The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Thumbs-Up from Hottrix (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
295 Posts

Profile of davekilpatrick
Drat! I was hoping that the Thumbs Up would be an improvement on my Vernet. I guess not. I think I'm very good with my TT. Hands always in casual motion, back of hand often facing audience with thumb casually tucked behind palm out of the line of sight, etc. However, some of the kiddies know about those "fake thumbs" and actively look for them. They get them in their magic sets, and seem to know about them in various ways. (Did the masked magician give away the TTs?) So the ad for an improved TT was enticing to me.

Thanks guys for the honest review. I was going to buy the $99 package from Hottrix which contains Handz Up, a soft and a hard Thumbs Up, and some extra stuff. Maybe I should just get Handz Up (and maybe I should get it from Jerry!)

Dave

Hey guys, while we're on the topic on improvements in TTs.

I got to play with the Flip Tip in a magic shop. I REALLY liked it, but haven't ordered it yet. The advantage of the flip tip is that you have access to the item from either end. Produce a silk at your fingertips with no messing around–you never remove the tip! The only question I had was whether you could comfortable use a 9" silk, like you can in the Vernet. The little silk that came with it was 6", I think. Not as impressive a production, but still quick and visual for close up or close range at birthday parties (forget about stage).

It can be used as a normal thumb tip as well. It seems like a pretty good quality thick rubber. Overall, I was impressed.

Anyone know if you can use a 9" silk? I did not try a folded bill in it. Does that work okay?

What I didn't like is the way it is being marketed. It is about $25 for the package, which comes with two Flip Tips and a video. I'm sure the video has some great ideas (I'm guessing, I haven't seen it). But I'd just like to buy one tip. It seems I can't do that.

I bought a silk trick that is on the market that also had access from both sides. It was simply a small, soft TT with a slit along the tip of the thumbnail outline. It seemed like a piece of junk compared to the quality of the flip tip, and the flip tip is designed differently than the one I just described (much better, I think).

I hope Rocco will consider selling the Flip Tips separately. That might be a reason to pay a little more than the $4 Vernet (unless, of course, you are stuck with a 6" silk, and then you'd need your Vernet for that application).
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1253 Posts

Profile of rmendez
I am a huge TT fan and really enjoyed everyone's views on an age old classic.

I've performed with 9"-12" silks and streamers hundreds of times and have never been caught by the laymen with the exception of a few spectators already hip to the gimmick. Something I learned from the "Rules of Thumb" 3 volume video series is to first perform the vanish bare handed to test the waters.

I guess I'm right in the middle on this thread. Personally, I favor the "Japanese Semi-Softs" and particularly "Thumbs-Up Hard" because of the realistic shape since I have long, thin fingers and believe you should feel comfortable with your TT before performing.

Contrary to what most magicians believe, I flash my TT to spectators often. Even at a mere 2 feet distance and they never see it. What I've found to be the most important aspects is spectator angle control (the way Blaine does it when he is performing a levitation) and keeping the hands casually moving only pausing when the tip is not in view. I've actually frightened many people with this effect because it does look pretty convincing when performed correctly.
MagicAL47
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of MagicAL47
I like the coloring of hands-up just fine. I think it is a very good third hand gimmick except for the fact that it is a little big, because I'm only a kid. But it works fine from the stage.

By the way, the thumbs-up, I bought one and I don't know if it was the same made by hottrix but it was soft, it had veins, and had a good skin color and it was like 4 bucks at a Super Sunday convention in June 2002, I think. It might have been sold by Dave Cresey, not quite sure.
~Magic-Al~
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1995 Posts

Profile of Titanas
I have a huge collection of all the TT's on the market and some more. All I can say is stick with Vernet.
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
cardican66
View Profile
Loyal user
Alabama
222 Posts

Profile of cardican66
IMHO, The Japanse semi-soft are very realistic looking TT's. I also like the Vernet King size TT.
Regards,
LLoyd

Experience teaches only the teachable.
Aldous Huxley (1894 - 1963)
Ian_B
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Ian_B
I prefer FT over TT.
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
I use the Thumbs Up & think it is great.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Alex Tan
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
290 Posts

Profile of Alex Tan
If you like FT, you might like to check out Jay Scott Berry's Eclipse. I like it more than the FT.
myshadow
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of myshadow
Anyone know when TTs were first used or when they were first mentioned in the literature?
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Nothing better than replying to posting that's 2 years old!

Are all the thumbs up the same size? If so, how long is the TT?

And has anyone bought the magnet for the TT from Hottrix? I'm thinking of getting it...

Thanx!
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
As far as I recall, they're all the same size.
Check on their website.
I own one, I sort of collect tips, but I don't think it's worth $15 for a minute.
The laughable thing is, the detail. Anyone getting close enough to actualy see the fingerprint design is close enough to see it's not a real thumb. Duh.
Out of all the ones I own, Vernet is still the king, at least, for the value.
But, to each their own. I bought one, after all.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
sullivanl
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of sullivanl
A good TT worker can work with a bright orange TT and the audience will never suspect anything. I remember hearing a story of a famous magician who did a TT lecture, and at the end of it he showed the TT, and it was silver! But of course not all of us are that good and require the leeway that the fleshtone gives.

I bought an excellent TT in Paris, it is a hard TT, but you get to choose from a big selection of different sizes, etc... amazingly realistic. I can hardly tell it apart from my own thumb, no joke.
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I just purchased this thumbtip. While the detail is nice, it has little difference to an average TT for much less $$.

Dan.
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Mystician,

I too sort of collect thumb tips. I've bought every one I encountered except the really bad (too pale or too dark or just junk) tips I've found over the years.

Thumbs up is just okay, not worth the money in my opinion, stick with your good old
vernet tip...

Steven
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Heya haywire,
I agree. ThumbzUp, for $15, gets a thumbzdown.
I have even the crappy tips in my collection, but because I bought 'em on eBay, not really knowing what to expect. It's still okay though, they give me a chance to compare colors and appreciate my vernets more - it's not like they broke the piggy bank.

If I had a penny for everytime somebody repeated that tired old mantra about using a fluorescent orange thumbtip, I'd be up to my thumbs in rhetoric and worthless coins.
They don't see the hand for the thumbtips, so to speak.
Yes, you can "pull off" a vanish, maybe even do two short routines, but sooner or later the spec will notice that you're not openly showing your hands in full, or in the open. Eventually the little voice in their head will nag them that somethng smells of a hustle, something's being hidden. For short routines, probably not, but hey, why not make a tip that really looks real ? No need to hide your thumb, or worry about ditching it ASAP, and , if you're using a magnetic one for PK effects, appearance becomes really critical.
Okay, I'll get off this soapbox now, I've made this speech waaay too many times already Smile
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
I have tried many TT and find the basic is best.
Frank
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
I agree Mystician.

If I hear that story about the red thumbtip or orange one or gold one
even one more time I'll throw up.

Personally I tried to get one of those arlen studio thumbtips but he had problems and stopped making them. If I could get one that was a perfect match for size/color and fully detailed obviously that would make handling easier. YES of course its no excuse for proper handling, but with a really really detailed color
matched prop, you'd certainly be less likely to flash and have a lot more confidence.

Thumbtips are my favorite prop. I can do an entire show with a thumbtip and some borrowed items if hard pressed (and I have been!)

Thumbs up, extreme close up workers, lots of tips I've bought, I always come back to a particularly pale (like me) vernet tip. Still I have collected a bunch of
different thumbtips.

I've all but jammed that thing in a spectators face and never been caught with it.
I guess it is all in the handling!

Steven
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
Lets see, spend $15 for a thumbs up, and then more for the make up to get it to match my skin tone (because I am too lazy to learn proper thumb tip technique, and I want instant gratification), or spend $4.95 for a Vernet? This is a no brainer.

Bob Phillips
Skeleton
View Profile
Veteran user
Germany
318 Posts

Profile of Skeleton
To infinity, and beyond!
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
I hate the stories about purple and green and orange TTs. One of the BEST most deceptive moves is not hiding the TT showing youe hands empty fingers apart with the thump pointing directly at the audience. They are lookign right at the TT but cant Tel.
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Thumbs-Up from Hottrix (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL