The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Business Card Design (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18485 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2009-04-21 12:42, Malchat wrote:
Apparently it takes 25 years...


that guy is an absolute comedy genius!
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1853 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2009-04-21 01:43, ponchito wrote:
Take a look in here

http://www.magiciancards.com/

enjoy

Ponch


has anyone actually used this guy? I actually like his business card idea..
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1740 Posts

Profile of 0pus
This discussion is very interesting.

Is the use of business cards by entertainers different from the use by business people? I ask because most discussions indicate that performers expect the recipient to keep their business cards indefinitely.

In business, I usually receive business cards in a somewhat formal exchange at the beginning of a business meeting. I usually arrange the cards in front of me in an array that duplicates the seating pattern around the table to give all of the meeting participants little "name plates" so I can address each participant properly. At the end of the meeting, I usually scan the contact information from the cards of the important people into my PDA contacts list and then throw the cards away or file them in a big book I never look at.

Two-sided cards usually have the same information on both sides, but in different languages. I find cards printed vertically to be "gimmicky." Cards with a lot of graphics covering the face (full-card pictures, etc.) are hard for me to read; a printed logo is fine.

A business card that is part of a trick need not be so formal, of course.
I also note that Paul Brook's example only had his name and a URL. Are people putting less and less contact information on their business cards?

Given the differences between what I encounter in business and what I see here, I was wondering whether corporate entertainers have different cards for those gigs (i.e., more corporate and less entertainer)?
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
I live inside your computer.
1243 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
Opus is pretty accurate here. But I think he's only addressed half the story. Giving your card out isn't HALF as important as the cards you receive in return. As long as you have their contact information, let them throw your card away. Who cares? You be in control of the contact.
Jeff Travilla - Author of "The Extractor." I work in advertising and marketing now. If you are a professional worker and need marketing help, feel free to contact my company. JCM Media Group.
Ken The Klown
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of Ken The Klown
Quote:
On 2009-04-21 14:02, IAIN wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-04-21 12:42, Malchat wrote:
Apparently it takes 25 years...


that guy is an absolute comedy genius!


As temtping as it is to mock Joel, he's absolutely correct. Your card should not just tell people who you are, what you do, and how to contact you. It should SELL you. It should tell prospective clients WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR THEM. (Yes, I shouted that because it's important.)

When Joel was working trade show, his card told the client, "Crowds Guaranteed." Boom. Two words that told the client the benefit of hiring Joel over "Bob Smith, Magician/Corporate Entertainer."

FTR, I'm not Joel, nor a devotee. Just someone who recognizes good advice when he sees it.
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2342 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On 2009-04-21 14:32, pearljamjeff wrote:
Opus is pretty accurate here. But I think he's only addressed half the story. Giving your card out isn't HALF as important as the cards you receive in return. As long as you have their contact information, let them throw your card away. Who cares? You be in control of the contact.


This must be an issue of how you get bookings. I can't imagine how few bookings I'd have if my cards weren't passed around (I know becaue they tell me when calling/emailing about booking me: "I got your card from Joe Cardgiver...").

As performing is a side gig, and I would hate to do it, I never cold-call people just because I got their cards, they contact me when they are looking for somebody. Again, I perform because I like it but my "real" job is where I make my money. It's probably different for others but... ick... I neither ask for nor receive many cards when I am performing, although many are given out (most often as parts of effects).

My preference and experience both contribute to my personal distaste for the whole "As long as you have their contact information, let them throw your card away" approach.

Am I the odd one out on this? I am more than happy to be so, btw, I am just curious.

PS- I'm not sure tempting to mock that guy is the right phrase. It goes WAY beyond temptation, into the realm of breathing and eating. You just HAVE to mock that guy, spouting off stock marketing phrases, making grand pronouncements (also a straight up marketing approach), but remaining emminently unlikeable (which is where it all goes wrong, you have to have some sort of charisma to pull it off, he doesn't, which is also indicative of a lack of self-awareness on his part). I know you don't want us to mock him but I think we can ALL agree that just a little bit of adjustment on his part would make his message much more easy to stomach.
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
I live inside your computer.
1243 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
It's not a cold-call if you've already met them! Smile Why rely on a little piece of paper getting passed into the right hands? If that works for you, then by no means am I suggesting that you should change. I was just trying to advocate a different point of view.
Jeff Travilla - Author of "The Extractor." I work in advertising and marketing now. If you are a professional worker and need marketing help, feel free to contact my company. JCM Media Group.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11711 Posts

Profile of John C
Nothing WRONG with asking for a card. Send them a mind tickler or some such thing. Then an email reminder every so often.

I know when I get cards (not from prospects but those that consider ME a prospect!) from others they end up on my dresser for a while then thrown out.

Sure, it's a great idea to ask for their card as well. Why not!

J
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2342 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Calm down, Jeff.

I was going to get into the difference between cold and hot calls but decided not to get into it. I also took great pains to stay away from a completely different aspect, them giving you the card for the express reason of setting up a show for them (which is distinct from just getting somebody's business card).

I will note that you completely ignored the entire idea of word of mouth with the performer's business card but that's ok. If you only ever want to perform for people who hand you business cards, that's your approach. I like having an interesting card that gets passed around. Apples and oranges. I really don't care and, frankly, I don't even consider them to be competing strategies, just utterly different.

I can say, however, that my last 5 bookings came from people who heard about me from others. At least 1 or 2 CONFIRMED that they got a copy of my business card. I couldn't imagine taking the attitude that I don't care about my cards and whether they keep them. This is the difference.

I also am not putting your point of view down. Not even a little bit. However it's an approach that would, FOR ME, take all the enjoyment out of what I do. And since I perform for enjoyment, not pay, that makes all the difference in the world.
blackESP
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of blackESP
Less arguing, more cool designs thanks Smile
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2342 Posts

Profile of Chris K
How about coming up with one yourself?

Right, I forgot.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Business Card Design (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL