The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Skinner's Monte - stand-up? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1737 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Michael Skinner's Ultimate Three Card Monte - I've gone back to this one lately, and was wondering if anyone does it standing up, without a table? Any pointers?
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Interesting question! I have never done it without something to lay the cards on. Once this entailed doing it on the back of plate held by the spec. Almost any small flat surface will do.

I would think to do it fully without a surface you would have to change the order of things, and make it more of a dealing approach, where you slowly deal and count the cards from one hand into the other, and then turn them up and they are different.

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5902 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Look into Gordon Bean's Monte 3.0
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1636 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Gordon Bean had a monte called 'Temptation 3.0' which is very good.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2722 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Could tuck them into the waist band of your pants. Be kind of odd looking but it would work if no other surface was available.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2009-05-02 08:05, ross welford wrote:
Michael Skinner's Ultimate Three Card Monte - I've gone back to this one lately, and was wondering if anyone does it standing up, without a table? Any pointers?

Ross

I understand the growing importance of strolling routines. I'm wondering however if the Three Card Monte is not a routine where keeping the cards in the hands is not dramatically reducing the impact.

Your question is actually raising an interesting challenge for the non complacent performer.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Instead of the Mike Skinner routine, for strolling or "in the hands" use, I would suggest either Ton Onasaka's "Royal Flush Tonte" (which comes in a great package deal, with the cards in both poker size and jumbo), with a DVD taught by Bob Sheets, or else the "Killer Kitson Miracle", Patrick Page's wonderful improvement on the Dutch Looper Monte, also taught by Bob Sheets.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
827 Posts

Profile of magico
You may want to review the link below.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=203
studentoflife
View Profile
Veteran user
Paris, France
310 Posts

Profile of studentoflife
I think there is no need to create a new topic just for that little following question:

Does someone know where to find gaff cards for that routine with standard Bicycle backs? Smile
- Y
<BR>"Nothing is difficult...it's all about what you want, and how bad you want it."
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
SKinner's Monte is distributed in standard Bicycle backs. If you didn't get Bikes, you probably didn't get Skinner's.
pnielan
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
154 Posts

Profile of pnielan
It is now issued in Bicycle backs, but for many years was issued in Hoyle backs.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2009-05-03 03:13, yif wrote:
I think there is no need to create a new topic just for that little following question:

Does someone know where to find gaff cards for that routine with standard Bicycle backs? Smile

They are available from Marty Grams at martinismagic.com
The gaffs for this were not original with Mike Skinner. The Ultimate Monte routine was merely his version. There have been many, many handlings of this particular set of gaffs going back decades before Skinner's version.
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
dyrwolf
View Profile
New user
The timbers of Fennario
92 Posts

Profile of dyrwolf
Isn't Sidewalk Shuffle a variation on Skinner Monte?
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark — that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2009-05-03 17:19, dyrwolf wrote:
"Sidewalk Shuffle" uses a different set of gaffs. In the book "Martin's Miracles" Martin Lewis credits his inspiration for "Sidewalk Shuffle" to a trick marketed by Ken Brooke called "The Only Three Card Trick with Four Cards," an effect by Joe Riding. I have no idea what the gaffs for that trick were like.
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2722 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2009-05-03 17:19, dyrwolf wrote:

The gaffs are quite a like for Skinner's and Sidewalk Shuffle but not the same effect of course. S.W.S. came out before Skinner's Monte did. Mike's routine maybe older then S.W. as stated above the gaffs are very old and are not Mike's nor are they Martin Lewis's or Joe Ridding's
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Check out CHASE THE ACE... can't beat for a standup version. You can do it with the smaller or jumbo cards, as opposed to the GIGANTIC Chase the Ace Cards.

Ken Brooke considered it more a close up trick, even with the H U G E cards and the final sequence is in spec's hands.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Other versions include Eddie Taytelbaum's "Find the Ace"(which Daryl teaches on "Daryl Does The Full Monte!") and Marty Grams and Rudy Hunter's "Million Dollar Monte". In 1908 Deland's put out a trick called "Pick it Out" using a similar gimmick but I haven't seen this trick to know if the gaffs were the same. many other handlings of this basic set of gaffs have come out over the years.

Skinner's handling is the one I use, as I feel it is a nicely crafted routine with many subtle details that help hide the method.

Although there are obvious similarities in the basic principal and some of the same moves are used,"Sidewalk Shuffle" uses a substantially different set of cards, and is a very different trick. You CANNOT perform the Skinner "Ultimate Monte" routine with the "Sidewalk Shuffle" cards, and vice versa.

I had the great pleasure of seeing Denny Haney perform "Sidewalk Shuffle" for an audience of magicians, and he had us all rolling in the aisles.

Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
bik0z
View Profile
Regular user
France
108 Posts

Profile of bik0z
Maybe "Bammo Monte Monster" by Bob Farmer?

"(...) Do it surrounded, completely in your hands, without a table. Perfect for walk around. Resets Automatically. (...)"
My English sucks, I know it. It's probably better than your French anyway...
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1737 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Wow Thanks for all these responses: this is clearly a popular effect! I went for the Skinner's Monte simply because it was already on my shelf, but I'll check out the others, they're not expensive.
Author.
www.rosswelford.com
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1737 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Wow Thanks for all these responses: this is clearly a popular effect! I went for the Skinner's Monte simply because it was already on my shelf, but I'll check out the others, they're not expensive.
Author.
www.rosswelford.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Skinner's Monte - stand-up? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL