We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Taking the Edge off of English Pennies (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dan Magyari
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco, CA
173 Posts

Profile of Dan Magyari
I've been working on several routines with English pennies over the years and some of my pennies have hit the streets, so to speak. Does anyone have any suggestions for smoothing out the rough edges that have developed on some of the pennies (without destroying the patina). Any and all thoughts would be much appreciated.

Best.
Dan Magyari
Everything you do -- everything -- has your signature on it. Regardless of whether you intend it that way or not. And that's how people perceive you.-George Ledo
Dan Magyari
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco, CA
173 Posts

Profile of Dan Magyari
O.K.? Either someone is crafting a very careful essay on restoring English pennies or I've stumped the panel.

Let me change the question. How would you make scuffed, chipped and dented English pennies soft?

Best.
Dan Magyari
Everything you do -- everything -- has your signature on it. Regardless of whether you intend it that way or not. And that's how people perceive you.-George Ledo
thimblerig
View Profile
Loyal user
Bellevue, WA
273 Posts

Profile of thimblerig
Dan,
Would try jeweler's rouge or perhaps emery cloth. Could also take them to a jeweler and ask the jeweler to buff them out for you. The aged patina will come back with use after they are buffed up...

Just a thought.
tr
Dan Magyari
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco, CA
173 Posts

Profile of Dan Magyari
Thanks TR, I'll give that a try.

Dan Magyari
gregg webb
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Fine file, small, plus an emery board which is for filing your nails, then steel wool. The other ideas given are good too. My emery cloth is very strong; takes off a lot quickly. Regards, Gregg
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3911 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
I have had that problem with my soft silver coins. I rub a quarter over the dented edge to smooth it out. On a silver coin at least, you can't see anything and it smooths out nicely. Certainly worth a try on a penny.
First edition of Rubinstein Coin Magic sold out in RECORD TIME, and the supplies of the reprint are dwindling fast! The good news, though, is that I am once again going to reprint the book, so there will be enough for everyone!! As such, and for the last time, I will have a supply of books that I can sign. All come with a free gift until supplies are gone, so first come, first serve! To pre-order, be sure to send me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com. books will be here and ready to ship the last week of September!!
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used on the book.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27087 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Is this about the rims or the faces (head/tail) of the coins?

Rims and edges survive smoothing using emery cloth but nicks and gouges in the faces need more care.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1234 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Great point Michael. I am a jeweler. Yes that is called burnishing. Reshaping and smoothing metal using other metal. We usually use tools, but it could be done with a harder coin. Try this with a small screwdriver, just rubbing it on the edge. Similar to a jewelers burnisher. The key is only to strongly rub it on the edge, not the face, where it would scratch it.
bassinator
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
61 Posts

Profile of bassinator
I've been wondering the same thing for one of my silver coins. I will certainly try Dr. Rubinstein's and countrymaven's suggestions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Taking the Edge off of English Pennies (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL