The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Linen Embossed Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Xaethia
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
124 Posts

Profile of Xaethia
What is your opinion on cards which are Linen Embossed?
"Technique beats skill. Psychology beats technique. Philosophy beats all. Think about it." CrdShk
Xaethia
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
124 Posts

Profile of Xaethia
The cards which are threaded with Linen.

It's the same idea as with gaffa tape (gaffa tape has cotton strips through it as well - although the reason they do this is because you don't need scissors to rip it).
"Technique beats skill. Psychology beats technique. Philosophy beats all. Think about it." CrdShk
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Brand? Link? Picture?

I am not sure if I have handled these cards, although I'm sure I have a deck
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Xaethia
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
124 Posts

Profile of Xaethia
Queen's Slipper Poker Playing Cards (their poker cards are different than the bridge version).
Australian made.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Thanks for clarifying this, as a number of US manufacturers have sold cards with a "Linen Finish", which merely meant that the cards were embossed with a cloth-like pattern (very similar to the "Air Cushion" or "Air-Pillow" finish) but not containing any actual threads. These sound interesting, do you know if they are currently being imported to the USA?
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
I am sure that the structure is only pressed onto the plain card stock. Don´t think that there is any thread inside. Just rip one card and you will see that it is plain cardboard.
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Is this any relation to "cambric" finish?

DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2009-05-04 01:58, Xaethia wrote:
The cards which are threaded with Linen.

It's the same idea as with gaffa tape (gaffa tape has cotton strips through it as well - although the reason they do this is because you don't need scissors to rip it).
"Gaffa tape"? Are you referring to GAFFER's Tape? Used for rigging speaker wires, lighting and so on for theater and photography?
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
I'm not sure if they make many Linen Finish decks these days? The word appears when you read about extinct cards, like the Arrco Tahos.

The Massa decks currently en vogue are Linen Finish, but they didn't strike me as anything special.

Linen Finish and Linoid Finish aren't the same, are they?
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Waddingtons here in the UK are linen finish. These are bridge size cards which are sold in most stationary shops, the quality of these cards has IMO dropped over the years.

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - At The Table Lecture - Life's a Beach Vol 1 - Life's A Beach Vol 2 - Alas Chris and Jones.
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
It is only a name. Even Bicycle cards have linen finish, they just call it air-cushion finish due to marketing reasons.
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
SolitarySoul
View Profile
New user
Doylestown, PA
60 Posts

Profile of SolitarySoul
The Bicycles really do have some sort of thread running through them, don't they? Or, am I mistaken?
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
You are mistaken SolitarySoul...

Cardamagically,
Dom.

:) Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Kex
View Profile
Special user
Arlington, Texas
577 Posts

Profile of Kex
I just bought my first deck of Stud Playing Cards... from Walgreens... very nice feel to them and they are linen finished. A shame the ace of spades and jokers aren't anything to should about. The back design could use a bit of improvement but not like the AoS or Js... for $2 you should check them out.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-05-04 17:21, Kex wrote:
I just bought my first deck of Stud Playing Cards... from Walgreens... very nice feel to them and they are linen finished. A shame the ace of spades and jokers aren't anything to should about. The back design could use a bit of improvement but not like the AoS or Js... for $2 you should check them out.

What do you mean? The Stud AS and Jokers are legendary for their beauty! Everybody like those horsies! I love them!
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
Xaethia
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
124 Posts

Profile of Xaethia
What's so good about having a linen finish?
Do people like it being linen finish?

Is it just me, or is more noise produced when a card slides over them (doing sleights) than "normal" finish cards?
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Quote:
On 2009-05-04 17:21, Kex wrote:

the xcm crowd likes the older kind, not commonly found in stores now

I believe these are them-

http://themagicstreet.com/images/CARDSSTUD_red.jpg

Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
The New Anglo Edition 09 are great. you can find them at http://www.gycklaren.com or http://www.el-duco.se
These are cards developed by magicians for magicians.
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
GayLjungberg
View Profile
New user
Sweden
12 Posts

Profile of GayLjungberg
Quote:
On 2009-05-05 04:21, Vibono Magic wrote:
The New Anglo Edition 09 are great. you can find them at http://www.gycklaren.com or http://www.el-duco.se
These are cards developed by magicians for magicians.

This is the official web page: http://www.anglocards.com

Linnen Finish is like someone said more like a name. The cards are embossed and the pattern looks like linnen cloth. Some brands have cards that are embossed after printing, others use cards stock that is embossed already in the paper mill and then printed.

The embossed card resist dirt better than the card with a smooth surface. If you look at an embossed card in a microscope you will see ridges and valleys and the cards ride on the ridges when they are manipulated. I would think that for manipulation, flourishes and XCM, most people would prefer an embossed card to one with a smooth surface.
----------------------------
www.gycklaren.com
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

I'll certainly try some of those Anglo cards, but I think that perhaps I will wait for the limited edition "fashion back colors" coming later this year, if they look OK that is.

I have to come to terms with the depressing fact that I already have enough perfect cards to last me years, and the only reason to buy additional decks would be to get something different.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Linen Embossed Cards (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL