The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What makes magic an artform? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Michaels
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Michaels
Quote:
On 2003-05-28 10:10, Spider wrote:
I would have to disagree with London, above. Art is not in the eye of the beholder, nor is it in the eye of the creator. TASTE is in the eye of the beholder and the creator. You are perfectly free to like, or dislike, whatever you want. However, it is extremely conceited to call something art simply because you like it, or simply because you created it. If that were so, then anything that was ever created would be art, because somebody likes it.

Art touches the human emotions. Art communicates emotion from the artists to the perceiver. Regular exposure to QUALITY art makes one into a more sensitive person, able to better perceive and understand the emotions in other people.................

Spider makes some very good points. As a matter of fact some may consider his writing an artform whereas others may see it as esoteric BS. Don't get me wrong! In no way am I putting down his opinion. I'm truly trying to show that art is in the eyes of the beholder. The original post does not ask what makes magic a quality artform or a magician a quality magician....It simply asks, what makes magic an artform.

I fail to see how one can be considered conceited because they like a piece of "art" or because they created the art. To brag about what you like or created would be conceited.

I find it presumptuous and offensive to assume that those exposed to "quality art" are more sensitive to other people's emotions. Sensitivity is partially innate as well as a learned behavior whether it be by artful communication skills or from your parents and surroundings. Many of my "quality art" loving patients are some of the least sensitive people I know. Conversly, many of my patients who have never been exposed to "quality art" are very sensitive.

The creator is also the beholder. Many artists are their own best critics. A creator whether good or bad must have confidence that their creation is an art otherwise they will never strive to expand or improve.

Cooking is an art. How many 4-5***** restaurants has someone walked into and left stating the food was overrated. Once again proving art is in the eyes of the beholder.

When my son draws a picture it's my most cherished art. Do I discourage him because it may not be quality art (even for his age). I think not.

Spider I truly respect and agree with much of what you wrote, however by definition magic is an art. Just not every magician is a quality artist.
Just my thoughts!
Top of the day,
Michaels
"Our technology is ahead of our humanity"
Albert Einstein
Socrates
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Socrates
Anything that allows you to express your own creativity is an artform and magic is one of the most enjoyable for many people.

Socrates
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Spider has certainly illuminated one aspect of the art of magic. If it doesn't touch you emotionally, it doesn't reach the level of high art. Here's another point:

Regarding magicians as artists, David Devant wrote in Our Magic that the true merit "lies in the originality they display, and the perfection with which they simulate the operation of supernatural influences."

The key words here are "originality" and "perfection." Everyone I consider an artist in magic displays both. Think of Rene Lavand, an artist in every sense. Originality and perfection in both technique and performance.
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Leon of PrimRose
View Profile
New user
mayfield, new york
69 Posts

Profile of Leon of PrimRose
Magic takes skill, and like any other form of art it also takes time to get it right. Smile Smile
Being forgotten is worse than death

There was never anything but life...life and death...Good...Evil...It all depends on how you look at life... and death. The strong, the weak. It's all just a concept.

Believe the unbe
Ignore me...
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Ignore me...
Hmmm…

I had always thought of art as "perceived intent," aside from whether one thought it had beauty or not.

For example, many may thrill to birdsong, or hear music in natural sounds. Some may thrill to a beautiful sunrise, and follow the beauty to the idea that some entity created said sunrise.

Just because I'm not a fan of Keene paintings doesn't mean that it's not art, just that big eyes don't appeal to me.

Art is in the perception of the beholder.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
"It ain't art until it's got heart."

Smile
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Time spent.
Experience, study and practice.
That is what separates a magician from a person that does tricks.
And in my opinion all magicians are performing artists.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What makes magic an artform? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL