The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Strange Travelers / Princess Card / Limited Edition (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jnork
View Profile
Regular user
Jason Christopher
166 Posts

Profile of jnork
Hello All,

When doing any of the above tricks for spectators when there are a group of them what are your best suggustions to endsure that only 1 person thinks of a card ... as you know it looks fishy if 3 people 'mentally select' a card and you cause all 3 to vanish.

Any suggestions?

I try to get to the far end of a group that only allows one person to see the spread but at times that can appear a bit like one is trying to hide something.

Jason Christopher
Yours in Magic!
Jason
MagikDavid
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, OH
298 Posts

Profile of MagikDavid
Jason,

You might try something a little bold or gutsy... Pick 3 people from the audience and ask each of them to 'think' of one of the cards, but keep their selection to themselves. Proceed as usual... then ask each of them to stand (or hold up their hand.) Then when you show the finale, tell them to sit down (or lower their hand), if their card is missing. When they simultaniously sit down, immediately comment on how amazing it was that each of them thought of the same card. You might say to them, "Do you all have psychos... uh... I mean psychics in your family?" Then, quickly move into your next effect. Don't delay... don't give them time to discuss it among themselves and compare.... go immediately into your next effect.

After performing the rest of your show and by the time they compare notes (if they even remember which card they thought of,) enough time will have passed to confuse them even more, as they try to 'backward engineer' what they saw. To others in the audience it will seem as though they witnessed a real miracle (three choosing the same card.)

Dave
One good thing about being wrong...
Is the pleasure it brings to others.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5954 Posts

Profile of motown
There are some versions of this effect where you only want one person to remember a card.
I think in Josh Jay's version a blank shows up in the pack and the remembered is produced from somewhere else. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this,
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
jnork
View Profile
Regular user
Jason Christopher
166 Posts

Profile of jnork
Dave, sort of like a ' Tossed Out Deck ' rouine? I like the idea in a more parolor / stand up setting but not close up. For example, I working a wedding and the table is circular and seats 8 ... I can go to one person ... but ususally another person or two can see the cards and they may 'think' of a card also.

I could go on to the next effect quickly ... but I'd like to get a semi fool proof method of only having ONE person think of a card (ohther then seperating them from the group)

Jason
Yours in Magic!
Jason
martyjacobs
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1052 Posts

Profile of martyjacobs
Depending on the effect, more than one person thinking of a card isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, for effects like Strange Travellers, this scenario does expose the modus operandi of the magic.

In these cases there is only one fool proof way of ensuring one person thinks of a card: only instructs one person to think of a card!

For example, write some instructions down on a piece of paper. These instructions should include the request to think of a card. Give this to your intended participant, and then spread the cards on the table. This procedure would have to be justified by your presentation though, which might prove difficult.

Another way is to ask a spectator to stand next to you while everyone else stays seated. However, depending on the environment this might also be difficult.

You could also try and occupy the group with another task while your intended participant thinks of a card.

The boldest method would be to ask everyone to hold hands and shut their eyes, as you would during a séance. Pick one person to be "the eyes of the audience" and ask them to think of a card. Square up the packet and instruct everyone in the group to open their eyes. This would undoubtedly create an eerie atmosphere, which might make the effect more memorable. Again, such a proceedure would need good justification to make the presentation logical.

Hope this helps,

Marty
jnork
View Profile
Regular user
Jason Christopher
166 Posts

Profile of jnork
Marty, thanks I like the idea of both the written instructions as well as the closing of eyes. It is a bit off for me as I tend to be a more comedy-oriented guy ... but I think that would make it a memorable effect. For Strange Travelers, perhaps putting the packet of cards where the thought of card appears on the table and have all the specators put their hands on top of it and then close their eyes would be a worker ... that way EVERYONE gets to take part in the effect.

I'll try it out in the next 4 days at the restaurants and let you know how it turns out!

Fantastic!
Yours in Magic!
Jason
MagikDavid
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, OH
298 Posts

Profile of MagikDavid
Jason,
Sorry bout that... I wasn't aware you were doing close-up (shoulda read your post more carefully.) Also, it's true that 'Strange Travelers' would present a problem. Lucky for you... you have some brilliant ideas from MartyJacobs that you can use. Keep us posted!
Dave
One good thing about being wrong...
Is the pleasure it brings to others.
loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
Montgomery Village, Maryland
567 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
Well for the limited edition, it actually SUGGESTS that you hold the fan to one side and hold it so that every one can see the fan, but only your spec (on the left) can see the faces clearly...you can do this while turning away to indicate you're not looking at the faces (though it's really to keep the angle).

The instructions were pretty good on this point if I remember correctly...that is if it's The New Limited Edition...
Visit my blog: ScienceIsMagic.com
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
The simple solution to this issue: Only perform this effect one-on-one!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
You could look up Paul Harris' version of Strange Travlers, it is called Naked Strange and adjust it accordingly. I like it a bit more personaly and it's improptu. I'm not sure exactly how Strange Travelers is performed, I speculated it was gaff and made a version with that in mind (wasn't very practicle) and have heard of it being done with a card that people will more likely choose over the others.
jnork
View Profile
Regular user
Jason Christopher
166 Posts

Profile of jnork
Yeah, I know the best solution is one person .... but not too practical for me. I like Loyal eagle's idea that makes it look like you're being very open.. but not. Great suggestions and thanks!

jason
Yours in Magic!
Jason
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Strange Travelers / Princess Card / Limited Edition (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL