The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » My first Fakinis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
I just received my first set of billiard balls and I'm super excited. I got a set of 2" white Fakinis with a s****.

I ordered Jeff McBride's World Class Manipulation Vol. 1, and I'll definitely get Levent's billiard ball DVD when it comes out. However, while I'm waiting for the McBride DVD to arrive, I'm wondering if anyone can share some moves to get me started.

What are the first moves to work on? Can anyone link me to a free tutorial or pdf basic billiard ball moves?

Thanks in advance. (Mostly just wanted to share my excitement about the arrival of a much anticipated prop.) : )

-Daniel
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I would just work on learning to keep the balls between your fingers. Also, work on 1 ball finger roll exercises.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13419 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Also check out jay leslie's DVD. It's cheap and has ball and silks moves which are quite nice.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Horror story:

Having owned my 2" Fakini set for less than 24hours, I was walking across a busy urban intersection when the top fell off the tube and my balls and s**** fell out and went bouncing merrily off in every direction.

I rounded up 2 and the s**** pretty quickly and looked around for the third. I spotted it about 40 yards away hopping along the gutter towards a drain. I sprinted through traffic in time to see it take its final bounce on the pavement before hitting the grate -- which is full of holes that would easily admit a two inch ball.

Happy ending...
Amazingly, it bounced twice on the grate and I was able to scoop it up before it went down the sewer.

A quick rinse in the sink, and the balls are good as new. I, on the other hand, am still recovering.

-Daniel
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Get Geoffrey Buckinham's book on Billiard Ball manipulation. It's the Bible.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Pete, is that, "It's Easier Than You Think?"
mleskanic
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of mleskanic
That must have been scary... That's good that you found them all
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
Easier Than You Think is an excellent source.

Daniel,

I think everyone has been there. I was backstage at the MAES convention this year and asked my wife to pass me my tube of Fakinis. The cap came off and the rest is history. Anyway, I now use a piece of electrical tape on top and bottom. Easy to peel off when needed and keeps its stick for a long time.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Here are a couple of other classic books that offer excellent tutorials on BB manipulation, particularly in connection with a sh***-less routine:

"Spherical Sorcery & Recollections of a Pro" by Maurice Rooklyn

"Principles & Deceptions" by Arthur Buckley

Also, I strong suggest studying the BB routine in "Benson by Starlight" and/or "The Magic of Alan Wakeling". Either will give you a good understanding of why many folks believe a two-handed routine is far more magical.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13419 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Al Leech has a GREAT booklet on billiard balls. I forget the name tho.
Lessons in Sidearm Snookery too, if you can find it.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Quote:
On 2009-04-29 22:24, Peter Pitchford wrote:
Easier Than You Think is an excellent source.

Daniel,

I think everyone has been there. I was backstage at the MAES convention this year and asked my wife to pass me my tube of Fakinis. The cap came off and the rest is history. Anyway, I now use a piece of electrical tape on top and bottom. Easy to peel off when needed and keeps its stick for a long time.

Good tip by Peter!

I can't tell you how many times that has happened to me. The worst is when a 2 1/4 inch ball hits a hard floor with a shell on it and dents the shell!!

By the way, I always travel by air with my billiards in my carry on bag in the Fakini tubes. I like the fact that Fakini's big labels make them look clearly like a commercial product. And as a result I never have a problem with the TSA security at the airport.

Levent in Vancouver
http://www.LeventMagic.com
carbone1853
View Profile
Loyal user
RI USA
240 Posts

Profile of carbone1853
I cut a small hole in the top lid. This lets the air out when you put the lid on. \
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1886 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Other billiard ball material worth looking for include Maurice Rooklyn's _Spherical Sorcery and Recollections of a Pro_ Geffrey Buckingham's _It's Easier Than You Think_ is also a classic--and Arthur Buckley's _Principles and Deceptions_, although they may be difficult to get ahold of since they're out of print. Buckley's book was reprinted by the Gambler's Book Club but when I just checked, they were out of stock. L&L has transferred Geoffrey Buckingham's videos to DVD, but as Pete Biro said, the Buckingham book is pretty much a Bible of billiard ball manipulation. As I recall, Geoff did a lecture tour back in the 70's and sold paperback reprints. adaptations/excerpts of his book.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
m-x-magic
View Profile
New user
Finland
12 Posts

Profile of m-x-magic
Hello!

I've should buy It's easier than you think -book a long time ago, but I've been lazy... Smile however, now I have decided to buy it.

Where from I can buy it? There are many stores that buy it in three peaces, but I don't know if it's better to buy the original version?

Could someone tell me a good store to order it, and, if possible the store could be in Europe?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22800 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Check with Magic Inc. in Chicago, they are the publishers of 'It's Easier Then You Think', I don't know if the new owners are keeping up with the inventory. Email them, you usually have to email them a number of times for them to respond.
L Trunk
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
207 Posts

Profile of L Trunk
I bought "It's Easier Than You Think" from Midwest Magic (midwestmagic.net) earlier this year. They are US based though. Great service.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Get (if you can because it's pretty rare)
Zum Pocco: Encyclopedie des boules de billard. It's by far the most complete work on the balls in any occidental language. You could see what is of interest to you from the very numerous photographs and translate these with Google translate.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
pintirri
View Profile
New user
Perth, Western Australia
29 Posts

Profile of pintirri
You can buy an electronic version of "Principles and Deceptions" by Arthur Buckley from http://www.lybrary.com for $7.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » My first Fakinis (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL