The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Use of Fables (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
A true account -- a bit long, but worth it.

I was quite involved for a while in Medieval Recreation events (SCA). A broken back belayed whacking on heads with sticks, and many of the finer arts were expensive and intensive pursuits. So, I would stroll from camp to household like a Trevere’ of old, telling stories, a bit of song and a touch of magic. As a result I was occasionally close to Royalty far beyond my station – an honored guest with the ear of the Prince because I could pluck a coin from his nose. A new Prince. A new opportunity. I was always prepared to perform – more than a Court Jester, less than a Viser.

I had a collection of “period” stories to tell and looked for ways to throw in a bit of magic in my imagined recreation of 12th Century Court. One was an Aesop Fable:

A FATHER, being on the point of death, wished to be sure that his sons
would give the same attention to his farm as he himself had given it.
He called them to his bedside and said,
"My sons, there is a great treasure hid in one of my vineyards."
The sons, after his death, took their spades and mattocks
and carefully dug over every portion of their land.
They found no treasure, but the vines repaid their labor
by an extraordinary and superabundant crop.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

I embellished this a bit with a pouch of coins that appeared for nowhere only to vanish as gifts to the poor, leaving an empty purse. I produced a short sword to represent Knighthood and a Medallion for service, and three colored silks to represent the sons. I used a version of Chinese Rice Bowls with flower pots to illustrate lessons to his sons. The silks became joined when the father passed on – his presence a silver egg that vanished after ascending beneath his multi-colored scarf. Finally, when the sons ‘burrowed’ in the empty pouch a shower of flowers poured out. It was fun!

Then, with the full attention of the Court and gathered guests. I told another story.

“Since ancient times the citizens of distant Moravia have elected their King, and a new ruler might be chosen from another land. In 1257 a noble named Renfold came to Moravia from Bohemia to serve, but knew few of the subjects who had made him King. He puzzled over how to best know the wishes and problems of his subjects. A traveling storyteller gave him an idea. Renfold announced that he had learned that one of his subjects had a secret of great importance to the future of Moravia, but that this man did not realize the importance of his treasure. So, the King asked that each subject come to him and whisper that which he believed to be the most important idea for the well-being of all the Kingdom. A great Faire was held with days of revelry and feasting for this questing to be fulfilled. Renfold learned first hand much of value and made many friends – selecting some to serve on his council. He also learned of enemies and some who thought to use him to their own ends. Forewarned he made friends of these also and earned their trust, and there was peace in the land – and the sons of Renfold ruled for more than one hundred years.”

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Prince Ragnar took this story to heart and made a point of wandering into camps, household suppers and campfires unannounced and without entourage save his consort. At Court he always called a few strangers forth to speak to him and read all messages sent his way – and there was peace and joy in that pretend Kingdom for a year.

and that’s the magic of it.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Use of Fables (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL