The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Curly- cue move (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5972 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Has anyone ever seen it done? can anyone do it ? is it really the hardest flourish on the planet?
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
519 Posts

Profile of msmaster
I've seen it done twice, once by the originator Randy Holt, who is deceased. I'm told, having never mastered it myself, that once you get the "hopping" part, which takes some muscle not unlike the regular LePaul hopping spread, that the index finger under the cards needs to extend to support the cards as they move. Good luck, this is a tough one, master this and you'll be the only one on your block who can do it.
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1166 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Yep, I've pretty much given up on this. Every now and then I give it another go - but it's a real tough little cookie!
Mark
noble1
View Profile
Special user
649 Posts

Profile of noble1
Do you do the normal LePaul Hopping Spread?
disgruntledpuffin
View Profile
Elite user
i have nothing to say about my
421 Posts

Profile of disgruntledpuffin
Its like chasing the impossible dream.

One day I will learn it. Untill then I live in fear of it.

Jack Tighe
james prince
View Profile
Loyal user
England
229 Posts

Profile of james prince
Saw this done last year when I was working onboard the Cruise Ship Aurora

One of the passengers could do it extremely well

He was purely a hobbyist and as far as I know this was the only heavy weight item he knew

He kindly took me through it, in a quiet moment but I didn't pursue it

My initial impression was that it was not that difficult but needed a good clean pack to work
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1166 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2009-04-20 12:09, james prince wrote:
My initial impression was that it was not that difficult

I would say your initial impression was wrong! Smile

Mark
james prince
View Profile
Loyal user
England
229 Posts

Profile of james prince
Possibly!

Maybe the context of this guy who could do only very basic stuff, doing this move, made me underestimate the difficulty involved

James
trashmanf
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of trashmanf
This move begs the question of why do something the extremely hard way when you get close to the same effect with a simple one-handed circular fan.

one benefit is that the fan appears to be "growing" without any apparant hand movement, but you can also get this effect with a one-handed fan by showing the faces instead of the finger side (which is the usual way anyways)

also its very difficult to make a curly-Q fan as round or even as a regular indicies fan. So why (other than the hobbyist reason of pursuing a challenge) should a worker spend a lot of time on this one? my opinion is that it would be a waste.
magic_man_ace
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of magic_man_ace
It really isn't that hard once you know how to LePaul Spread. The thumb is on the top of the deck in near the upper right corner (on the top card), acting as a pivot point, from there your thumb presses down as you Le Paul Spread... The grip starts off sorta tight with the initial part of the double fan, then you release pressure and let the cards automatically complete the double fan. So slightly past half way of the double fan's opening, you release pressure and let the cards sorta slide into place on their own... not sure if it's inertia or a slight tilt of the hand, but it seems to work for me. Give it a go.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.” - Tom Robbins

"One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” - Robert A. Heinlein
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
Unlike the Curly Cue, at least when you put in the work for the LePaul Spread you have a cool way to hide the pass.
AndreasLund
View Profile
New user
Denmark
37 Posts

Profile of AndreasLund
Hey there... (magicfish)
I just dug up an old video of my own take of the move... so you can see what it looks like - or at least what mine looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd_wep6KyBg

cheers
m.taylor
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of m.taylor
Focus on putting more tension on the bottom half of the deck. Remember the middle of the deck flares out not the top. Left hand fingers on the upper right long side of the deck. Pressure should be similar to the tension while holding the deck in Erdnase grip.

Your thumb lays across the top, pointing towards the top right of the deck.
Your first, second, third, fourth fingers apply pressure towards the base of the thumb.

Hope this helps.
bodybyfood
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of bodybyfood
AndreasLund

Seems to me like I've seen your last take on it before...right before I played a game of 52 pick up!

Looks good overall, keep up the good work.
trashmanf
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of trashmanf
Looks terrible, which actually probably means its a pretty adequate curly-Q.
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1166 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Hey

I think that's not bad at all Smile

Mark
mag1c kev1n
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of mag1c kev1n
I have been working on this move and it's haaaard lol
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Curly- cue move (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL