The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Thought Transmitter-Question about appearance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

M for Magic
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of M for Magic
Hi Guys,
I just purchased John Cornelius' 'Thought Transmitter' trick. I think the actual trick is effective and like it very much.... but, I have an issue with the way it looks. In a nutshell it is plastic and I have a hard time making the case as to why I have this plastic notecase on me and not a leather wallet or leather notecase. Is there a way to replace the plastic case with a special leather one made by a third party?
Just wondering. Thanks.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I have been using this prop for about 5 years now. I have NEVER been questioned about the wallet. Ever. Lay people do not care. To them is is a note wallet. To a magician it is a peek wallet. Get over your "Magician's Guilt" and the wallet's appearance will become a non-issue. Smile
irishmagic
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of irishmagic
I use my thought transmitter almost every day. I have never been asked what it is because I tell them that it is note wallet and my wording is as follows, and this is a note wallet you've seen these before "YES" and I've never had anyone disagree. Hope this helps you.

MIKE
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1050 Posts

Profile of tdowell
I don't draw any attention to the wallet or mention it at all. I just show them a sticky on the middle and have them draw one of the characters on the plastic card. I band it up and point to the card while doing the peek. This draws their eyes away and I quickly set it down away from me.

The wallet is really never in my posession for more than 10 seconds and once it is away from me I don't pay any attention to it so it never becomes the focus of the effect. No one has ever asked to see it, although I too was worried about that when I first started using it.

Good luck.
Fred E. Bert
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
359 Posts

Profile of Fred E. Bert
I think this effect can be even more powerful if you allow the SPECTATOR to make a prediction. Tell your spectator she will be the mentalist - she is to ask you to think of one of the symbols on the card (provided with the Thought Transmitter) and she will write her prediction down, close the wallet and wrap it with a rubber band. She gives you back the wallet, saying that her prediction is sealed and there is no way for her to change it (you tell her this, and she repeats what you say). You announce which symbol or letter or number you're thinking of. You open the wallet and show her prediction -- it matches! This is a much more powerful presentation than the standard handling. It takes the heat off the wallet (which no one will question) and makes the spectator the star!
Tim Taylor
View Profile
Veteran user
1970 - 2012
375 Posts

Profile of Tim Taylor
This may be old news. Have any of you ever had the spectator seal it in a clear ziplock bag?
For me this really adds to the effect. Smile
"Even a mosquito gets a slap on the back for a job well done" - Tim Taylor
blsorg
View Profile
Regular user
Charleston WV
149 Posts

Profile of blsorg
I think you're worried too much about it. Been using it for quite some time and that has never been an issue.
- Time flies like an arrow; Fruit flies like a banana! -

http://www.WVmagic.net
jfkkraemer
View Profile
Elite user
SoCal
481 Posts

Profile of jfkkraemer
I love this effect, .Benn performing it for a year now and I have never had any heat on the wallet yet. Hey Tim I really like your zip lock bag idea, sounds good.

Jeff K
JosephKerr
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
421 Posts

Profile of JosephKerr
Hey the Zip-loc idea also works with opaque pay envelopes. But that's probably a bit much...
"Challenge Your Reality"
magicmanr
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of magicmanr
The ziplock bag idea is GREAT.......That's how I use it.....You hold open the ziplock bag, let them drop it inside....then you hold the Thought Transmitter (getting your peek) while they seal the top of the ziplock....it gives you a reason to hold it for the second needed Smile
Jailhouse Jonny
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Jailhouse Jonny
Hey it's genuine Naugahide! You know how many Naugas they had to kill to make this?

It pretty much is the same cheapo covers they give you at the bank with your checkbook, so I don't think it's too suspect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Thought Transmitter-Question about appearance (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL