The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Cheap swami (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Shamind
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Shamind
I don't know if I was first to invent something like this, but it was my own creativity and being a new member here, I decided to share the idea.

Basically, it's a small and very effective stick-on swami gimmick that you can make very cheaply/easily. Setbacks are that you'll need to maintain it to use the same one many times (but if you try this, normally you'll have the supplies to create multiples); and it's harder to use with a greasy thumb. Just read further and share what you think.

What you need (you can google these to figure out what they are):
-Double sided foam tape: the stickier, the more dependable.
-Sawtooth hanger: consider the graphite you use and the size of your thumb.
-Pencil graphite: I just use the graphite from a regular #2 wood pencil.
-Superglue

Instruction:
Take the hanger and break it in half. If the half is just small enough to keep hidden under the pad of your thumb, you chose the right size. Cut a small piece of the tape just large enough to cover the half-hanger. Stick the tape to the PICTURE SIDE of the hanger (so that the hole where the nail would go through extends toward the tape). Take the amount of (sharpened) graphite you'd like to use, ie around a quarter of an inch?, and place the non-sharp part into the exposed hole so that the tape just holds it there. Secure it with a little bit of super glue and let dry.

That's it! Just practice with the first one and figure out what works best for you. I've used this many times and it works like a charm. Just have to remove the layer on the tape and stick it to my thumb and it's ready.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Welcome to the Café. The idea above has basically been made and done 300 different ways but don't let that discourage you from coming up with new stuff.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
It's kind of hard to tell from the description but is he describing a variation of the Boon Writer???

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Shamind
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Shamind
I haven't heard of the boon writer, but I described a writer that sticks to your thumb. It doesn't discourage or surprise me that this idea has been done before. I was just in a store around the time that I heard of swami and managed to find very cheap supplies to make one out of. If I can find a way to take a picture of the ones I made, I'll post it.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
That kind of describes how a Boon writer works. The Boon is about the size of a thumb tack and is reusable. I am a fan of the Swami gimmick for many, many years even having it worked on me by a gent on the streets of Bangkok in 1972. I didn't see what he was using, he hid it well. I always liked the ones that Johnson Products turned out. Easy to load and easy to ditch.

Take a pic if you can. I'd love to see it.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Cheap swami (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL