We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to shop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Rover
View Profile
New user
Arizona
49 Posts

Profile of Rover
Looks like we've been to the same shop Alex!

I'll stick with internet distributors.

The local shop tried to sell my brother a Brainwave deck for $13.00. Had I not been there, he would have gone for it.
He is a novice and didn't know any better.
It was my first and last time in that shop.

Quote:
On 2003-06-03 21:28, Alex W. wrote:
Quick run-down of prices at my local magic shop:

1 Pack of normal Bikes - $5
1 Pack of nearly any gimmicked deck - $13
1 Video - $50
1 DVD - $55

The Magic of Michael Ammar set me back $65.

I call that "marking prices up just a wee bit too much."

FZandura
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
247 Posts

Profile of FZandura
Good thing I already have a Brainwave Deck, I just checked my local shop tonight. $19.99 + CA Sales tax. They must be counting on people walking off the street that see a magic shop, and figure they'll buy their kid a trick. They couldn't possible expect to sell decks at that price to anyone in the know.

Smile
F. Zandura
Sean
View Profile
Loyal user
No Cal
201 Posts

Profile of Sean
Two other advantages of bricks and mortar over the Internet:

1. They give visiting magicians a place to lecture.
2. They offer magic classes for neophytes.
Shadow Dancer
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
61 Posts

Profile of Shadow Dancer
Try both, see how it goes at a real magic shop, then see if you can get something you like over the net (allways from a trusty source). See which one you prefer. I prefer Brick and Mortar because i know the people and they can tell me if the book is good or not and what they think about it.
Cheers Smile
'The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.'
<br> AlbertEinstein
m.ruetz
View Profile
Veteran user
Peoria Arizona, USA
378 Posts

Profile of m.ruetz
The trouble is that in all the cases where you see the high prices at the local magic shop, they are probably still having trouble making a profit. When you think of how much they must sell in order to cover their rent, phone, taxes etc. it is a tough business.
MagicGizmo: Magic Articles, Classifieds, Videos, and more
http://magicgizmo.com
Michaels
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Michaels
Quote:
On 2003-06-06 10:19, m.ruetz wrote:
The trouble is that in all the cases where you see the high prices at the local magic shop, they are probably still having trouble making a profit. When you think of how much they must sell in order to cover their rent, phone, taxes etc. it is a tough business.

True, but the question is why are they having trouble making a profit if their prices are high? I believe the answer is in the question.
Three things are needed for a successful business besides demand for the product.
1) Location, Location, Location- which includes presence on the internet for businesses like magic.
2) Good Service- self explanatory
3) Reasonable prices- Maybe this is the reason why the high priced shops can't pay their bills. Unreasonable prices drive away customers, therefore less sales.

I will always remain loyal to the local bricks and mortar as long as the service is there and the prices are reasonable.

As far as what is considered reasonable? That's a subjective determination in each purchasers mind.
Personally, I don't know anyone who has ever paid over a cars MSRP, so why should they pay 20-25% above publishers prices on books. I'm not that loyal to the local bricks and mortar. I've read thread after thread on our need to be loyal to our local shops. What about our local shops treating us with some loyalty? Because of the internet they are no longer the only "game in town".
Just my thoughts,
Michaels
"Our technology is ahead of our humanity"
Albert Einstein
Rover
View Profile
New user
Arizona
49 Posts

Profile of Rover
The shops I have dealt with have had such sporadic hours that I simply could not fit it into my schedule to stop in when they were open. I can use the internet and place an order 24/7. Not to mention the price difference.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
To you folks in New Jersey:

Where is your local bricks and mortar magic shop?

I used to drive for about 45 minutes (each way) to get to Mecca Magic, but it has closed down. I don't know of any others within a reasonable distance. Any suggestions?

0pus
Ojasa
View Profile
New user
U.S.
77 Posts

Profile of Ojasa
Something I would suggest is take the internet adds in...

It is very rare that a shop won't match the price rather than lose the sale...

Make sure to bring the shipping info also..

Smile
Ojasa
that magic is an art, and an art worth your learning. The question is rather, whether you be capable of learning it? Magic is somewhat like poetry, men are to be born so: I mean, with inclinations to it, though both may be heightened by discourse and prac
kaitou
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of kaitou
I'm in NYC, so our local shop is Tannens. Generaly prices there are fairly high. ie
pack of bikes - 3.00 (standard, but they can't charge more, every pharmacy around here carries them for the same)
gimmicked decks: 15
DVD's: 35
Recently I purchased Color Monte there for $9.99, and it's availiable on the net for 3.95 at Penguin's, and that's with no tax (8.6% NYC sales tax) and no shipping.
I do buy things whenever I am there, as a lot of magicians tend to hang out at tannens, but I mainly stick to things like magazines, and stuff on sale.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8696 Posts

Profile of harris
U.S. Toys Magic Division (the largest that I know of in floor space) has great hours and a large selection.

Their prices vary on what the item is.

As far as cards you might want to check out Wal-Mart for a few packs or things like Cost -Co for cases.

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Eric Rose
View Profile
Regular user
Franklin, IN
160 Posts

Profile of Eric Rose
I am firmly into the brick and mortar scene - I used to be a demo man at a shop in Indianapolis way too long ago. I still occasionally demo for a friend. Here's a couple hints for those that are intimidated by going into a shop:

1. Be honest. Don't pretend you know much more or can do much more than you can. We can spot that a million miles away and it closes down the relationship. Everyone started somewhere, don't be ashamed to say you don't know something.

2. Ask for suggestions. As long as you have a reputable dealer, they will tell you if something is junk.

3. Use the telephone and call a bricks and mortar shop if you don't have one nearby. Two that consistently give good phone service are Denny & Lee's in Maryland and Funtyme Magic in Nashville Indiana. If they know you are serious, you can get great service that's almost as good as being there.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to shop (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL