The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Mock promo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
This is a mock up promo video. We are not in costume, we are only going through the motions of the effects, we skipped the choreography, there is no audience, and I look like crap. I did this to get familiar with the editing software. I want feedback on the editing, scene transitions, and choice of material. This is in NO way, shape, or form the final product. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d4l5SzP-lo
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
I think you should wear better costumes, work on the choreography, involve a live audience and do something about the way you look.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Quote:
On 2009-04-16 19:38, Thomas Wayne wrote:
I think you should wear better costumes, work on the choreography, involve a live audience and do something about the way you look.

TW

Was that an example of mock feedback? Or just mocking feedback? Smile
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
http://www.magicnook.com/magicbob
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2476 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I view a promo much like a trailer for a movie. It doesn't have to show everything... just the strongest visual moments that will lure you in to watch (or more importantly PAY) for the full show or experience.

I would stay away from showing entire routines. It can also be as little as 90 seconds. If you don't have much material, keep it short.

My teaser promo for years was about 90 seconds and had over 60 different cuts in it. By the end of that, you knew if you were interested in my show or not. The cutting is to keep interest, also get MUCH closer shots. Remember the buyer will be watching it on a small screen. If you have a full shot of you doing a small effect on a stage, they will not see enough detail and will quickly loose interest.

I avoid a lot of fancy wipes as it doesn't really help anything and tends to get confusing visually. Let the music dictate the cuts. Keep it moving, use dissolves to show a transition of time in one effect if necessary but we don't need to see every facet of a sword chest. The money is the reveal, nothing more. Because you see it on her head and the head is gone, you get it. The head revolving, they get it... although I would avoid two head effects that look the same visually. I know they're different effects but the start is too similar. Close on the second sword coming through the neck, pull back to reveal her face, etc.

Stay tight and with clean strong visuals... the ring links, good... the cards, no idea what happens and it doesn't make me want to come to the show.

Astro-sphere, great, let the camera move around you to show the back of the cloth. Block Penetration, nothing much going on there. It might be a great routine with dialogue but doesn't translate enough for a stage act.

Don't close with the head popping gag. Make your best trick the ending, your second best the opening, then throw everything else in the middle.

The graphics were great, the music had plenty of energy. Try to get some reaction shots of a satisfied audience. Remember, the buyer isn't buying you, he's buying the reaction you create for the audience.

...good luck!

Ray
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:

TW

Did you not read what I wrote? Smile
akolodner
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of akolodner
Hi I agree with Ray. Shorten your clips to the magic moments cutting the set ups. Leave the viewer wanting to see the full presentations. Also I would choose one head torture trick only. To a lay audience they are too similar. If you do the head twister have your assistant work on increasingly funnier faces and do it slower as if you were actually twisting a head. Otherwise it just looks too obvious. (Maybe as you said you were just going through the motions) Also I would take 2003 out and leave the award. 2003 makes the promo look dated the more time goes by. Astro sphere is your strongest visual. It's beautiful. I'd end with that.
Arnie
Arnie Kolodner
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
881 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Just as we don't like it when a person buys some "self-working" props and begins selling themselves as a magician, we should not buy a computer with some editing software and fancy ourselves videographers. There is a whole lot more to creating an effective video than grabbing the ol' camcorder and shooting some stuff and chopping it together using whatever "cool" wipes and other transitions are available in the software.

If you are wanting to use performance footage (as is often done) you'll want to shoot lots and lots and lots and lots of footage, most of which will never be used. And you'd be best off using a professional cameraman. You have serious problems with framing, composition, and your hand-held footage is very amateurish and distracting. If your camera is going to move it will need to be on a jib, dolly or Steadicam or similar stabilizer. All of these devices require a lot of skill and practice... just as magic does.

Your music is high energy, but there is a disconnect to the visual. Even if you are not going to use it in performance, you should have the music playing in the room while shooting so that when you go to edit there will be at least some connection of the audio to the visual. If you are moving to the energy of the music, you'll at least be able to use its basic rhythm to assist in editing.

You might also consider (hiring) a narrator to describe the features/benefits of why a client should hire you over your competition. And has been mentioned above, audience reactions shots are GOLD. Ultimately your presenter is going to be far more interested in the audience's experience than what you or your props look like. That's not to say that they aren't important, they're just not the most important!

The biggest mistake we can make in creating marketing materials is thinking that because we have the basic tools we can do the job ourselves. There is soooooo much more to creating an effective promotional video than most magicians are aware of. The same can be said of brochures, posters, business cards and other printed materials as well.

We want people to hire us as magicians because we have put in all the hours of rehearsal and research and routining etc. etc. etc. Things that the audience never sees. We should be mindful of hiring proffessionals to produce our marketing materials as well, because they have invested at least as much effort in their craft as we have in ours.

Not trying to be a downer, just a realist.

Best of luck!
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
The assistant was sitting down in three of the effects......
Two head illusions and one neck effect. Mix up the material even if you have to buy some new effects. The rope and hoop thing got lost in the shuffle and I'm not sure what the head pop deal was. Always have the camera on the black curtains and not the side walls etc.

Do a close up shot of you performing a close up effect like Matrix on a black close up pad. This will break up all of this box looking magic stuff.
Newspaper tear and other visual effects that are pure and then edit in some of this stuff with it...

I hope this helps...
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
JasonB
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of JasonB
If you just aren't sure if a segments just too short or too long then just cut it a few frames shorter, when in doubt, cut.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2009-04-16 19:49, dpe666 wrote:
Quote:

TW

Did you not read what I wrote?

I did. That's why it's funny.

See, you presented a "mock promo", asking for advice, but you qualified that request by offering a laundry list of things about the video that you acknowledge make it less than "perfect". So when I feed back to you exactly the criticisms that you had already acknowledged, it creates a sort of abstract humor. Consider a similar example, in which you might say: "What do you think of my big red hat?" and I might answer: "Why, I think it's red... and quite large." You either get it or you don't (for example, "magicbob" doesn't get it), but I know one thing for sure: it's not as funny if I have to explain it.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Yup, if you have to explain a joke...

Sigh...

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
AlexBorsci
View Profile
New user
Italy!
34 Posts

Profile of AlexBorsci
I think that you don't need to show everything! Just show the best moments... for example when the head twist (and no when you put the illusion on girl), when the sword passes troghout the neck, when the head vanish above the swords! Just the best moments that make curiosity in the people who wach the promo...

Ciaooooooooooooo
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
I like Devlin's first promo better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d00pTfhD4Vw

Rich B.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I was going to comment earlier but decided to be kind. But, this looks like an ad for Mak Magic. Who is your target audience for the promo?
Personally, I don't think you can take a "catalog" act and promo it, unless these are the fillers in between the illusions.
The props you use are parlour props.
I also agree that there are too many head boxes, actualy too many boxes altogether.
BTW where did you win Magician of the year 2003?
Now, is the actual act routined? Is there a theme? Or is the "head in a box" the routine?
That Rock act took a lot of guts to do, and there was a lot of gut showing as well.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
AlexBorsci
View Profile
New user
Italy!
34 Posts

Profile of AlexBorsci
Quote:
On 2009-04-17 07:42, Rich B. wrote:

Rich B.

Yeeees! I prefer this too!!!

Ahahahahahahahah

INCREDIBLE!! IT?S AMAZZING!
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Just tease them with some of the highlights. Quick looks at the highlights will give the potential customer just enough to want to see more. Why hire you if they see your whole show. For example the dagger head chest; just show you putting one sword in and then go to the finished product. Just a suggestion. NOT A JOKE! LOL!!!
johnobryant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
195 Posts

Profile of johnobryant
It seems like you did the same trick over and over again. I have something against doing effects where you have to put something on or around a spectator. Its hard for me to even THINK about putting an audience members hand in an arm chopper. If its a promo you need audience reaction, and maybe show the final seconds of the routine instead of the whole thing. Maybe get some better video editing tools as well. The more you invest in your show, the more you will get for it.

-john
andyleeroy
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of andyleeroy
Wow ;-)
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2009-04-17 07:42, Rich B. wrote:

Rich B.

I swear to God, that is NOT me! Smile
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Sorry DPE666...you do resemble that guy. I apologize.

Rich B.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Mock promo (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL