so I decided not to venture too far out. Also, the first couple of days it was unseasonably cold: about minus 30 degrees celsius.
Half the population of 6000 is Inuit, the other half are transplanted white Canadians who are either working for government or have opened up some kind of business there. Groceries and restaurants cost literally twice what they do here, due to the expensive shipping costs. The Inuit almost all speak Inuktituk and English. I really liked the sound of the Inuktituk language.
Didn't eat Caribou, but I did have Arctic Char, which is similar to salmon, but better. And I brought back a pair of seal earrings carved from Caribou antler, for my sweetheart's birthday.
Anyhow, a very interesting experience, but it's nice to be back here where it's relatively warm.

Cheers!

Todd
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Glad to hear you had a good time.
vanishingrabbit
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of vanishingrabbit
The Closest B and M shop is Mine ...I think????????

http://www.VanishingRabbit.com in Calgary Alberta
Magically yours,
Brent Smith - Owner
The Vanishing Rabbit Magic Shop
Alberta's Brick and Mortar
www.VanishingRabbit.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Canadian Association of Magicians! » » Magic in Iqaluit? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL