The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » What should I chose? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
Hi, I'm looking for some plans for a Platform appearence for my assistant but wich one shoul I chose? Walk the Planks or Paul Osborne A Strange Disappearance

Please note that I'm looking for the one that has the Pest Performing Conditons.

Thanks
Dare to Dream...
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
Both of these need to be performed in a theatre where you have control over the lightning and you need a dark (black)background.
Also you can't wheel these props in (or out).
SillverFoxx
View Profile
Loyal user
A Foxx in Her Soxx has...
224 Posts

Profile of SillverFoxx
Hmmm... Pest Performing Conditions... am envisioning dancing rodents with leotards and hats. Smile
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Both need to be performed in a theater.

If you want something to perform in more conditions, you may want to opt for an appearance such as a crystal casket.
-Matt
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Andrew Mayne has a very simple production in his booklet, "The Secret Illusion Show" that is nice and very cheap to put together. Again certain performing situations are required but the restrictions are not as rigid as the above illusions. Magicians will probably hate the effect because it is so low-tech and simple. Andrew did this on his driveway and it worked very well. It cannot be done surrounded as described, however. With some reworking it is possible that this could be used as a vanish, but I have never tried that. That is just a thought that occured to me as I was writing this post. Smile
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Try a Fire Cage - Click here This one is built from Dream Illusions. Great illusion and excellent craftsmanship. If fire is an issue there are MANY ways you can perform this illusion with out it. Talk to Jack he has several ideas.

Also depending on who your assistant is here is a great child appearance effect - Click here

Best,
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
The Strange Disapperance is covered in vol 6 or 7 of Tarbell. I know it's there as I've seen it and always wanted to build it, but haven't yet because of the staging restrictions.

Quote:
On 2009-04-21 17:02, dpe666 wrote:
Andrew Mayne has a very simple production in his booklet, "The Secret Illusion Show" that is nice and very cheap to put together. Again certain performing situations are required but the restrictions are not as rigid as the above illusions. Magicians will probably hate the effect because it is so low-tech and simple. Andrew did this on his driveway and it worked very well. It cannot be done surrounded as described, however. With some reworking it is possible that this could be used as a vanish, but I have never tried that. That is just a thought that occured to me as I was writing this post. Smile

I have that book and am familiar with the effect you're talking about. While I have never used it, I seem to recall Andrew cautioning that due to the method, this item should be used very early in the show, so it would stand to reason that executed in reverse, it should occur at the end.
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
SillverFoxx
View Profile
Loyal user
A Foxx in Her Soxx has...
224 Posts

Profile of SillverFoxx
Quote:
On 2009-04-21 17:45, The Mirror Images wrote:

Also depending on who your assistant is here is a great child appearance effect - Click here

Best,

I really like this one!! I'm hoping to see it in person sometime in the next week. Looks very slick.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2009-04-21 17:48, Drew Manning wrote:
The Strange Disapperance is covered in vol 6 or 7 of Tarbell. I know it's there as I've seen it and always wanted to build it, but haven't yet because of the staging restrictions.

Quote:
On 2009-04-21 17:02, dpe666 wrote:

I have that book and am familiar with the effect you're talking about. While I have never used it, I seem to recall Andrew cautioning that due to the method, this item should be used very early in the show, so it would stand to reason that executed in reverse, it should occur at the end.

If you have a front curtain that can close you could do it at anytime during the show. However, if there is no curtain, then yes, it should be a closer. Smile
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
I already thinked about the Crystal Casket and Fire Cage but I just wanted a simple platform appearence effect... But in the ones I posted, what is the best?

Thanks
Dare to Dream...
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
In that case I would go with the Paul Osborne plans. Smile
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
I had the Strange Disappearance illusion built, years ago, from the plans in the Tarbell Course. It has served me well and I am glad I have it, since I've been able to use it for many different purposes. However, like the others have said, it does have a number of staging / lighting concerns.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I built a version of the Strange Disappearance for the Judy Carter "Goddess of Mystery" show years ago. Mine had worse angles but was a LOT faster and surprisingly strong. She stepped up from the back of the prop, raised the curtain and dropped it that fast and was gone.

Bill Taylor saw it and came up with a brilliant idea for dropping the curtain behind the triangle so you could see behind it immediately after the vanish. It's not good for most situations but in the right setting is a miracle.
Ray Pierce
Bryan Drake Show
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama
125 Posts

Profile of Bryan Drake Show
I'm not a ig fan of the Stragne Disappearance, as I am a travelling magician, and it is not practical for me at all at different venues.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2009-04-23 16:27, Dale Bosarge wrote:
I'm not a big fan of the Stragne Disappearance, as I am a travelling magician, and it is not practical for me at all at different venues.

I might be wrong but most of us that have ever done this illusion have used it in more than one place so we all travel. It DOES require the same needs as virtually any BA effect but that's really not a lot for a larger act or show. If you're just looking to add an illusion to an existing act, I would agree that this isn't for you. lol... stick to a sub trunk, basket or brooms!
Ray Pierce
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » What should I chose? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL