The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Story Sample (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
This is a story I wrote based on an old theme when I first joined SCA.
Two years later I told the story combined with magical effects for emphasis and entertainment (not a contest). I performed 12 Effects during the telling without interupting the presentation flow -- the Effects just visual aids. Which ones don't matter -- consider what favorite effect you would untilize.

Black and White

While Thrasa had many sons she had only one daughter, the graceful Giselda, nicknamed Idawas because of her headstrong nature. She had many aspiring suitors but also enjoyed the protection of her brothers during the absence of Aldebern, now a General in Charlamagne's army. One unknown suitor was Gariwald, son of Prince Eberwolf of Bohemia across the Odra River to the east.
It happens that Thrasa and the Prince were at odds over the price of the just delivered flour. Within the Duchy of Sachen the going miller fee was one part in five. The Prince claimed that one part in six was standard in the eastern lands, and that Aldic had agreed to this price. Thrasa knew that the good Baron would never have readily agreed to such a fee, but also knew he might have failed to negotiate the best deal, such being his trusting nature. For Thrasa, the actual price was not as important as not being bested by the Prince in a trade, such being her nature. So they haggled good naturedly back and forth while Gariwald made puppy eyes at Giselda across the room.

At length the Prince said, "I propose a wager to settle this matter. I will offer you a fair and equal chance, a hidden choice guided by providence and luck. If you win you can have your one in five and a contract for all my milling needs for two years. If thee should lose, however, then one in six is our new fee - and (he paused) you will accept the betrothal of my Gariwald to Giselda!"
This proposal was unexpected and surprising. While the joining of their two lands would have
certain advantages she would henceforth have to deal with the Prince on a regular basis and did not trust his greed and ambitions. On the other hand, the tractable Giselda, while beauteous, might not have a better opportunity. Still, she rebelled against such a planned and connived marriage.
"The stakes hardly seem balanced, my Lord," she replied. "Gariwald hardly seems an ideal husband if he needs you to speak for him, or should I say - manage? So I will accept this wager on the additional consideration that should I win, you will assign your son to our court as squire for a year. He can learn arms and tactics from Aldebern and manners and independence from me. At any rate, he will be out from under thumb for a time and might grow into a man! Besides which, he will be able to spend time with Giselda and perhaps nature can provide what you would do by guile. I cannot commit my daughter, a Princess in own right, to a marriage against her will. However, if I should lose this silly wager, I commit to support his cast as suitor and help sell his qualities and advantages above all others."
The Prince stood erect and obviously bristled at the challenge. He was not accustomed to being spoke to thusly, and certainly not by a woman with the effrontery to wear a sword in his presence. So he said to the nobles present rather than to her, "Well met, my Lady. I will grant that this horse-trading be entertainment for my guests and thereby beyond petty personality. Here then is the wager." He produced two small velvet purses, one red and the other blue. He bent down and gathered two stones from the pathway beneath their feet, one being white and the other black. He continued, "Behind my back at random choice, I will place a stone in each bag and draw the strings. Neither of us will know which contains the color of choice, back or white, red or blue. Upon your selection we will see the result. If thee choose the white stone then you will win the wager and with it the fee and service of my son. If thee choose black, then the better price is mine and we will discuss the marriage plans." So saying, he played around behind his back and held forth the two purses.
Now Thrasa could not back out of the wager in front of the gathered nobles but trusted the Prince not at all. Instinct told her that he had somehow manipulated the stones and that there was now a treacherous black stone in each. No matter how she chose she would lose! Then, in fierce defiance, she grabbed the red bag and pulled it open. In her haste she dumped the contents upon the ground where it mixed with the other black and white stones. "Dear me!" She exclaimed, how clumsy. But it is of no matter. We can all examine the contents of your purse, my Prince, and discover the treasure in holds. Be it white then my stone must have been black. Be it black, then surely mine must have been white."
The prince stood quietly with slightly furrowed brow and, if truth be known, slightly pinkish ears. Presently he laughed a boisterous call and bowed low. He handed her the blue purse and said, "Twas a test, my fair warrior. I am soon to receive a shipment of silk and treasures from the far east and am in need of an agent to sell these wares in the lands of Sachen. I would give thee your one in five on these goods and your flour if you would accept. We will let the stone guide Gariwald's fate if we must."
"So shall it be my Lord," she committed. But someone will have to guard this shipment to my gates and I suggest that Gariwald be spared for the task. He can spend a fortnight and, by your leave, choose for himself to enter training for a year, and a marriage might yet be in the offing." She held up her palm where all could see the knife scar there. "Some contracts are sealed in blood. Others by the words of two men. But in our situation, my Lord, I would suggest that you call forth a scribe whereby our contract can be put down - in black and white!"
So it came to be in pledge and honor and the blue pouch hangs on Thrasa's wall as a symbol, unopened to this day!
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
I personally enjoy a nice story like yours but sometimes it is difficult to maintain the attention of the audience for anything other than a short story unless something visual is happening all the time.
Stefan
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Stefan
I have spoken elsewhere about audience expectation. Did they come to see a magician or a storyteller? Speaking of shows in general - how was it sold or promoted? I have been to some great gatherings of all storytelling - no magic. But everyone there knew and expected what they were coming to. If selling a magic show, the stories will need to reasonably shorter. You can be a storyteller but must promote as a storyteller, magical storyteller or storyteller, where strange things happen.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
"but must" -- nay

If I am called to tell a story and think a bit of conjuring will enhance the performance I weave it in. If I am called to do some conjuring and thing a story will get the audiences attention, I'll weave it it. I might also whistle or sing.
If I am teaching class of 6th graders and think that either magic or a story will support their attention or retention, I'll do it. I have no obligation to tell people in advance what I will do -- I respond to the needs of the moment.

I guess if one is selling tickets for a performance the audience has some right to know what is afoot -- not sure, maybe the are happy to be entertained in some memorable way. I guess that is why I never charge for a show -- don't like the concept of "must."

I offered a story the 'worked'! Will I ever tell it again like that, with those same effects thrown in? -- probably not. In the right circumstance I might even tell a longer story -- or never say a word. I'll have to be there to know.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
I like your story, with the correct balance between effects and story it must be very pleasant to follow.
People come to have a nice and entertaining evening, THEY will call you a magician if you deserve it. Audience expectation is simple: they don't want to lose their time with low level entertainment; surprise them.

It has nothing to do with tricks...
KENNYRB
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of KENNYRB
The truth is that whatever we do must be entertaining. Today's audience generaly wants a faster paced show. Many old school performers use "patter" that is way to long. I have also heard older performers recite poetry with an effect and it was considered to be "classic magic". A magician can be a magician with whatever approach he wants and if the audience likes it then it works.
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
As a bizarrist, my goal in developing a story is to have something magical or surprising happen every 2 or 3 minutes. I cannot always meet that goal, but when I cannot, I make a strong effort to have a story that holds the audience's interest.

One factor is to have really interesting looking props. The audience will want to see what you do with those props.

Another factor is to have a good voice and style for storytelling.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Story Sample (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL