The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Happy Earth Day! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1917 Posts

Profile of DT3
Happy Earth Day everybody!

As you can see, the Café has decided to show it's support by going green today.

As mentalists, we go through a LOT of paper don't we?

Today I have made a vow to use no effects or routines which use paper in any way.

Who else will join me in the quest for a day of paperless mentalism?

Might be helpful if those in support listed effects that would work as alternates.

I'll get us started:

-Metal Bending
-Anything by Jerome Finley

Who else is with me?
r1z08
View Profile
Inner circle
1157 Posts

Profile of r1z08
I'll break out the whiteboard.

-rob
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
The watch effect on the Max Maven Nothing DVD using a mobile phone to display the time they turned to instead of paper.

Peace & Love

Matt
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17485 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I'm with you but not exactly .....
I will be using every paper item I can find. Paper is America's Renewable Resource !!!! (I'm from the Pacific Northwest)

(WOW ...Just had a De' JaVu Smile .....)

I will be avoiding STYROFOAM !!!!!!!!

(Made from Oil and clogs our landfills)
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
990 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
My daughter's teacher sent a note home from school explaining that we're supposed to turn off our lights for thirty minutes to support Earth Day. To save paper, I scribbled a response on the back of the note and sent it back with Emma.

I wrote: "We turned off all the lights just before going to bed last night and didn't turn them on again for SEVERAL HOURS. In fact, we plan to do this every night for the rest of our lives. Hope this helps. Happy Earth Day."

Best,
Mick Ayres

PS: Don, I use playing cards to make my living as a mentalist. Best I can do is to arrange for one tree to be planted for every deck of cards I use.
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Don Theo:

I too am an EvironMentalist. One of the reasons that I write ebooks.

My Infusion effect uses the nw in writing on the INSIDE of a water bottle's label, but it is a recyclable effect. You can use the same bottle over and over.

- entity
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1233 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
WHAT! Are NONE of you taking this seriously? Okay, so those who know me are aware that I have a regular newspaper column. You can read my (hopefully controversial - because that's what the editor wants) views here:

http://www.westlothianhp.co.uk/drews-vie......54008.jp
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11635 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2009-04-22 09:04, Mick Ayres wrote:
My daughter's teacher sent a note home from school explaining that we're supposed to turn off our lights for thirty minutes to support Earth Day. To save paper, I scribbled a response on the back of the note and sent it back with Emma.

I wrote: "We turned off all the lights just before going to bed last night and didn't turn them on again for SEVERAL HOURS. In fact, we plan to do this every night for the rest of our lives. Hope this helps. Happy Earth Day."

Best,
Mick Ayres

PS: Don, I use playing cards to make my living as a mentalist. Best I can do is to arrange for one tree to be planted for every deck of cards I use.

YEA! RIGHT ON Mick!!

Seriously, great response to the teacher. I have GOT to give this to my kids.

I will cancel my subscription to the Palm Beach Post to save paper as well. Maybe put some people out of a job too. Is that good?

J
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2819 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I have decided to use BOTH sides of the TP today...

Have a good E Day everyone!

Nathan
mrmystic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
200 Posts

Profile of mrmystic
This is an interesting topic, I think I'll print it out and save it.
StuartNolan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of StuartNolan
Without specifically endorsing its viewpoint (I don't consider myself knowledgeable enough to voice a solid opinion on such a complex topic despite being a ex-scientist) I found this talk interesting http://brechtforum.org/who-will-build-ar......rophe?bc

Particularly the fact that the Stratigraphy Commission of the Geological Society of London has unanimously voted yes to the question "Are we now living in the Anthropocene?"

We may be in a new geological era defined by our presence! Why isn't that news a big headline? I find it strangely exciting.
"One should always be a little improbable." - Oscar Wilde
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
I live inside your computer.
1243 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
Quote:
On 2009-04-22 10:12, Drewmcadam wrote:
WHAT! Are NONE of you taking this seriously? Okay, so those who know me are aware that I have a regular newspaper column. You can read my (hopefully controversial - because that's what the editor wants) views here:

http://www.westlothianhp.co.uk/drews-vie......54008.jp

Great article Mr. McAdam. I agree that most of this global warming stuff is perpetuated in order to instill fear and panic. Oh, and it was leading Americans that really kicked the panic into high gear, e.g. Al Gore, et al... Everyone knows that we Americans love being afraid of our own demise at all times! It gives us a reason to buy $#!+. Fear mongering is a capitalistic trait that is unavoidable.

However, I do think that no matter what the TRUTH is about global warming, it's causes, truth, or fiction... as long as it's not used for the sake of panic and fear-mongering, having a better understanding of energy consumption and limited resources can NOT be a bad thing. Awareness isn't too harmful in my mind.

And trees are magnificent! I'm going to go hug a tree right now!
Jeff Travilla - Author of "The Extractor." I work in advertising and marketing now. If you are a professional worker and need marketing help, feel free to contact my company. JCM Media Group.
magicandsoul
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of magicandsoul
And let's not forget that great founder of Earth Day either...

http://www.magic-city-news.com/Editor_s_......09.shtml

M&S
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
Quote:
On 2009-04-22 11:37, Nathan Pain wrote:
I have decided to use BOTH sides of the TP today...

Have a good E Day everyone!

Nathan

lol..lol....lol

Nathen you made me shed a tear on that one.

Today is actualy my birthday so we went out for dinner and I performed a perdiction
but used a my napkin.
I did end up using the napkin on my lovely face in the end.
Twitter @darjames
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2819 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Smile

Nathan
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1917 Posts

Profile of DT3
Good to see someone else using both sides, Derren.

PS Happy Birthday!
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
Thanks Don Smile
Twitter @darjames
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Today I are mostly going naked...

(Might not mean much to non-UK readers).
StuartNolan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of StuartNolan
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/a......sceptics

Another article for those of you with an interest in this debate. I think Simon Singh has an unfortunately hectoring tone that may simply annoy those who deny climate change has a man-made component. The article does point to some interesting sources for further research though.

s
"One should always be a little improbable." - Oscar Wilde
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Happy Earth Day! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL