The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Portable stage (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dragona
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of Dragona
What is the best way to build a portable stage? I have thought of 2x4 framework with birch ply on top. The footing would be 2-3 foot sections of doubled up 2x4's or just sections of a 4x4. Is this practical? Are there any other ways to build this?
I have the breath of dragons and the soul of a human.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Dragona,

"Portable" is a relative term. If you have an 18-wheeler and a lot of time to set up, a huge stage could fill the bill.

Where do you perform, and how do you propose to move the stage?

How large a performing area do you need?

A few 4' x 8' 3/4" plywood sheets on sawhorses or milk crates may suffice. Schools may have "risers" available to put together as a raised platform. A portable backdrop goes a long way toward creating a "performance space," even without having a raised platform.

0pus
Dragona
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of Dragona
Well, all I really need is a small stage that I can use to do a vanish. A small trap door and some black fabric, and I have a black magic stage. But I want the footing. It should all be able to fit in the back of a truck or van. So it won't be too big, I just want to know if 3/4 in. birch and some 2x4 framing should suffice enough for a nice black magic stage, or am I going to need to get a bit more intricate and get some fabric to completely cover the stage?
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
A lot will depend on exactly how much weight this stage will be holding. Not to mention the actual size. Built & braced properly, the birch ply & 2/4 design could be sufficient.

I would personally fabricate it out of steel.

You might want to check around with portable stage companies, that's what we did before designing what we use.
Dragona
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of Dragona
I know how to brace it properly. I am a novice woodworker, my dad a master. It would only be holding me and maybe a black magic table much later (when I get the money for that), a combined weight of about 200 lbs. Everything else is dependant on what works best for black magic. I gave you all the information on how I was going to make it so you could guide me on that. Oh, and let me add a question to that, can I paint the stage and still have it work?
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I wouldn't waste money on birch for a stage floor. But you may want to get tongue and grooved plywood to avoid creaks and movement of the plywood butt joints. This would also allow you to go to 2 foot centers rather than 16 inch centers on your joists.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Brent Allan
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
415 Posts

Profile of Brent Allan
"A small trap door and some black fabric, and I have a black magic stage."

Could you define, exactly, what you mean by black magic? If you are referring to black art, then it is going to take much more than a stage to get it going. Black Art also has lighting restrictions, so you would have to invest in some lighting equipment, too.

Also, you say you need the stage for a vanish. Is having a portable stage and going through all of this effort really worth one simple effect?
Turn your business card into a relentless salesperson that brings you business!

http://www.TransformYourBusinesscard.com
Magicrma
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona
101 Posts

Profile of Magicrma
Staging platforms can be made out of 1 X stock. Most of the ones that I worked with had 3/4 inch plywood decking. They were a standard 4 X 8 size. You can use the basic design to make almost any size and design you want.

You can find the basic layout in any theater stage-craft book (try your local library).
They can handle a lot of weight when built correctly. You can add traps to the deck with a little work.

They break down to the deck and the riser frame, which folds close to flat for transportation.
"The art of Illusion is at least 95% applied psychology" Henning Nelms (Magic & Showmanship)
<BR>
<BR>MagicRMA
<BR>Majicrma@msn.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Portable stage (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL