The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Fastest Trick in the World (need review) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Hank Lee, Hocus Pocus, and probably other dealers are currently selling a new imported European-made version of Al Delage's "The Fastest Trick in the World" (I believe the maker is Tora Magic). The price tag is a tempting $350.00. Photos of the prop look good. "The Fastest Trick in the World" is also known as "Ultra Fast Floral Vanish".

Has anyone bought this version or seen a live demo?

My concern is that the mechanism may be too loud. I saw an Owen version of this trick several years ago that was almost silent, but came with an Owen Magic price tag
(I think Owen's sells TT's for $100.00!)

I can envision covering the noise of "the moment" when the flowers vanish by a hand clap or some other loud noise (musical "ta-da!" cue, etc.) but, I wanted to know if anyone on the board has seen the Tora Magic version of "Fastest Trick in the World" thinks it has an excessively loud mechanism? How far back would the audience need to be to not hear the "whooshing" noise? I would like to be able to do this effect in a banquet or school show setting, which means that I might not necessarily have a stage, but would be fairly close to the audience.

I received some info. on this prop on another magic board.

It's not European, but is made by Tora Magic in Iran according to the other post. It's imported via Europe to the States.

There is some question as to the durablility of the prop, i.e. will it hold up to multiple performances? It looks good, but is the quality of construction built in to have the flowers hold up to the repeated stress of being vanished in this manner?

Again, any input from users of this effect (Tora version) or the other versions from Marshall and Owen would be appreciated.

Do the Marshall and Owen versions need to have the feather flowers replaced from time to time due to wear and tear (stress) on the flowers?

How difficult is it to replace the flowers or adapt a regular feather flower bouquet as a replacement?

Anyone know of a company that makes good looking (realistic) feather flowers, instead of the usual psychedelic feather dusters that most companies put out?

One of the things I actually liked the most about the photos of the Tora Magic version of "Fastest Trick in the World" is that the flowers actually resemble real flowers, not a feather duster.

Anyone tried to make their own feather flowers? Are there books describing how to do it?

Thanks.

David
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I believe that it was the H. Marshall company that invented, and marketed the effect. In fact, Marshall Company made the one that Al DeLage used (and used and used for over 20 years!).

I once visited with Al after a performance at the SAM convention in New York City (76, 77, or so). He was giving a little impromptu talk/discussion about buying top of the line quality props because of the hard use he gave them. One of the props he shows was his Marshall “Fastest Trick”. It was over 10 years old and it looked great!

If the prop is properly designed and built, the flowers are not overstressed. There is no more stress than putting them in a sleeve holder. You’ll replace the elastic more often than the flowers.

I was at an estate sale of magic props recently and saw a Marshall 'Fastest Trick' that was over 20 years old, had been used in a professional’s act and looked almost new. The colors were vibrant and the metal work pristine. To top it off, it worked like a dream. I was to late to buy it!

I know Owens quality in building magic props. I have seen an Owen made version of this trick. And I have seen knock-off versions, one from India and the other from Europe. Neither looked as nice. In fact they both looked flimsy and cheap. The feather flowers were on the small size and their colors were not vibrant at all. The version from India actually stuck in mid-vanish tipping the whole trick!

I guess this is really a buy, a bargain get a bargain type of thing. For my money, I would rather do without a prop and perform a different effect than buy something that looks cheap, poorly made and is unreliable just because it was inexpensive to buy. I have discovered that if you really build an effect into an act, and that act plays well, then you need the best, most reliable prop you can get! You will probably spend the money in the long run by continually having to replace the cheaper models

Save your money and buy the best one made. You will not regret it!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Dai..check out my website for ideas on more realstic feather flowers. All of them were out... But if you get ten or more years from a bush working every night..that's not bad. I would be happy discuss more in detail this subject but don't want to take up too much space.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I personally saw this demonstrated at Abbotts, and was immediately struck by the loud noise it makes. This is to me a dead giveaway, and for that reason I shyed away from purchasing it, and would not reccomend it to anyone. It doesn't seem like magic, but rather sounds mechanical. Ughh.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
A.HOUDINI
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of A.HOUDINI
I just recieved this trick from TORA. The quality is OUTSTANDING!!!,The gimmick is a fast reset and very little niose.It is also very easy to pack and transport. Its a solid sturdy effect that is well made and reliable. Its also beautiful to see done. A real eye popper.
look at this video and check out the reactions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqI4AaNnvWs I hope this helps
WWW.AHOUDINI.COM MAGIC & ILLUSIONS for PROFESSIONALS
gstas
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of gstas
Hi all, I have this prop for a few years now which ive never used. Finally ive come up with a comedy routine for it which I think will play well, but I have a couple of questions.
My question is this for those who work this prop. Does the vanish have an impact on audiences or not or can they see thru it? The noise factor is my concern so music is a must.
Does anyone have a youtube video of this performed infront of a real audience and not just a demo.
All the youtube stuff ive seen is mostly demos of the Tora model.
Any help appreciated. Thanks
George
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I can't believe that guys are still buying this knock off effect and wondering why it does not impact audiences. If you buy the original, it is made properly and it does impact the audience. Just ask Levent who has two of them (1 only for a backup) and uses them every show for over 15 years. he used it on Masters of Illusion so you should be able to find a video of his presentation or on his website.
Harry Anderson did mine on the first HBO Comedy Relief special.

Don't sell an effect short because of poor presentation or workmanship. You need both to make a winner.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
rhettbryson
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
406 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
If you are purchasing an upper end trick to use as a WORKER in your act, it make great sense to buy the best quality item you can. It will most likely hold up best over time, operate without fail and give you years of trouble free service.

The original - and in my opinion the best - example of this fabulous trick is made by Hughes Magic. I have one and treasure it. (I had mine especially and custom modified years ago by the old Collector's Workshop to operate by sound. A quick gunshot causes the plant to immediately vanish. NO trouble with this method of covering any noise the trick might make. Harry Blackstone Jr used this trick in many many sage shows and, as my memory suggests, used a blank pistol at the moment of vanish.
keith2606
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of keith2606
I have the one from Tora and China Magic as I didn't know who was the originator for this trick. I find the one from China lacks in quality. The one from Tora is of much better quality.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Fastest Trick in the World (need review) (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL