The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New CT Paper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
FYI-

If there's a Big Lots store near you, they've got an interesting paper that I've found is perfect for CT's.

$1 for 210 sheets, think 3x5 index cards, printed lines and all, but imagine index card stock that was made out of newsprint. Stiff but soft, slightly rough surface, doesn't bleed thru and tears like a dream. Excellent for any kind of one-handed tear, too.

Big Lots brand, and they call it Scratch Paper on the label. A couple of bucks and you've got paper for years.

The only downside that I can find is that the five colors are a dull pastel.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Brane
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia, USA
272 Posts

Profile of Brane
Interesting, as I go the other direction for my CT paper. Staples, one of the high quality, 100% cotton papers; Southworth. 32 pound paper. White. I cut it into 3 x 3 sheets and fill my shirt pocket with quite a few.
Writing doesn't bleed through; spec is aware that you can't SEE the writing through it, either. Slightly stiff, so any folds stay crisp and will get refolded properly.
And it tears nicely, too! I imagine it's not as easy to tear as what you've described, but it certainly is no problem. (Osterlind's version.)
I may have one or two of these on the stack in my pocket with some 'notes' on them, which seems to justify why I carry them.
brane
rockbrunnen
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of rockbrunnen
Quote:
On 2009-05-01 00:00, Brane wrote:
I may have one or two of these on the stack in my pocket with some 'notes' on them, which seems to justify why I carry them.

Wow, that's a very nice subtlety. I never thought of that.
Thank you very much!

Rock
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Or, Staples/Office World/99 cent store/Walmart, unlined white blank 3X5 cards.

A pack of six (500 count) index cards for one dollar.

Cut in half and have fun!

You could of course do the same thing with lined cards too, which are also available for the same price.

The justification for the lines also works here.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
A_Blake
View Profile
Loyal user
The Thoughtreader
216 Posts

Profile of A_Blake
Tom...

I discovered the Big Lots! "Scratch Paper" a couple of months ago... nice stuff... cheap, high-pulp, remnant paper made by MeadWestvaco (a major paper manufacturer)... the lines are missprinted and the cuts are funky but they work for a variety of things...

I am a HUGE user of index cards, use them for everything... mostly writing down ideas, notes, lists -- use them for formatting my marketing projects, copywriting snippets, article/book paragraphs... I have literally 100's of packages of index cards in a wide range of sizes, colors, textures, paper... heck, I bought a case of these "Scratch Paper" packages cause I liked them so much...

Not long ago Big Lots! also had packages of the pre-cut Mead "half-size" index cards (3"x2.5") like Cassidy recommends using -- and yes, I bought tons of those too (mainly cause they're hard to find)... tons of great stuff to be had there, at the Dollar Tree stores and any of the bargain stores... I can put together a complete 90-minute mentalism show for less than $5!...

Success!!!

Tony Blake
Artful Mentalism Events
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2009-05-06 01:14, A_Blake wrote:

Not long ago Big Lots! also had packages of the pre-cut Mead "half-size" index cards (3"x2.5") like Cassidy recommends using -- and yes, I bought tons of those too (mainly cause they're hard to find)... tons of great stuff to be had there, at the Dollar Tree stores and any of the bargain stores... I can put together a complete 90-minute mentalism show for less than $5!...

Tony, STAPLES and Office World, in fact most of the chain office supply stores sell those same size pads, lined for about $5.00.

I'm a bit of a cheapskate on some things, this being one of them.

We can simply cut in half the 3X5 cards and save ourselves some $$.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
A_Blake
View Profile
Loyal user
The Thoughtreader
216 Posts

Profile of A_Blake
Reuben...

Keep an eye on Big Lots! -- the often have those half-size index cards in packs of 200 for $1... nice savings of $4...

That's why I bought all they had (plus to assuage my "index card" fetish -- LOL!)...

Success!!!

Tony Blake
Artful Mentalism Events
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2009-05-08 14:33, A_Blake wrote:
Reuben...

Keep an eye on Big Lots! -- the often have those half-size index cards in packs of 200 for $1... nice savings of $4...

That's why I bought all they had (plus to assuage my "index card" fetish -- LOL!)...

Success!!!

Tony Blake
Artful Mentalism Events

Thanks for the heads up.

I only wish they or Staples et al would do the same with unlined index card stock.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New CT Paper (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL