The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Wild Coin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ferraroj
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of ferraroj
In David Roth's wild coin, has anyone developed a way to hide what is going into the cup so that this effect can be done at a table where people are along side you as well as in front of you?
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Check out Michael Rubinstein's Twilight Zone found in Knock out coin magic.
Bernard Sim
wizbob
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
15 Posts

Profile of wizbob
If people are really close to you that they can see into your cup , just use a deeper cup that they cant see into unless they are standing right over top of it.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
My solution was to get rid of the cup. See my book "Deceptions in Paradise / The Professional Close Up of Curtis Kam" by Jerry Mentzer. The routine is called "Wild Pocket" because as the coins change, you pocket them.

Of course, this eliminates the "surprise" ending of the instant change back. But I think you can tell from the " " that at least when I did the original routine, the audience wasn't really surprised. In fact, one (extremely lay) person told me "Well now I'm disappointed, it kind of gives the whole thing away" Smile

If you've had similar reactions, you'd join me in the quest for other endings. These days, I know of three:

1. Pocket the coins as they change.
2. Cause the coins to change a third time, usually to "chinese" coins. (note the use of " " again) See later works of Roth, Futagawa, Brewer, Townsend, Neighbors, et. al.
3. Do the whole thing standing, at your fingertips, including the change back. See Roth's EG handling, or my Beijing Coins across (and most of the routines on Palms of Steel 2)

Or, to solve just the sight line problem, you can just do what David Roth suggested later, and use a coin purse instead of a cup.

Does anyone agree with my Anticlimax theory, or is it flame time?
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Jason Wethington
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, Fl
615 Posts

Profile of Jason Wethington
I totally agree with your theory Curtis. In fact the original wild coin routine I came up with does that very thing. The coins only change once. Later on I came up with a purse switch and changed them a third time. I use the third coin change as a way to get into another effect not as an effect by itself. I call this my "History lesson routine" as the coins keep getting older and older. American then British then Chinese. A great routine is one by Mike Gallo. Where the coins change three times but are left on the table. I forget the name but it is a stunning piece of magic.
Well I am off to see "Matrix Reloaded"!
Jason
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Whoooheeeee. I just saw it last night. Kind of makes your mind drift away from coins changing...
Sorry guys. Awesome movie.

I liked Doug Brewer's version of the wild coin-plot a lot. Nifty method!
Also the description of Dan Watkins King Midas Spellbound from his booklet will only be truely appreciated when you see his clip. I know it is not a literal wildcoin but the effect on the spectators should be similar.
Even though I read the method I had no idea what I was seeing.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I suggest doing the large switch earlier and doing the changes 'out from' the cup or purse or whatever. Doing the routine 'in to' the cup takes some strong motivation. Taking the coins out of a purse to demonstrate something is far less 'hokey'. The standup version of a change sequence done out of a purse was around since 84 and a lecture item in 85.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ferraroj
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of ferraroj
I haven’t found the ending to be anti-climatic but I can see how it could be. This goes along with the too prefect theory. However, the patter I’ve worked out for this routine makes it natural for the coins to turn back to silver.

The ideas of using your pockets work, if as stated, your not going to turn the coins back again. I like the idea of using a tall cup, I just need to go out a find something that looks nice.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
If you're just looking for height, consider using a stemmed metal chalice, or goblet. (Of course, I have a few ideas of better ways to use this prop.......)

If you want depth, try a chromed cocktail shaker. Just a warning though: at that point, people might expect you to produce something big. Smile
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Nathan Kranzo showed a very nice wild coin routine at the LVMI last year. It's done at the fingertips at chest height. (I guess this is now dubbed Three Fly Position.)

As each of the three silver coins changes to a copper, the copper is put away in the pocket.

I think the effect is on Nathan Kranzo's CD.

Cheers,
Jerry
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
On Mr. Kranzo's latest DVD he has an effect where the coins visually change into different coins as a spectator pours them out of a cup. This might be a good kicker to this plot but, I don't have this DVD so maybe someone else can comment on it. Mr. Kam's Wild Coin re-sets, making it very practical for walk around and table hopping.

Lee
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
As Curtis said You Don't Need A cup! I have handleings Where That Change back just in the hands!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
ferraroj
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of ferraroj
Dave, have you published this handling? If so, what is the effect called. Thanks.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi Ferrarj,
Yes the frist handleing is in print! It's in Jerry Mentzer's Close-up File
Pg. 100! It's called Q.C. wild coin!Ok Man Latter!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Marc01
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Marc01
I like Michael Rubinstein's routine Twilight Zone very much (the Spellbound moves are splendid) but I agree with Curtis Kam : the end is "anticlimactic".
Pocketing the coins after each seems not very logical.

A surprise change of all coins at the end (into chinese coins) is the best end, but I failed to find a practical solution (the Roth routine in Expert Coin Magic with all the fake put and fake take is not practical for me).

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Excuse my bad english

Marc
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

IF you switch out the props early on, you can change them and leave them on the table. At worst this means working OUT OF the cup, or as I did, switch the purse early on and bring the coins out to change one at a time.

This gives you the same effect, uses the same moves, yet leaves you with all the changed coins on display as at routine's end. If you work from the cup, you can show that empty at the end if you want.
Marc01
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Marc01
Thanks ,Jonathan. That's very clever.
So you have to switch each coin token out of the purse, before the change?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Not each token individually at the start... that's work. Just the lot at once, preferably while getting the 'wild coin' from wherever you keep it. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Wild Coin (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL