The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Slam Poetry Magic Square (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Davit I don't have other pieces that are performed with spoken word but I was really considering it. I was mainly considering starting my show with spoken word so by the time I end the show with the square, it will come full circle.
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
I think it's a strong distinctive approach.

Although Sealegs gave a pretty scathing reviews, I agree that spoken word stuff isn't for everyone. Even within the spoken world field there's plenty I don't care for - but plenty I love.

A little idea... I know a lot of spoken word poets have experience in freestyle rap battles. I'm not sure if that's the case with you, but if you are quick with your rhymes (in fact thinking about it, there's plenty of scope for not having to freestyle), there could be a lovely piece where the spectators complete your lines... crude example:

- Conduct the whole presentation in rhyme.
- Have multiple participants
- Get each to think of something different using whatever method you like to get the info.
- Conduct the revelation in rhyme in such a way that you ask them to name whatever they were thinking of, and the word they reveal complete the rhyming couplet proving that you had foresight of their word.

"If we can move on to the next person please, what body part were you thinking of" "Knees"
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
992 Posts

Profile of Gianni
Quote:
On 2009-04-24 14:01, Davit Sicseek wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-04-24 12:36, Gianni wrote:
So you are saying that if Benji had performed the magic square before that same audience in Elizabethan English, that audience would have understood and enjoyed it. Interesting.

No.

I'm saying that every performance I've ever heard that's typical of poetry slams has been easier to understand than Shakespeare. I said nothing about enjoyment.

I was making the point that most people with a near native understanding of English have no difficulty getting the gist of Shakespeare's plays on first reading, the implication being that your lack of understanding of this 'easier' content was down to your limited English rather than some sort of impenetrable dialect.

I think I have been insulted for saying that I could not hear much of what was being said in Benji's performance (you yourself suggested that he have a microphone), and could not understand what I did hear. As a result, I offered a review to Benji on this basis for his consideration. Of course, I later found that Benji's performance was stylized to appeal to a certain rather specific audience.

I will also say to you that I have rather firm credentials surrounding my ability to understand, speak and write the English language, at least the Americanized version of English. I do not warrant your insult about my "limited English" skills. I'd wager a great deal that they meet or exceed yours.

All that being said, I am finished with this thread.

Gianni
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2309 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Whoa!

I happen to like it so I look at like follows:
If you like it, you are correct
If you don't, you are wrong

Now, since I didn't use sarcasm tags, that is sarcasm. Nobody can tell you what you should like or not like. I think a large part of understanding is the desire to understand and if you don't have it, you don't have it.

Everybody's opinion is equal. Except mine, it's superior. Notice the lack of sarcasm tags on that last one... ;-)
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
You said:

Quote:
OK, fair enough. Not only did I not understand the words, I have never even heard of slam poetry. So I guess that the routine was great for people who can speak this language, but unintelligible to those who can't.

What do you mean by this?

Which of the words couldn't you understand? Have you heard of poetry?

My statement was supposed to convey a little insult, I'm glad you picked up on it. You seem to be suggesting that the performance was unintelligible, yet are a self proclaimed expert. The fact is that the performance wasn't very hard to understand when compared with other forms of performance e.g. Shakespeare. You seem to be stuck in an awkward quandary where you can't understand it, but are also an expert in English.

I hope you get it sorted out.
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Quote:
On 2009-04-24 15:40, Davit Sicseek wrote:

A little idea... I know a lot of spoken word poets have experience in freestyle rap battles. I'm not sure if that's the case with you, but if you are quick with your rhymes (in fact thinking about it, there's plenty of scope for not having to freestyle), there could be a lovely piece where the spectators complete your lines... crude example:

- Conduct the whole presentation in rhyme.
- Have multiple participants
- Get each to think of something different using whatever method you like to get the info.
- Conduct the revelation in rhyme in such a way that you ask them to name whatever they were thinking of, and the word they reveal complete the rhyming couplet proving that you had foresight of their word.

"If we can move on to the next person please, what body part were you thinking of" "Knees"

That's an interesting idea. I may try it out but first I have to learn how to freestyle Smile
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11633 Posts

Profile of John C
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

It's a good performance.

It's Benji's GIG with the magic square.

Way to go!

J
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Ron Vergilio
View Profile
Special user
Murrieta, CA
835 Posts

Profile of Ron Vergilio
Very nice Benji...

You might try and turn the board so that it is almost perpendicular to the audience but slightly turned more to facing the them. This way you are standing sideways to the audience. They can still see your face and see what you are writing... (somewhat).

Then rotate the board to fully face the audience and complete the routine.

Great routine you have. made me rethink the magic square.

Ron
May the magic in your life never disappear

*** Lou Serrano's Steel Ball Routine ***
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18346 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I enjoyed a great deal...

mentioning rap/hip hop battles reminded me of the very first rap (alledgedly)album, if you can find it - try "the hustler's convention", its part of Iceberg Slim's book(s) set to some heavy, deep funk (supplied by kool and the gang when they were good) - not always rhyming couplets, but done in a kinda beat poet "hep" style...

its interesting just tracing the meaning of words, what rapping meant originally, and even the word "funk"!

anyway - I would say an entire show done in this style may be a bit too over the top, but I could see an excellent thesaurus based book test working out very well...
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Elite user
Atlanta, GA
496 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic
IAIN
“mentioning rap/hip hop battles reminded me of the very first rap (alledgedly)album, if you can find it - try "the hustler's convention"

I have to big up you British cats. Brits seem to have an appreciation and deeply knowledgeable of all genres of music comprising black music. You brought back a lot memoires with the mention of Iceberg Slim and The Hustler Convention. The Hustler’s Convention was an album by Jalaluddin Mansur Nuriddin , one founding members of The Last Poets.

The Hustler's Convention
http://www.blaxploitationpride.org/2008/......301d516f

Jalal Mansur Nuriddin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jalal_Mansur_Nuriddin

Malik Al Nasir
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malik_Al_Nasir

Peace.
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2009-04-23 14:59, Lemniscate wrote: I would recommend having an html front door as well. Many workplaces have blocks on flash or other issues and cannot access your website because of this. I am one of those people.

The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching. -John Wooden

Like surfing the internet while at work? {;-)
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Reuben, I would never dare speak for the mighty Lem...

But it's worth pointing out that "professionals" can largely do whatever they want when they are at work. The don't clock in and out either.
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2309 Posts

Profile of Chris K
LOL

Sadly, I don't rank a private office, so EVERYBODY sees what I do at work. Luckily, most of the time it is either during lunch (like now), after hours, or during incubations (I work in biotech, so I have a less than standard work schedule, which includes weekends, early mornings, and/or late nights).

I would also like to note that internet surfing at work does not fall into the "no one is watching" category because they see exactly what I do, for how long, each time I log into my computer.

But you skipped the real question:
Can I perform a magic square routine at work using a laboratory based theme?

Why, yes I can. Have I? Why, yes I have. Do I wish I could do it Slam Poetry style? Why, yes I do but I also know it would never work for me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Slam Poetry Magic Square (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL