The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Please debate Oil and Water (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
This is how I do it. Can't remember if this has been posted here before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-EiHtd8UxY

The source is documented in the video.

Oh, and in keeping with the initial poster's question:

Yes I like the trick.
Why . . . because the effect is clear and that is all too rare a thing, in card tricks.

KG
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27149 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Hi edh. glad you liked that partial sript. The approach comes from Jerry Deutsch's notion of perverse magic as he discusses it on the genii bbs with a new trick each month here. He's been a champion for character based thinking in routine design for as long as I can remember. -Jon
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2009-05-05 01:39, pepka wrote:
Oil and Water is one of my favorite tricks. The handling I use most often is by Mike Skinner in his book. I changed the 2nd phase and wrote my own presentation, but he has a great idea to end the routine.

I've posted this in depth elsewhere, but just a "credit police" note: The routine in the Skinner book is Aldo Colombini's, not Skinner's. Ray Grismer learned it in Europe and taught it to Skinner. The same routine appears in Aldo's book "Impact" which pre-dates the Skinner book. Ray told me personally that he learned it from a European magi who told him it was Aldo's. Ray lived in the same apartment bldg as Skinner, David Roth, Jeff Altman, and others. When he got home, he showed it to Skinner, who was impressed and begged Ray to teach it to him.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
bobon
View Profile
Regular user
Hyderabad .India
165 Posts

Profile of bobon
I perform Ascanio's version.Simple and clear.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27149 Posts

Any thoughts on taking the trick into a gaffed packet trick?

once you can start using dupes and sticking cards together you do have some handling options - though at the expense of being able to use a borrowed deck, take the cards from a deck, and needing to watch out for folks asking to see the cards for good reasons.
Anthony Owen
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
204 Posts

Profile of Anthony Owen
I have a few handlings for my Ultimate Oil and Water which are gaffed, but which enable all the cards to be examined before and after. It'll be offered as a free bonus - along with another bonus handling by David Regal - to all purchasers in the near future.

Best,

Anthony Owen
facebook.com/anthony.owen1
Twitter @anthonyowenmagi
Anthony Owen exclusive products at TVMagic.co.uk
bodybyfood
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of bodybyfood
The first time I was shown an Oil and Water effect, it wasn't really explained with any type of story. The guy just said here's a red card, here's a black card, now by looking at the backs, try to guess which row to put them in. I didn't really know what to expect and because of that, it made more of an impression me when he revealed I had "correctly" guessed all the cards!

Maybe this a different version of O&W than most of you are refering to, but I still feel that less is sometimes more. It's kind of like Christmas: it was magical when we were kids because we didn't know what to expect until the moment we unwraped the gift and found out what the present was; now, we basically get what we ask for or within 5 seconds of picking up and holding the present we've figured out what it is - it's no longer magical because we're looking for the ending. If you don't like the "oil not mixing with water" idea, try showing the effect with minimal patter. Make the spectator feel like he made the magic happen and you won't need to use a story to get a good reaction.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2009-05-17 15:36, bodybyfood wrote:
The first time I was shown an Oil and Water effect, it wasn't really explained with any type of story. The guy just said here's a red card, here's a black card, now by looking at the backs, try to guess which row to put them in. I didn't really know what to expect and because of that, it made more of an impression me when he revealed I had "correctly" guessed all the cards!

Maybe this a different version of O&W than most of you are refering to, but I still feel that less is sometimes more. It's kind of like Christmas: it was magical when we were kids because we didn't know what to expect until the moment we unwraped the gift and found out what the present was; now, we basically get what we ask for or within 5 seconds of picking up and holding the present we've figured out what it is - it's no longer magical because we're looking for the ending. If you don't like the "oil not mixing with water" idea, try showing the effect with minimal patter. Make the spectator feel like he made the magic happen and you won't need to use a story to get a good reaction.

That sounds more like an Out of This World effect than an Oil and Water.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
bodybyfood
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of bodybyfood
Oops, sorry. It is at least a similar storyline/principle though, right (I know the actual effects are different)?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27149 Posts

In most people's shows, no.

However I can imagine using what you wrote as the patter for doing oil and water and having it work. The key to the handling would be to emphasize the fair dealdown, only talk about the shuffle and selections into two piles and pick up the action as "and when he picked up the cards I could see they really were all the reds and all the blacks".
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4866 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
The premise is easy to understand by the audience and therefore the magic they see makes sense. I find that it is one of my audience's favorite effects based on feedback and years of experience. The one I do is in my book and called "Urokinase". Eight cards, no extras or gaffs, borrowed deck. Totally impromptu.

Larry
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Quote:
On 2009-05-10 21:46, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-05-05 01:39, pepka wrote:
Oil and Water is one of my favorite tricks. The handling I use most often is by Mike Skinner in his book. I changed the 2nd phase and wrote my own presentation, but he has a great idea to end the routine.

I've posted this in depth elsewhere, but just a "credit police" note: The routine in the Skinner book is Aldo Colombini's, not Skinner's. Ray Grismer learned it in Europe and taught it to Skinner. The same routine appears in Aldo's book "Impact" which pre-dates the Skinner book. Ray told me personally that he learned it from a European magi who told him it was Aldo's. Ray lived in the same apartment bldg as Skinner, David Roth, Jeff Altman, and others. When he got home, he showed it to Skinner, who was impressed and begged Ray to teach it to him.

I never knew that. Thanks Scott!
ricardo carpenter
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of ricardo carpenter
A very good one is from Shigeo Futagawa (from Subtle card magic by Nick Trost).
With the 4 aces. Easy to do, to remember, and very well constructed.
swamy
View Profile
Regular user
INDIA
152 Posts

Profile of swamy
The effect "Matched Pair" by Tom Ransom is a nice eight card effect.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Juan Tamariz's has made me a believer in the routine. I have never liked oil and water, but his is perfect.
Cardician99
View Profile
Regular user
Maryland
158 Posts

Profile of Cardician99
A very deceptive Oil & Water theme with a killer ending is: "Oil & Queens," by Roy Walton (Complete Walton, Vol. 1). Fast and to the point: 8 cards shown as mixed red/black. 4 dealt cleanly to table; 4 held.

4 held cards revealed to be all black. Although spectators are expecting all reds, tabled cards are turned over revealing instead the 4 Queens. No gaffs. Handling is very clean and effect easy to do.

(I've "tweaked" the routine (not handling) into a packet trick. If you ALREADY know "Oil & Queens" and would like a description, PM me.)
moualb
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of moualb
I always thought that O&W theme goes well with the Follow the Leader theme :
so I do a 8 cards routine with 2 phases O&W and ends with FTT
Shawn74
View Profile
Loyal user
New Mexico
211 Posts

Profile of Shawn74
I believe that construction and presentation of the Oil and Water effect are what can make it or break it, as was stated earlier it runs a lot of the risks of and Ambitious Cart Routine. I have seen a few where the effect just seems to go on and on and on, with the magician stating exactly what he's doing over and over and over. Routines like that tend to get under my skin. I feel that if an effect isn't what I call a "quick trick", the patter really needs to have a premise or story element to it in order to keep the spectators interested. Just MHO.

That being said I perform Guy Hollingworth's Oil and Water and have great success with it. There are only 2 phases to it and the patter I use involves my high school Science teacher and a passing grade.

Hope this is helpful

Shawn
Hold your breath...make a wish...count to 3... and you'll be in a world of pure imagination
Willy Wonka
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1371 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On 2009-05-30 16:31, Cardician99 wrote:
A very deceptive Oil & Water theme with a killer ending is: "Oil & Queens," by Roy Walton (Complete Walton, Vol. 1). Fast and to the point: 8 cards shown as mixed red/black. 4 dealt cleanly to table; 4 held.

4 held cards revealed to be all black. Although spectators are expecting all reds, tabled cards are turned over revealing instead the 4 Queens. No gaffs. Handling is very clean and effect easy to do.

(I've "tweaked" the routine (not handling) into a packet trick. If you ALREADY know "Oil & Queens" and would like a description, PM me.)

Very glad you mentioned this version. It's also in vol 6 dvd of Ammars card magic.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Has anyone ever tried Japanese Aces? It only uses the 4 Aces.

Also Derren Browns O&W in his Devil's Picture Book DVD is very nice.
Magic is a vanishing art.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Please debate Oil and Water (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.45 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL