The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Cheaper Way:versitile: MP3 player than MP3 tech & iCue or iPod (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I own a MP3 Tech with the added $500 LED display (Total: $1,400)

Below is an alternative to the expensive devices:

First: Have you noticed the price of laptop computers? $350-$400 for a decent small laptop. Remember we are buying it for show music and the other great features are an added plus like having a computer!

It's not necessary but real nice if it has Bluetooth capabilities for a wireless/presenter mouse. The next item one needs to buy is a presentator like the ones listed below.
Quote:
USB or Wireless PowerPoint presenters
Remote Control for Power Point: AMP03US:...... Pointer can be purchases at Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, etc. for $40.00

Same money and get a Bluetooth wireless remote moust and p......nter

In less than an hour using MS PowerPoint I created the same thing as I have with the MP3 Tech except I need my glasses to read the display (which makes it useless to me becasue I don't wear my glasses during a show).

The laptop screen allows me to see what tune and routine is next and displays large print so I can see what is playing.

• Fast clicking on the Presenter allows me to skip without playing
  • One click the sound stops. the next click plays the next tune (slide)
  • I have unlimited programs (MP3 Tech is limited to 10 programs)
  • It is easy setup and to link mp3 sounds
  • I can use battery power or plug in the laptop.
  • It fits my suitcase
  • It has a sound output to my amp for playing the mp3 music.

As for the laptop, well a Windows XP notebook is priced right, larger systems cost more.

I have a $1,000 Acer Laptop which is still cheaper than what I paid for the MP3 Tech.

If you already have a laptop, or buy a used one, it still will work with any version of PowerPoint.

Your comments welcomed.
Dennis Michael
Dennis Michael
Gary Shelton
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Gary Shelton
This is exciting I have been looking for a solution like this.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
This sounds similar to the system I got to "test drive" from a guy in Nashville a few years ago. It was called the "Performer" system. It would let you associate a particular photo with the track, so if you used that audio track for one effect, you could have a photo of it as it runs. Very nice, however, I never had a decent place to put the MAC laptop during most performances.

Sounds wonderful if you have a place for a whole laptop in a show. I use my system during some birthday party shows, and I can't imagine having to find a place for a laptop during a show like that.

Steve
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Remember you are not buying an 18" screen. a much smaller one would work. It is ideal for a kids type magic show. Now if you consistently play large stages, you should have a sound guy running your system or a computer table in front of the stage with the laptop on it. Otherwise setting it on the floor in front of your show is just fine. You should also have your speaker system in front of you to prevent feedback with your microphone. These two plug in together.
Dennis Michael
Colin Uk
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Colin Uk
A few comments....

How long will the laptop work on battery?

How long to fire up windows?

(I have unlimited programs (MP3 Tech is limited to 10 programs))

How much does a few extra cards weight compared to a laptop?

A laptop will attract interest and possible fiddling with by 3rd parties?

Colin
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
The mp3 tech will do more than 10 programs, it is simply 10 programs per SD card.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

I agree with Ken and Colin. MP3 Tech is a great product, I own one. Again, my eyes can't read the MP3 Tech Display, so that $400 unit is useless to me. The price of an SD card is cheap enough and you can have multiple cards.

Colin,
Some laptops, according to what I just read, last up to 9 hours on batteries. This is a feature that increases price. Since one needs, most of the time, a plug-in for their sound system, so too one can plug in the laptop.

Firing up windows doesn't take long. It takes me far longer to set up my show.

Yes, the computer can be "fiddled" with just like kids fiddle with the props on the table.

Keep in mind, this concept is not meant to replace that excellent mp3 tech. It's just that not everyone can afford one but they may already own a laptop. One needs only to learn and apply PowerPoint and buy a $40 presenter (Staples) that was listed above. It's even cheaper if one's looks around on the internet. It's a starter system until one can afford MP3 tech. I am moving to the laptop so I can read what is next.

BTW, I set my show up in the order I use the props. I do change props based on the venue. If one does 20 shows a month and it's the same show, one should know the order of routines well.
Dennis Michael
simchamagic
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of simchamagic
Hi Dennis,

The thing that's best for me in the mp3tech is the remote - I put it in a sewed small pocket in my pants, and I always feel safe that by just touching the 'pants' - the device works as required.

What is the type of remote you're writing about?
Does it have the same capabilities, i.e. - large range (at least 25 meters), through obstacles, easy to use buttons, reliable?

Thanks,

Simcha
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

The link above shows the remote. The range is stated at 30 feet. The top button starts and stops the slide the right button stops the music and is ready for the next sound/slide. The left button goes back one to the previous sound/slide.

For $30-40 dollars it fit in your hand (small but not as small as mp3 remote.
As for reliablity. Ive used it for years as a presenter in my seminars and Power Point presentation. I don't think it works in a pocket. I placed it in my pocket and at times it did work and others it didn't until it was out of the pocket. Most of the time, since I do kids shows, my remote is on the table.
Dennis Michael
Gary Shelton
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Gary Shelton
Does the MP3 tech have a large display add-on?
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Dennis,

I've been using mp3 files embedded in a power point show controlled by a RF remote in my school shows for years. I love the fact that I can rearrange the show order simply by moving the slides around in power point. And I like using the screen as a display in the wings. I just title each slide with the routine name in large letters so I can see if from center stage. Simple and easy.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
jamiesalinas
View Profile
Special user
Houston
728 Posts

Profile of jamiesalinas
I own an MP3 Tech and this device does exactly what it is supposed to do without me holding anything in my hand or any bulky presentation controllers. I am not saying that this is a bad idea. I perform at many corporate events and comedy clubs so my investment in the MP3 Tech was well worth it for me.

The MP3 Tech can fade a track when you want to. I do not think you can do that with PowerPoint.

For less money, you could use an iPod with a wireless controller as well. There are always cheaper solutions. I am happy to hear you found something that works well for you and are willing to share it here!
Jamie Salinas
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
There's some software about to come to market with the ACER that will handle all the fades, delays, etc. and it's killer. that's what I'm using now.

more later...

p.s. it's not my product.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Um,

The software that can do the fades, custom text sizes, playlist and more is WINAMP.

The Targus Presenter buttons can be remapped to control Winamp.

http://ikitz.de/projects/
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Frank,

I think I have that software but I don't use it.

Gary,

The $400 dollar remote display with the mp3 tech has a display the size of a "label maker" or in other terms 1 inch and the letters are slightly larger than these you are now reading.

Jim,

Thanks for your comments. This thread is an alternative to the $1,400 mp3 tech and display. It is not meant to replace it.

Jamie,
Thank you for your comments. I too have and use the mp3 tech, but my eyes cannot see the display. I like the idea of a large display and it would be awesome if Wireless Wizardry had a 10 inch display.

To the Readers:
Wireless Wizardry is the best in the business for remote sound controllers that are hidden in the hand or pocket. Easy to line up the songs on a 2 GB SD disk, but not as easy as PowerPoint. If you own a laptop and want to use it in a show and want to save some money in these financial troubling times, then this laptop, PowerPoint Presentation and Presentation Remote Controller is the way to go.

Try it and you might find it to your liking. The price is right if you already own a laptop. Otherwise, save your money and go with the MP3 Tech. There is good reading in this thread and great comments for MP3 Tech. Also Jim Snack is a "guru" in his own right.

Dennis
Dennis Michael
Gary Shelton
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Gary Shelton
Dennis I have the same issue of not being able to read a small display while performing
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
That is pretty sad that a basic music control systems cost more than a great laptop! I've heard MP3 tech is a great product, although I've never used one myself.
I'm waiting for someone to produce a sound control system in India or China, I hear some are in the works. From what I understand, the board isn't that hard, and the effects like autofade aren't too difficult, it's the compatibility and integration with other software that poses the difficulty.

Anyone else know of anything being produced overseas?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2009-04-20 05:20, Dennis Michael wrote:
Frank,

I think I have that software but I don't use it.

Nope. You don't. Smile
The software was written my a magician.
it's got a ton of features for ad-hoc sound effects, fades, delays, etc.

It was given to me last week. What I liked about it was that I double-clicked on the icon, it came up to the first song and was ready to go right after installation with a sample playlist.

Stay tuned however. It's going to be great.

WinAmp is another option but I don't know enough to know how they compare.
I believe Jeff Haas is a WinAmp expert and really likes it.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
scody
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of scody
Hey Folks...
Here it is... the sound commander.

As Frank says, there are a bunch of features....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnTtzlRndYM

If you have a windows laptop... you are in with a 50 dollar remote and the software (I think I'll make it about $100, I just rethought the price point... I was origianlly thinking $200)

If you don't have a windows laptop...
I can configure the whole setup for you for $600 plus shipping on an Acer Aspire One Netbook.

They are awesome.

PM or email...
I have never put out a product before... so I am offering full support and any software upgrades.

I have been using this guy for the last year and a half and LOVE IT.
You can email me at steve .. sbobo.net

Thanks for the plug Frank!
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
The Sound Commander looks great from the video demo. The combo of having all the commands on the remote, plus dedicated buttons, is very nice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Cheaper Way:versitile: MP3 player than MP3 tech & iCue or iPod (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL