The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Knots and loops Looking for a really wierd rope trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
Hello!

Some years ago I saw a magican do a trick where a rope is found in his sleve. He pulls it but he can't get it out. Later he finds the other end tied to his foot. He unties the rope and start pulling, (the first end of the rope pulls into his sleve) only to find the rope suddenly attached to the other arm - and so on.

Anyone know what I am talking about, where to find it and what its called?

Best,

Ark
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
490 Posts

Profile of DougTait
Ark;
Professor Cheers Rope Trick; Most magic stores carry it. Hocus Pocus carries a $120 version that includes a harness, but the "manual" version can be purchased for $15 or so at other stores.

Doug
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I have one of the cheap ones in stock. What makes it cheap is the finale quality, which can be changed out.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
I actually prefer the "cheap" version.
Mister Mystery
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I prefer the even cheaper version - "Do it Yourself." That way you can decide both the quality of the rope and the quality/theme of the finale. For this one, smooth nylon rope is best with silk Joe Boxers.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Brian S. Tanner
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Brian S. Tanner
Quote:
On 2009-05-04 12:27, Spellbinder wrote:
I prefer the even cheaper version - "Do it Yourself." That way you can decide both the quality of the rope and the quality/theme of the finale. For this one, smooth nylon rope is best with silk Joe Boxers.

What ??? I was expecting to read that Jim Gerrish had a version of this!

Sorry. j/k I couldn't resist
Judge:How do you plead?
<BR>Defendant:I plead insanity.
<BR>Judge:Insanity?
<BR>Defendant:Yep. I'm just crazy about that stuff!
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
Thanks everyone!

I always find myself in the workshop after buying a trick. I have to make the trick the way I want it. I have no problem buying either version - but I would be happier to buy a book where more routines, ideas and versions was written down. Is there such a book on the subject?

/Ark
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
The Cheers effect is a intellectual property, not necessarily public domain. This effect is really clever, but the construction is a no-brainer. Two modifications can be made. Thickness and style of rope, and the style of shorts.
Any variant of this proven effect is pointless.
No workshop is required.
Oh, and by the way, the rope is not tied to the foot, merely tucked in the shoe.
The deal is, that the rope is first seen coming out of the sleeve, then pulled and your leg seems effected, you lift your pants up and show the rope in your sock. You pull on that, and the rope pulls out and the other foot is involved. You start to pull that end, and there is resistance so you pull harder and the shorts come out of your pants leg.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2009-05-04 23:25, B to the T wrote:
What ??? I was expecting to read that Jim Gerrish had a version of this!

Funny you should mention that. You must have seen his Wiz Kids performing Jim's variation where the rope gets pulled out of one Wiz Kid's sleeve only to be attached to another and another. It's like living Chinese Sticks with Rope.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
Thanks magicans!

I'll order a version. Anyone who can recomend a good place to buy it? My regular places didn't carry it.

/Ark
meyegr
View Profile
Special user
Only able to muster
802 Posts

Profile of meyegr
Try the 'sale' area, I am sure there may be someone out there who has one that they are willing to sell
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Vxj,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
Quote:
On 2009-05-07 03:11, Arkadia wrote:
Thanks magicans!

I'll order a version. Anyone who can recomend a good place to buy it? My regular places didn't carry it.

/Ark

Try Pegani he carries it. he calles it "reptreaket"
no problems for us swedes do order and easy payment.
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
Thanks Vibono! I was scanning their page for houres not finding it. Thanks!

By the way, are you a friend of Mr Pink?

/Ark
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-05-07 03:11, Arkadia wrote:
Thanks magicans!

/Ark

As I said, I have the cheaper version in stock.
Russell Scoggin
View Profile
Loyal user
Lubbock, Texas
257 Posts

Profile of Russell Scoggin
I know this isn't answering your question and also probably should be putting this story in the comedy area, but I saw a guy who was drunk (and usually was whenever performing) trying to perform this effect one time for an audience and actually hurt himself. He couldn't get the rope to go any further and then when he jerked on it really hard, he all of sudden went to his knees and said "ooooh...I'll be back in just a second." He then promptly stumbled behind the curtains and then came out holding the rope with the pair of shorts hanging from the rope in his hands. I'm sure the audience was wondering why I was laughing so hard. Everytime I saw this guy trying to perform for an audience, he was almost always drunk and messing up the tricks. I still don't understand how he got booked for shows. I guess that was a trick in itself....who knows?
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Vxj,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
Quote:
On 2009-05-08 02:51, Arkadia wrote:
Thanks Vibono! I was scanning their page for houres not finding it. Thanks!

By the way, are you a friend of Mr Pink?

/Ark

Well yes I am.
As for Pegani he is probubaly sold out at the moment but I'm sure he can get it for you again.
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Knots and loops Looking for a really wierd rope trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL