The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » If you could start over... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
I love watching dove/bird productions as I think it really elevates any routine to a new level. However, raising doves is not practical for me.

Also, it sounds like performing with doves or any animal is becoming increasingly problematic due to allergy concerns, animal rights, etc.

If I wanted to add an animal for birthday parties and stage shows, what would be your recommendation and why?

Thanks,
Daniel

P.S. I have two cats and a smallish condo.
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Well... for a start, you could use your cats! First of all you're going to stand out...Second you already know your cats well. So you'll know what would work and what won't!
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Dan, I use rabbits. I love rabbits and could hardly imagine them not being a part of my show. I favor Netherland Dwarf bucks, and I have owned 7 of them throughout my magic career. I currently have2, both Himilayan. My main show bunny is getting old, so I recently bought another. I am dreading the day when my main bunny passes, because he has been far and away the best magic show bunny I have had.

I also bought a Smoke Pearl Marten, which is a grayish color, with a white belly and darker, smoke-gray accents at his ears, nose, tail and feet. He matched my Run Rabbit Run prop really well, so I used him exclusively for that routine. When I turned the flat, wooden bunny into a real one, the match was near-perfect and it went over well. He passed away last year, and I was really saddened.

I love bunnies, and I keep mine in outdoor hutches. They are not too much trouble or expensive to keep...for me anyway. They make great pets too, and they are very cudly and cute.

I have always wanted to use doves also, and someday I would still like to get some. Doves might be more trouble for me because of the climate around my area. I am hoping to build an outdoor aviary someday, and also have a place to move them indoors in the severe cold.

Good luck, with whatever you choose. For some using live animals is not worth the trouble, but for me it certainly is. Audiences love bunnies as much as I do! Remember to do some research and preparation before you go out and buy a live animal. Plan on buying a pet, not an animal for your magic shows. If you're like me, you will develop a close bond with these wonderful magic assistants!

Regan
Mister Mystery
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
Hey Daniel,
I totally agree with Regan. Rabbits make such a hit with birthday parties that you can't help but get referrals.....
Parrots & Doves are another story.....parrots are very very noisy and doves almost never get quiet....
Rabbits..you can hardly hear them...I used to have 5 dwarf bunnies, 2 sets of identical bunnies for switches and one definite chocolate standout for other effects....had to stay outside, males let you know from a half a block away they just went to the bathroom...great actors though..
Bill
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
And I would still use snakes - they make no noise, rarely poop in your props, like small spaces, and are something a little different. And, they eat rabbits Smile

By the way, I use corn snakes and ball pythons.

Chad
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Along the same lines as Chad, I am working on working with my bearded dragons. They are a medium size lizard that grows to an average lenght of 18-20 inches, although they can reach 24. My smallest one is 18, the middle sized one is 20 and the biggest one is 24.

They are very docile, don't spook easily and will tolerate handling by strangers most of the time. They are fairly easy to care for once you know the basics, and most people are not affraid of them. My wife and I have taken ours out in public on numerous occasions and most often are met with curiosity. This has led our lizards to be very sociable with people (although they are still territorial and agressive to each other, hence the need for separate tanks). Plus, they are hypo allergenic, so no need to worry about alleriges.

The cool darkness of load chambers puts them at ease. They are not as compact as a dove, so many props built for doves have to be reworked a bit to accomodate them, but they are great animals who can live up to 10-20 years with proper care.

Here are a few photos of our boys:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/mik......-2-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v633/S......ard2.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/mik......s004.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/mikesdad/63561716.jpg
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
lozey
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
381 Posts

Profile of lozey
Chad and Drew its great to hear of some 'alternative' magic pets. I once thought about using my corn/rat cross snake in a dovepan, but thought he might get too cold Smile I no longer have him but now have 2 bearded dragons so its a thought to consider..........
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
I too have a bearded dragon but it's my wife and I have never used it in a show. I prefer the snakes! A cornsnake and a dove pan works great together in my experience. Also, I have used giant millipedes, hissing cockroaches, tarantula's and scorpions on a regular basis. All get a great response!

Chad
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
The rabbit is what most laymen are fond of. They are easy to train to stay still during their appearance. The only problem is smelling the urine at home. It takes cleaning the cage daily to have no smell. Some rabbits require a lot of hair brushing.

A strong substitute next to the rabbit is a chinchilla. It takes a few shows to train them to stay on the stand and not jump off. But they are odorless. A lot of people would love to touch the chinchilla after the show, but they will nip a person's hand because of fear. No brushing is needed for a chinchilla. A chinchilla does not even require a water bath because it will kill them. A dust bath is what's needed to keep their skin dry. Here is a video of a chinchilla taking a dust bath: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7o3o5K14Zk&feature=related

Guinea pigs are nice safe pets too. They will please an audience with ease. The are smaller than rabbits, but are still easy for an audience to see on stage. They are very nervous, and will turn their back on an audience. Their home cages require just as much cleaning as a rabbit.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » If you could start over... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL