The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » What's the best way to age leather? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Peabody
View Profile
New user
Atlantic City, NJ
25 Posts

Profile of Peabody
I have a leather bound notebook I purchased for an effect, but I need it to look worn and old. What's the best method? The pages are attached at the spine, but the front and back are loose and flexible so I can bend and crinkle them.

What's the best way to make this look like an antique notebook?

P
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson
Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
Are you wanting to just age the cover or the whole thing?

Leather ages differently depending on how it is stored. In dry areas it will dry out and crack. In humid areas it will grow mold/mildew. You can use some very fine grit wet/dry sandpaper and sand the areas that would have the most wear for a worn look. I have used this technique on leather.

For the pages, I recommend wetting tea bags and rubbing them on the pages.

Also, here are some good source for ideas:

http://www.miskatonic.net/pickman/mythos/whisper.htm
http://www.miskatonic.net/pickman/mythos/tome.htm
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
You might also dirty it up. If you think about it, the oils from your hands constantly handling leather would discolor it in certain areas. Mink oil or something like it would darken areas that it was applied to. You could also scuff it up. Look at your shoes and wallet for examples of how leather is effect by wear.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
gillesA4
View Profile
Special user
Brussels, Belgium
593 Posts

Profile of gillesA4
There is a technique I use for years, the problem is I don't have the foggiest idea of the english name of this chemical: NaOH , "soude caustique" in french: you soak the leather with a 20% solution, wait 5 minutes and rince thoroughly; the leather looks 100 years old! Oh, yes: WEAR GLOVES and kick the kids out, this thing is really nasty!!!
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. (A. Einstein)
BillyTheSquid
View Profile
Veteran user
My bamboo hut's supported on
331 Posts

Profile of BillyTheSquid
Hi Gilles,

NaOH - caustic soda or "sodium hydroxide". I agree, it's very nasty stuff. You would need to wear goggles also with this - any in the eye = trip to A & E and probable loss of vision at 20%.

Nice links Pauly! Thanks.

Cheers,
Matt
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
Sodium hydroxide, also called lye, is a strong base. I would advise that you discuss the dilution, use and disposal with a chemist. It is important that the proper procedures and protective clothing be used in handling this chemical.

Any concentrated acid or base can produce serious reactions, even when mixing it with water or other chemicals.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Bill Fienning is right. Even mixing those strong chemicals with water can be dangerous if done improperly. I have seen a bottle of acid explode when a student added water. Splashing sulphuric acid and flying glass are not to be taken lightly. Lye is just as dangerous.

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
You can use both Tung or Teak oil.. and or Oil Paint to discolor and age leather..

I've done it for Tons of costuming and theater..
Peabody
View Profile
New user
Atlantic City, NJ
25 Posts

Profile of Peabody
Thanks for the advice guys. A little tung oil, black and brown shoe polish and some 800 grit sandpaper did the trick. It looks good as ancient!
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
Easy way:
Acetone on soft cloth, apply to leather and repeatedly wear away the color, leaving a streaked, aged look
that can't be beat. Take it further with a slight application of "Antique Black" solution.
Nothing is truer than the incomprehensible, because the sum total of our knowledge consists of the fact that we know nothing. Our reality is an illusion. Thus illusion is reality-Punx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » What's the best way to age leather? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL