The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » After my 13th step... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of WDavis
Hi guys, just looking for a bit of advice on where to go next.
first a little bit about me. early 30s work in finance and the crowd I perform for will be professionals (mostly colleagues, doctors (therapists included), lawers, and engineers). mostly the "stage" would be either at a persons home or the local pub. the audience size is 10 people at most with a mean average of 3-4.

I have found I tend to gravitate towards mentalism and money magic. I am not fond of too much patter. in real life I don't talk that much unless I am explaining my work. in money magic I find I prefer a highly visual with little talking on my part, while in mentalism, I don't mind the patter but I prefer a minimalistic approach, I feel that since it "appears" that not much is being said on my behalf therefore I am not leading them to the choice, the revelation comes off as even harder hitting.

what I've read:
13 steps to mentalism by corinda.
Pyschological Subtleties 2 by banachek
quite a few books on psychology, NLP, and body language (my sister is a clinical therapist and I raided her personal library)
JB Bobo's Modern Coin Magic book/dvd set
I also use do Silver Dream by Justin Miller with quarters and no smoke.

I read an interview with max maven, if I remember correctly.where he said his material has led him to more of a conversational style with people. I think that would define my style very much.

I have to admit I haven't read his works yet. I've read through PS2 and patrick kuffs material peeked my interest.

in a nutshell, what books/videos/material should I pursue based off of my experience so far? one disclaimer though, I want to stay away from mentalism that uses cards of any kind esp or playing.

I appreciate your responses.
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
Any thing by richard Osterlind. Also PS1 by Banachek is A great read if you have PS2 allready. I think you will find a lot of great effects and performing tips from what Richard has to offer.
Twitter @darjames
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
Step 14.. Paul Brook. Simple Smile

Col.
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
You have material enough to fill your cup, Isi. Your next step (if you are serious about entertaining as a performer) is to create and script a complete act, rehearse it thoroughly and then begin fieldtesting it.

If at all possible, find an experienced advisor you can trust to give solid, honest advice about your act and the message it gives to your guests. I'm talking about someone who will need to function well in the role of director or consultant.

Whether you plan to perform in homes, in bars, one-on-one or on stage, taking this path will surely help you reach your goal.

Good luck.

Regards,
Mick Ayres
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
My first thought when I read this was then stick to coins. Mentalism is all about the talking. I'd be hard pressed to think of a couple of good mentalism effects you could do in silence.

Now if you can come from your conversational style then that will work. I tend not to do too much intricate story telling. My stuff is about me or something that happened to me or some general quirky thing I've found.

Good luck in your quest.

greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
r1238ex
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of r1238ex
Annemann's works.
WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of WDavis
Thanks for the replies guys.

Darin: not familiar with osterlands works, will look into that plus I'll pick up the ps1 book thanks.

Colin: I don't know who Paul Brooks is. will google for info thanks for the tip.

Mick: I liked your comment about scripting out a routine and rehearsing it. I will work on that and post it hear for everyone's critique. now to find an advisor locally. *anyone know someone in San Diego?*

Greg: my modus operandi is similar to yours then where I will mention about something generally quirky I've found but using my communication style I tend to tie it back to what the other people have said. I generally get people to speak more then I do when I operate. then interweave what they've told me into my presentations as my bullets to hit them home with.

r1238ex: I've glanced at anneman's works but left it early for corinda's I'll look at it again thanks for the reminder.

I appreciate all of your imputs.
cheers,
isid0re
jaymeswhite
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of jaymeswhite
I would say richard osterlind
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
I don't think PS1 is a good choice. I don't think either of the PS books are worth having as one of your first books.

Paul Brook's The Gift is a great book, but since you are performing socially, presumably often with the same people the use of pre-show will be problematic, so again - not a good choice imo.

What effects do you perform from the material you've already got?
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
daghank
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of daghank
I would buy Richard Osterlind's mind mysteries set,that one gave me a lot inspiration and help
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Bob Cassidy would also be a good place to start.

An excellent primer-DVD would be Cassidy's "Mental Miracles".

I personally prefer Cassidy/Osterlind/Biss simply because their performance style, as well as the effects they do look "home-made", i.e., pencils, paper, and, a wallet are generally what one sees. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I've had a soft spot for Cassidys' DVD as it was one of the first purchases I made, I used three of the routines as part of a performance audition for the Coventry England Magic Circle, Chronologue, 4th Dem. Telepathy, and the Card Memorization effect.

I would also strongly suggest you return to Annemann, his material is still being used to great effect, as witnessed with the Osterlind DVD sets, and can help you build upon the 13 Step foundation that you have built.

I don't how you're going to build an act with minimal dialogue.

IMO, mentalism is 95% personna, and interaction with the audience, with the remainder being the technique. Unless you could work out a set around metal bending, spoons, forks, spikes.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » After my 13th step... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL