We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » A Little Help For A Newbie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Peabody
View Profile
New user
Atlantic City, NJ
25 Posts

Profile of Peabody
Hi guys, I need some help. I've been performing magic for about 30 years both as a hobby and for part time pay. Last week, I was asked if I would be interested in doing a show at a local "Haunted Hayride" this October.

I've always loved the horror and occult genre, but I've never mixed it with my magic tricks. This seemed like the opportunity to do just that!

Each show is only going to last 15 - 20 minutes, so with some good story telling, I should only need 3 or 4 tricks to do the whole show. I've been in contact with Roth and am anxiously awaiting some items I ordered from him just to get some ideas.

I think I'm going to do this as a Seance type setting. What I need to know is what should I be reading at this point. I did purchase, "The Dark Waltz" by Michael Fraughton and one of the best things I read in there is not to pick your tricks first. You should pick your story or stories first and then find the tricks to match.

Having never performed Bizarre Magic I need to know what are the "must have" books. Every coin guy needs "Modern Coin Magic" and every card guy should have "Royal Road" and most of us own the whole Tarbell series. What are the books I need to help stoke the creative flame for Bizarre Magic?

Thanks for helping the newbie!
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1933 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
You should get your hands on Jim Magus' Arcana of Bizarre Magick, of which you are in luck because he just released an expanded edition. I'd also add Christian Chelman's books, Ed Solomon's massive tome along with Kotah's books, Baba's Voodoo book, Bill Ligon's book, Black Hart's Big Book and The Compleat Invocation.. and...fortunately we happen to be a renewed golden age of bizarre that there is good stuff available! This will tie up your wallet for a while. Then when you are ready, there are more!

To start, I'd say get the Arcana and Compleat Invocation as those give you a great deal of historical context and the thinking that has brought us to this point.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » A Little Help For A Newbie (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL