The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Light sensitive plastic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17656 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I am looking for a clear plastic (slightly tinted) that is light sensitive and turns black in a few seconds. Something similar to tinting glasses. Photochromatic or photochromic plastic sheets.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Dragona
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of Dragona
I have never heard of such a thing. The closest thing that I have heard of is a plastic that is clear and then somehow frosts itself. Of course this was in the door of a bathroom stall in Vegas, but it really did work.
I have the breath of dragons and the soul of a human.
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
You might want to look into Tech Glass. It's rather expensive though.

Basically what you have is a window completely transparent, then with the flip of a light switch it turns white, making the whole thing totally white. Very cool stuff!

I think it's made by 3M. I think there is a post on the Kevin James board about this stuff. It has some pics of it as well. Ryan Reed of Illusion Entertainment posted the idea of using this stuff. He's a true genius.

I can definitely see this stuff in a lot of illusions in the future, if one could afford the price. I am sure once it's on the market for some time the price will go down.

Heck give Ryan a call, he may be able to design the effect you are trying to accomplish.

Tell him I sent ya.

Best of luck,
Mike
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17656 Posts

Profile of Slim King
There is electrochromatic glass that is frosted when the electricity is OFF and transparent when it is ON. That was used in one of the nations top ten bathrooms located here in West Palm Beach FL. That might work for some designs that I have but I'm still looking for a photo sensitive plastic ( Although I think that the glass used is really a plastic of some sort).... I'll try these web sites and keep searching. I would like to find a suppier of this cutting edge STUFF. Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
Have you thought about looking into the coating that opticians use to create glasses that tint in sunlight, as you mentioned in your first post? I believe you can apply this stuff to just about any glass or plastic, and it should be a lot cheaper than the electroglass. I was looking into electroglass myself for an illusion idea, because I wanted a mirrored surface that would fade to transparent without a change in light level.

-Reg {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Light sensitive plastic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL