The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Slam Poetry Magic Square (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Benji,
I have got to say man I love your fresh style, you kick it and the audiance loved it, awesome job.

-Floyd
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
I've definitely thought about my back being towards the audience and I probably will end up changing it so I face the audience. Thanks.
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
992 Posts

Profile of Gianni
I applaud Benji's creativity. But the effect did not do anything for me. I confess that I could not make out the words very well. After 1 min., 30 seconds I gave up.

You may wonder why I posted this. It certainly was not to be insulting in any way. I admire Benji for being in the arena. But I did want to say that there may be others like me who did not "get" the routine. I worry that this board too often wants to encourage one another over a critical assessment. I simply could not make out what was happening here and what was being said, and can't undrstand how everyone else did.

Gianni
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2699 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Benji, that was the bomb! The video was very easy to understand imo. Gianni, please look up Slam Poetry as it might help you understand what you've just witnessed.

The Magic Square will never be the same after this. The bar has been raised!
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
barneyfife
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of barneyfife
Benji,

What was the group you were performing for?

Barney
Always in motion is the future
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Quote:
On 2009-04-23 22:57, barneyfife wrote:
Benji,

What was the group you were performing for?

Barney

99% of the audience was black and understood slam poetry. It was a Black Student Services Awards Banquet which is the reason why I didn't explain what they already know.
Aaron Little
View Profile
Loyal user
Lexington KY
263 Posts

Profile of Aaron Little
That was excellent. I have never been interested in working with the magic square until now. You have truly inspired me. Thank You.
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Quote:
99% of the audience was black and understood slam poetry. It was a Black Student Services Awards Banquet which is the reason why I didn't explain what they already know.

I'm glad you mentioned this. It's worth pointing out to anyone that is considering this type of approach that white people find slam poetry VERY hard to understand.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17478 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I'm white.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Slim, may I be so bold as to suggest that you are black on the inside?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17478 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Maybe Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Aaron Little
View Profile
Loyal user
Lexington KY
263 Posts

Profile of Aaron Little
It made perfect sense to me.
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
Man, that was nice!! Kudos.
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
I am white as you can tell in my avatar, heck I am full blooded Irish red if you want to get down to it hehe. What I found was so fresh was the blending of the two art forms. I understood every word, maybe it has to do with your location in this vast world we live in because I have heard slam poetry for some time now; he delivered the meanings and message very well.

-Floyd
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
992 Posts

Profile of Gianni
OK, fair enough. Not only did I not understand the words, I have never even heard of slam poetry. So I guess that the routine was great for people who can speak this language, but unintelligible to those who can't.

Gianni
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Technically a "slam" is the name given to a type of competition where poets and spoken word artists compete against each other. Having not heard of a "slam" is not surprising, as at least in the UK, it's not in mainstream use. What happens at a 'slam' however is as old as the hills. Poetry and spoken word performance is nothing new, and if you have a good understanding of English there is no reason you can't understand it. I've never heard a slam performance that was harder to understand than Shakespeare.

Incidentally, for those in the UK, there's a weekly spoken word show broadcast on BBC Radio 4 every week:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00cms41
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
I don't think you need to be black to understand the routine. I've performed it for white and black audiences and both loved it.

And Davit is right when he says a "slam" is a competition.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
992 Posts

Profile of Gianni
Quote:
On 2009-04-24 11:59, Davit Sicseek wrote:
... if you have a good understanding of English there is no reason you can't understand it. I've never heard a slam performance that was harder to understand than Shakespeare.

So you are saying that if Benji had performed the magic square before that same audience in Elizabethan English, that audience would have understood and enjoyed it. Interesting.

Gianni
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Quote:
On 2009-04-24 12:36, Gianni wrote:
So you are saying that if Benji had performed the magic square before that same audience in Elizabethan English, that audience would have understood and enjoyed it. Interesting.

No.

I'm saying that every performance I've ever heard that's typical of poetry slams has been easier to understand than Shakespeare. I said nothing about enjoyment.

I was making the point that most people with a near native understanding of English have no difficulty getting the gist of Shakespeare's plays on first reading, the implication being that your lack of understanding of this 'easier' content was down to your limited English rather than some sort of impenetrable dialect.

Having said that, your English is far better than any foreign language I can speak, so respects.

Benji - do you have other pieces that you perform with poetry? It would be a great concept for an entire show I think.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2563 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I applaud anyone who brings a new presentation to an effect. Even more so when that effect is an old chestnut that's had ample opportunity to have all manner of differing approaches attatched to it.

That said, no one pleases all the people all of the time.

I'd never heard of the term 'Poetry Slam' but my understanding from the previous posts in this thread is that the 'Slam' refers to a competition and not to the style or content of the poetry. For me this was a style I really didn't have an affinity for. Additionally the way the sentiments and meaning of the poetry were expressed, at least what I could make out, also left me cold.

I've seen and heard John Cooper Clark in performance on many an occassion over the last 20 years and worked in many a comedy club with John Hegley, as well as hearing him on various Rado 4 programs. Both these performers were mentioned in the references I've looked up regarding 'Poetry Slam' and both these performers I've found to be engaging, understandable, entertaining and unpretentious.

These are the qualities that I found missing from this performance.

But I'm just one person with one point of view, so it's no biggie and I sincerely hope he/you has/have success with it.

At least Gianni knows he's not a lone voice.

Neal.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Slam Poetry Magic Square (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL