The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Petition the USPCC to continue gaff and custom prints (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Thanks Kaliix!

MMc
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Quote:
On 2009-05-05 18:14, MagicMan1957 wrote:
Maybe there are other issues that the company has not made public?

Since their decks are of course mainly used by the general public for poker etc often involving gambling, possibly their attorneys would worry about gamblers not wanting to use Bicycle cards anymore knowing that they are also made by them with double backs, double faces, long n short and even MARKED cards? And direct from their own factory and available to possibly cheat with in real gambling situations?

It's a stretch but who knows.

Also in another thread Tim Trono stated he is working with Paul Harris to get Twilight Angel decks made and they were off to the printers soon. I assumed these were being printed by the USPCC?

Has the USPCC actually released a recent public statement about not printing gaffed cards anymore?

Boris Wild also booked another run of his marked decks. All who already produced gaffed backs were allowed to print one FINAL LAST run of his cards. And then it is over. It is just a delay of the printing stop, that is all.
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Wait, so does this mean that they do cater to their customers? How truly odd.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
No, they cater to customers, as long as it pays them to.
Dante_Ravenkin
View Profile
New user
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
90 Posts

Profile of Dante_Ravenkin
Kalix, thanks for that post, and the effort to get the information!

So I'm curious about all this, after a discussion with a colleague. Reading between the lines, does this mean that printing different coloured decks at the behest of companies like Ellusionist, would cause them to lose the trademark? I mean, I know the Rider Back is USPCC. Through and through. But how about the Black Ghost? Tigers? Etc? Is THAT what may cause USPCC to lose the TM?
I don't use gaff cards very often at all, with the exception of Twilight Angels. (and God help us all, should those become impossible cards to find....) But I don't want to see my magic Brethren stifled because they cannot get the cards they need.

Nothing against Ellusionist or anyone else, but I'd gladly trade all the special decks in the world, for Gaffs in standard Red and Blue Bikes.
'For Those Who Believe, No Explanation is Necessary. For Those Who Do Not, None Will Suffice.' - Joseph Dunninger

~Kirk~
Maestro
View Profile
Special user
802 Posts

Profile of Maestro
Quote:
On 2009-05-05 21:22, kcg5 wrote:
Wait, so does this mean that they do cater to their customers? How truly odd.

So true, haha... sometimes it does pay to have a little hope.
AlienSpaceBat
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of AlienSpaceBat
Quote:
On 2009-05-05 19:09, Kaliix wrote:
Okay, since it seems no one is reading the thread on this in the Gaffed and Funky section, and the misinformation is killing me, I'm taking it upon my self to quote the relevant post from that forum here. I hope that doing so is okay.

Quote:
Regards,

Aaron Haid

I checked with Aaron and he gave me permission to include his email address.

AaronHaid@usplayingcard.com

Did you not notice that I specifically referred to what Aaron Haid had said earlier on in *this* thread ? Smile

The problem, of course, is that the 2nd hand message referred to is getting on for 3 months old now - and many posts have been made since by other Café members to say that they have different information coming their way.
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Your hope dies last. I think I made it clear already what will be possible and what not. Said by a representative from USPCC just over the last few weeks as I permanently stay in contact with them.

A different color does not change the look of the Bicycle back, so different colors should be no problem. If you want to perform the Twilight Angels I would stock as much as I can as this will be not possible in the future as long as theyr law department exists. And I think they will stay there for the next time. Smile

Chinese Proverb
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Card Shark - so you are saying that double backs and double facers and blanks will be printed? Just not anything that changes the bike copyrighted design correct?

If that is the case, that's fine... my concern was loosing the standard gaffs.

If all this means just loosing custom gaffs that change the design, that is somewhat tolerable since we can go third party for those...
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Quote:
If all this means just loosing custom gaffs that change the design, that is somewhat tolerable since we can go third party for those...

Perhaps not, if you intend on using Bicycle designs. USPCC has expressed a clear interest in protecting their trademarks, which means that they would be obligated to attempt to stop anyone from using their designs.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I would certainly agree with you if you were trying to sell any decks with infringed on their trademark. I'm not sure however, if one only made them for oneself and only used them in there closeup act that USPCC would spend time tracking you down. I could be wrong, but realistically I'm not sure they would care.

Quote:
On 2009-05-06 09:38, Open Traveller wrote:
Quote:

Perhaps not, if you intend on using Bicycle designs. USPCC has expressed a clear interest in protecting their trademarks, which means that they would be obligated to attempt to stop anyone from using their designs.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
There is a slight difference between things they are not allowing to be printed (like Twilight Angels) and things that can be printed (but don´t have to be).

Any cards with a changed back design (more than just the color) or the Ace of Spades or the Jokers won´t be allowed by USPCC, therefor these kind of cards will disappear after a while.

The other decks like double facers or double backers will not be STOCKED by USPCC as their politics is to reduce their storage costs. So two totally different things that both touch our magic community. As long as a magic dealer or wholesaler is willing to buy at least 5000 decks made up for him with double facers or double backers, there will be a chance to get them.

But a dealer has to invest a lot to buy these 5000 decks, so the chances are also high that the prices for these kind of decks will increase IMHO.

Chinese Proverb
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-05-06 09:55, Kaliix wrote:
I would certainly agree with you if you were trying to sell any decks with infringed on their trademark. I'm not sure however, if one only made them for oneself and only used them in there closeup act that USPCC would spend time tracking you down. I could be wrong, but realistically I'm not sure they would care.

I agree with you. I thought we were talking about mass production and sales.
AlienSpaceBat
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of AlienSpaceBat
After all this speculation, I asked Aaron Haid at USPCC. This is his reply to me today:

********************************************************************************
Ian-

It is true that USPC does not want to make modifications to our registered trademarks. However, it’s not true that we will not print gaff decks that do not change our trademarks, although every print request is evaluated case-by-case. USPC wants to support the growth of the magic market and community, but as you outlined and have seen on the Magic Café we do not want to do it at the expense of the Bicycle brand. As you note the Bicycle brand is important to the magic community and it’s in all of our best interests to protect it.

Again, all print requests are evaluated individually, but for the most part we will print gaff decks as long as they don’t alter our trademarks.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,

Aaron Haid

Sr. Brand Manager

USPC

*********************************************************************************

That seems pretty clear to me that standard utility gaffs WILL continue to be printed. Smile
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Which gaffs alter the trade mark?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
That is very encouraging.
Mark Reed
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Quote:
On 2009-05-06 14:31, Frank Starsini wrote:
Which gaffs alter the trade mark?

I would assume one like Twilight Angels... or the king on the joker...etc
Mark Reed
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
3 cheers for the non-believers! we some how had faith.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Everybody knows the Boris Wild Marked Deck, do you? There are small written letters on it. This is already too much for them! Every change that change the DESIGN of the back will be impossible. No overlapping, no partly printed, no fading etc. No other card printed on top of the back design. The same with the faces of the Ace of Spades and the Jokers. So no riding Kings together on one bicycle, no hidden texts in the Guarantee Joker.

This is still an interesting range for us the custom card manufacturers and as I still print onto blank Bicycle stock I could do these kind of cards. But this will be no mass production like before.

And this is also the reason to come up with a new deck of cards that will not have these limitations...

Chinese Proverb
dyrwolf
View Profile
New user
The timbers of Fennario
94 Posts

Profile of dyrwolf
Looks like a non-event as far as I am concerned.

I won't do any effects that change the faces/backs. IT SCREAMS GAFF.

If I can gaff one card, everything is fake. IMHO

My DB and DF (which I use liberaly), skinner aces, ect are still fine.

Non-issue
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark — that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Petition the USPCC to continue gaff and custom prints (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL